House Price Crash Forum
OnlyMe

Legal Dam Being Breached

The leaks are springing out in multiple places, obviously the next target area.

http://www.thelawyer.com/pinsents-%E2%80%9...1001120.article

Pinsents – first firm to offshore work of qualified UK lawyers

22 June 2009 | By Luke McLeod-Roberts, Julia Berris

National firm to outsource litigation work to South Africa as offshoring revolution gathers pace

Pinsent Masons is gearing up to make significant cost savings by outsourcing work to South Africa, becoming the first firm to offshore the work of qualified lawyers.

Pinsents is outsourcing litigation work to lawyers working for business services company Exigent in South Africa

The legal sector could be vastly pared down. Since information has been democratised by the internet it's eroded the power professions like law have.

I could see DIY conveyancing becoming feasible at some point, perhaps with the assistance of someone online.

The leaks are springing out in multiple places, obviously the next target area.

http://www.thelawyer.com/pinsents-%E2%80%9...1001120.article

Pinsents – first firm to offshore work of qualified UK lawyers

22 June 2009 | By Luke McLeod-Roberts, Julia Berris

National firm to outsource litigation work to South Africa as offshoring revolution gathers pace

Pinsent Masons is gearing up to make significant cost savings by outsourcing work to South Africa, becoming the first firm to offshore the work of qualified lawyers.

Pinsents is outsourcing litigation work to lawyers working for business services company Exigent in South Africa

Nice - up the value ladder the process goes, wonder how long before shareholders outsource company boardrooms eh? Why bother paying a UK exec a mill plus bonuses - an Indian exec will work harder for less! :lol:

Middle class membership of the BNP to soar? :blink:

Guest sillybear2

I bet they thought globalisation only applied to crop pickers and phone bashers.

This on top of http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...17264&st=45 - post 54 onwards.

I would like it to become a trend but so many MPs are lawyers that I imagine that it will be stopped in its tracks.

p-o-p

and judges and with them also controling the mejia and police is it any wonder we are being milked by a bunch of thugs that are little better than the mafia.

lets reduce the speed limit to save 5 lives a year (Hand out more fines) and forget the people that 1000's are dieing in hospitals because many of the drugs being used are 3rd world drugs or should we just drop a few smart bombs on inicent people in Iran and then send our boys in to get killed so we can grab the oil.

wake up people it's him today and you tomorrow unless we do something about it.

Good.

I'm an engineer and have had to prove my value is greater than the 10 engineers that they could replace me with in China or India every day for the last 5 years.

If I can succeed in this situation, I don't see why lawyers (or anyone else) should get special treatment if they don't feel that I should have any special protection.

Guest BoomBoomCrash

You can guarantee that once cosy middle-class professions start getting hit by outsourcing it will quickly be declared the greatest evil to befall humanity.

I remember a time when the word 'cheap' was an insult. It seems very fashionable to use the word competetive when what they mean is cheap.

We will undercut ourselves into poverty and starvation.

I remember a time when the word 'cheap' was an insult.

We will undercut ourselves into poverty and starvation.

Good comment, Eighties Girl.

When I first went to Russia, not so long ago, foreigners would laugh and deride the content of the average Russian household. Cheapo plates, bendy knives and forks, tacky shower curtains that melted in hot water.

Now people queue up in Pound Shops to buy stuff that is even worse than anything you could find before the Berlin Wall fell.

I just don't get it.

Good comment, Eighties Girl.

When I first went to Russia, not so long ago, foreigners would laugh and deride the content of the average Russian household. Cheapo plates, bendy knives and forks, tacky shower curtains that melted in hot water.

Now people queue up in Pound Shops to buy stuff that is even worse than anything you could find before the Berlin Wall fell.

I just don't get it.

I was in Poundland in Brixton the other week and they had an alarming abundance of the book 'Littlejohn's Britian'. I bet no shops in the GDR could deliver 300 pages of cab driver-esque ranting for so little.

Guest BoomBoomCrash
I was in Poundland in Brixton the other week and they had an alarming abundance of the book 'Littlejohn's Britian'. I bet no shops in the GDR could deliver 300 pages of cab driver-esque ranting for so little.

I would have thought you an Littlejohn were fairly closely aligned ideologically.

Good.

I'm an engineer and have had to prove my value is greater than the 10 engineers that they could replace me with in China or India every day for the last 5 years.

If I can succeed in this situation, I don't see why lawyers (or anyone else) should get special treatment if they don't feel that I should have any special protection.

Yes it should either be done completely or not at all. If it is done completely to me it is another feather in the cap of a powerful deflation.

There are millions in India who are very bright, hardworking, professional and would be thrilled to earn £20 an hour doing legal work. Back where they live rent for a whole month is like £20, so its a lot of money.

Good.

Only five! I've been in the same boat for the last fifteen. Fortunately it's been long enough for some firms to now know better. Still, there's always some idiot manager who knows better than everyone else.

1. Pinsents are a shambles. Yes, they have a couple of excellent people but on the whole, they are absolutely terrible as a firm - the standards are so variable it's untrue.

2. outsourcing can work - yes, there are some jobs that a monkey can do - making them cheaper is a good thing, buy I bet it's puttung paralegals out of work, not proper lawyers (likle proof-reading !)

3. someone mentioned conveyancing being DIY - with how little conveyancers charge for dealing with people's biggest assset, if you want to put all the risk on yourself of getting it wrong or missing something without several million poundso f indemnity cover to save £300 to £400, I presume you also think it's not worth paying someone else to service your gas fire, why not do it yourself. It's absolutely stupid for most people - but if you are so tight and gung ho, go for it.

4. If you outsource the grunt work on costs, how do your trainees and juniors learn - it's ridiculous.

There are projects like this - each one has been a total and complete failure - some daft management committee thinks up ways to be radical - they just don't work - I don't know how many of you have ever tried to do anything in say India - it's almost impossible - they are almost universally awful. Now, if that's my corporate due diligence being ballsed up by someone and I am paying for it, I will be furious - I suspect a lot of these clients don't get how their bill will actually be increasing as a result of this sort of crap.

Edited by Rachman

1. Pinsents are a shambles. Yes, they have a couple of excellent people but on the whole, they are absolutely terrible as a firm - the standards are so variable it's untrue.

2. outsourcing can work - yes, there are some jobs that a monkey can do - making them cheaper is a good thing, buy I bet it's puttung paralegals out of work, not proper lawyers (likle proof-reading !)

3. someone mentioned conveyancing being DIY - with how little conveyancers charge for dealing with people's biggest assset, if you want to put all the risk on yourself of getting it wrong or missing something without several million poundso f indemnity cover to save £300 to £400, I presume you also think it's not worth paying someone else to service your gas fire, why not do it yourself. It's absolutely stupid for most people - but if you are so tight and gung ho, go for it.

4. If you outsource the grunt work on costs, how do your trainees and juniors learn - it's ridiculous.

There are projects like this - each one has been a total and complete failure - some daft management committee thinks up ways to be radical - they just don't work - I don't know how many of you have ever tried to do anything in say India - it's almost impossible - they are almost universally awful. Now, if that's my corporate due diligence being ballsed up by someone and I am paying for it, I will be furious - I suspect a lot of these clients don't get how their bill will actually be increasing as a result of this sort of crap.

Good points, Rachman. I'm a self-employed commercial property lawyer and it amazes me how many business people contact me with a problem with their lease having taken no legal advice when they originally signed up. It usually ends up costing them thousands when the cost of up front advice would have been a fraction of that.

For some reason legal advice is seen to be unnecessary until things go wrong. The old 'prevention is better than cure' mantra doesn't seem to apply at the moment.