House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

subby

Who Wants A Fight?

http://subby-mccaw.mybrute.com

enter your name...or any name...and fight me :lol:

it's free, you don't have to sign up and it's bloody addictive :P

you get 6 fights to start with then 3 each day to build your Brute up with

come on and fight...if you think you're hard enough ;)

I got slashed with the knife and I'm not happy! ;) Where are my weapons, I didn't get any, it is rigged i tell you, rigged!!

level up gets you new stuff. Your 3 areas of strength, agility and speed are determined by what your Brute is called.

I happened to get really good agility but I@m not strong but I can dodge a lot of attacks.

also my wee dog is a decent way of attacking along with me :)

Wondered why you needed to validate yourself with the captcha text when you played this game even though you cant play it just watch it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha

Maybe its because its validating a captcha for an email system like Hotmail, Google Mail or Yahoo so that the mail accounts can then send out spam.

I wouldnt use it if you want to reduce spam its too fishy for me.

Eh? It didn't take an email address from me, so how exactly is it going to increase my risk of being spammed? I suspect they're using CAPTCHA to prevent awkward buggers sodding up their system with autoplaying programs.

Eh? It didn't take an email address from me, so how exactly is it going to increase my risk of being spammed? I suspect they're using CAPTCHA to prevent awkward buggers sodding up their system with autoplaying programs.

...is the right answer, it doesn't ask for an email address..... :huh:

Wondered why you needed to validate yourself with the captcha text when you played this game even though you cant play it just watch it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha

Maybe its because its validating a captcha for an email system like Hotmail, Google Mail or Yahoo so that the mail accounts can then send out spam.

I wouldnt use it if you want to reduce spam its too fishy for me.

I'd respectfully ask you to take back that comment and edit it out completely. It's unfounded. There is no way to spam you seeing as you don't sign up for anything ;)

who's gonna make it to level 10 first and create a HPC clan? :D

Says the level 17, dog-wielding death machine with enough pupils to start his own state funded faith school.

My point although I have asked why there is a captcha.

Looking at the site in a little more detail, I find it beyond imagination that said CAPTCHA is there for any reasons other than stopping malicious buggers breaking the game - that would be a hell of a lot of artistic effort to go to just to set up a few hotmail accounts (or whatever). Whilst I appreciate a healthy degree of skepticisim is required with all things internet-related, this lot perfectly clean to me.

I'd be interested in your opinion to as to why someone would want to bugger the game up though, maybe there is something I just dont get?

Sheer malicious intent, that's all. I see no reason why it's fair to assume guilt on the part of a site designer and innocence on the part of everyone else.

As far as taking the game down is concerned, I suspect all you'd need to do is autogen characters for a weekend (I doubt it's actively administered) and then enter them into fights constantly, thereby 'ruining the game'. If I was a betting man, I'd say the reason the author(s) is restricting entry is because he's been done over in precisely this way before. It's no different to CAPTCHA codes on forum signups - they're a simple to implement method of preventing an irritating exploit of the system.

Sheer malicious intent, that's all. I see no reason why it's fair to assume guilt on the part of a site designer and innocence on the part of everyone else.

As far as taking the game down is concerned, I suspect all you'd need to do is autogen characters for a weekend (I doubt it's actively administered) and then enter them into fights constantly, thereby 'ruining the game'. If I was a betting man, I'd say the reason the author(s) is restricting entry is because he's been done over in precisely this way before. It's no different to CAPTCHA codes on forum signups - they're a simple to implement method of preventing an irritating exploit of the system.

It's not uncommon for Captcha's to be hacked in the way that tr1ck5t3r is suggesting.

For instance from the binrev forums:

phr34kc0derFeb 4 2009, 05:29 PMQUOTE (Colonel Panic @ Feb 4 2009, 07:54 PM) *QUOTE (chown @ Feb 3 2009, 02:01 AM) *There's also the methods that basically involve malware that socially engineers people to decipher CAPTCHAs -- which are becoming more common.Sounds like kind of a wonky solution. How does that work?Is it a botnet with malware installed on its zombie army that somehow injects an interstitial page (containing the CAPTCHA) into the users' Web browsers in real time, then phones that information home to the attacker?One way i heard was to setup an online flash game where users can undress a girl by entering the correct CAPTCHAs. The bad guys get a load of CAPTCHA's done while people think their just playing a game.QUOTEAs far as I am aware from experience, I know atleast alot of users ignore certificates and agree to them, I am not sure of the amount that refuse however to verify this. I know for a fact that many call centers just simply tell users to agree to certificate warnings as well, I've successfully done SSL MiTM attacks many times and succeeded many times.I've been playing around with this myself recently. Thanks to firefox 3 i've found users are less likely to accept certificates either because1) They dont know how (it's alot harder than pressing "OK")2) The "bad cert" page looks like a page not found and most users wont read it and will just keep pressing refresh.Cant say for IE as the networks i've been on have been firefox 3 only.

Looking at the site in a little more detail, I find it beyond imagination that said CAPTCHA is there for any reasons other than stopping malicious buggers breaking the game - that would be a hell of a lot of artistic effort to go to just to set up a few hotmail accounts (or whatever). Whilst I appreciate a healthy degree of skepticisim is required with all things internet-related, this lot perfectly clean to me.

It's not for a few hotmail accounts though - it's for many thousands of hotmail/yahoo/gmail etc accounts (1 for every captcha that everyone enters) that will each send many thousands of spams before they're cancelled.

As I said before, I'm not saying it doesn't happen, merely that I don't think it's happening in this particular case, and none of us can prove it either way.

The stripping girl example makes a lot more sense to me in the context of something like this, as it's picking up an awful lot of codes for very little actual effort, and assuming there were a number of strippable picture set available, would generate a lot results quickly. I suspect it also wasn't being used as a means of pushing an iPhone paid download minigame.

Guest theboltonfury
http://subby-mccaw.mybrute.com

enter your name...or any name...and fight me :lol:

it's free, you don't have to sign up and it's bloody addictive :P

you get 6 fights to start with then 3 each day to build your Brute up with

come on and fight...if you think you're hard enough ;)

Before I start, is this better or worse than Daley Thompson's Decathlon for the Spectrum?

you don't do the fighting, you are like a trainer type. You choose who to fight and the game character fights for you.

Guest X-QUORK
Before I start, is this better or worse than Daley Thompson's Decathlon for the Spectrum?

All I'll say is I've lost two minutes I'll never be able to get back.

Guest theboltonfury
All I'll say is I've lost two minutes I'll never be able to get back.

Thanks mate, that's all I need to know.