House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest UK Debt Slave

What Is Up With This Bloody Website

Half out, half in - been ill so have not worked for a few years and doubt that I will go back to IT as IT was a major component of why I became ill.

:lol:

I no longer wish to to do the travel, staying in hotels, etc, but where I live, Swansea,

;)I just fell over, almost died and 5 years latrer am still not 100%.

You know its good to learn more stuff about people on here. The people who post the most annoying shit, tend to be the most pathetic people you'd never want to meet. Figures. I especially loved the bit about checking DNS in your browsers - all of them - haha you hadnt heard of nslookup while getting certified. The fact you tried one browser, didnt work, checked another, etc shows me your level of IT understanding is actually pretty low.

Oh and congratulations to the person that got his CCNA, what the IT failures here dont realise is that it shows a willingness to keep your skillbase upto date and improve yourself. Some people get it, others dont. But well done!

Oh and congratulations to the person that got his CCNA, what the IT failures here dont realise is that it shows a willingness to keep your skillbase upto date and improve yourself. Some people get it, others dont. But well done!

Have to agree with this. I could not have even got over the first hurdle of the recruitment consultant sift for the jobs I have had over the years without the necessary certificate abbreviations on my CV. In this climate especially, even if the Cisco exams are more of a test of memory than every day working skills still, as you rightly point out, show a bit of willingness to learn.

Now you mention it I’ve known a number of people who work in IT who have been affected by serious stress related illness..

Half out, half in - been ill so have not worked for a few years and doubt that I will go back to IT as IT was a major component of why I became ill. Am thinking about setting up my own business which will be IT related in some way but will only do so if I can minimise the stress.

I no longer wish to to do the travel, staying in hotels, etc, but where I live, Swansea, the only IT jobs are the Public Sector and the PS in Wales basically puts IT down on the junior Admin pay scale - basically the jobs are paid peanuts and there are a 1001 PS jobs in Wales that are far less stress and pay 3 or 4 times as much.

I might go back to consultancy - still get calls for help and info - but my heart is no longer in it. Fed up dealing with numpties who are too stupid or too lazy to RTFM. One minute I am being asked to design a global IT infrastructure and then I have some numpty asking me how to use Word or Outlook. Seems to me that the only sensible jobs in corporate IT now are non-IT managers who get paid big bucks but who do not know how to switch on a PC.

On a realistic note - I know of several people who have become very ill and basically put it down to their IT jobs. I know a chap who developed brain tumours from all the stress, I know a chap who was rushing about so much for a global consultancy that he walked out in front of a car oneday and almost died. I could go on - so many who have become ill, so many who are stressed or on the way to becoming ill and stressed. It is not a healthy profession to be in.

I know of one guy who quit and spent 5 years retraining as an osteopath, another retrained as a pilot. I am thinking of going back into the Media but it most likely will be the Media in the US once this recession starts to subside. I had the CCNA and the MCSEs and my mind was racing 24/7 with all the latest sh*t whilst dealing with the politics, dealing with the numpties and looking after my elderly Mum. I just fell over, almost died and 5 years latrer am still not 100%.

TMT - A Warning from IT!

You know its good to learn more stuff about people on here. The people who post the most annoying shit, tend to be the most pathetic people you'd never want to meet. Figures. I especially loved the bit about checking DNS in your browsers - all of them - haha you hadnt heard of nslookup while getting certified. The fact you tried one browser, didnt work, checked another, etc shows me your level of IT understanding is actually pretty low.

Run away little boy.

Made my fortune from IT, been in jobs so high that you would need oxygen to get to the bottom rung.

Run along now and stop embarrassing yourself.