• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Get to the back of the queue of about 100,000 Romanians, half a million Poles and several million Indians and Chinese.

Mug's game mate - sorry.

Been meaning to ask if you still work in (sh)I.T, or if you've seen the light elsewhere? I'm dying to get out but don't know what else I could do.

HOLA446
HOLA447
Get to the back of the queue of about 100,000 Romanians, half a million Poles and several million Indians and Chinese.

Mug's game mate - sorry.

Yup MCSE is definitely the way to go.

:lol::lol::lol:

Has it occurred to anyone else that in a world

without walls, all the windows would fall down

HOLA448

Mug's game mate - sorry.

I don't know the total number of CCNA people but say about a Million. I fell for the same line about MCSE bout 4 years ago.

Never trust anyone who says they are worthless, they either work in IT or have never worked in HR.

HOLA449
Yup MCSE is definitely the way to go.

Has it occurred to anyone else that in a world

without walls, all the windows would fall down

A dying cert. Someone needs to tell all the HR folk though.

HOLA4410
I don't know the total number of CCNA people but say about a Million. I fell for the same line about MCSE bout 4 years ago.

Never trust anyone who says they are worthless, they either work in IT or have never worked in HR.

In that one line you have just summed up what is wrong with certifications.

HOLA4411
Been meaning to ask if you still work in (sh)I.T, or if you've seen the light elsewhere? I'm dying to get out but don't know what else I could do.

Half out, half in - been ill so have not worked for a few years and doubt that I will go back to IT as IT was a major component of why I became ill. Am thinking about setting up my own business which will be IT related in some way but will only do so if I can minimise the stress.

I no longer wish to to do the travel, staying in hotels, etc, but where I live, Swansea, the only IT jobs are the Public Sector and the PS in Wales basically puts IT down on the junior Admin pay scale - basically the jobs are paid peanuts and there are a 1001 PS jobs in Wales that are far less stress and pay 3 or 4 times as much.

I might go back to consultancy - still get calls for help and info - but my heart is no longer in it. Fed up dealing with numpties who are too stupid or too lazy to RTFM. One minute I am being asked to design a global IT infrastructure and then I have some numpty asking me how to use Word or Outlook. Seems to me that the only sensible jobs in corporate IT now are non-IT managers who get paid big bucks but who do not know how to switch on a PC.

On a realistic note - I know of several people who have become very ill and basically put it down to their IT jobs. I know a chap who developed brain tumours from all the stress, I know a chap who was rushing about so much for a global consultancy that he walked out in front of a car oneday and almost died. I could go on - so many who have become ill, so many who are stressed or on the way to becoming ill and stressed. It is not a healthy profession to be in.

I know of one guy who quit and spent 5 years retraining as an osteopath, another retrained as a pilot. I am thinking of going back into the Media but it most likely will be the Media in the US once this recession starts to subside. I had the CCNA and the MCSEs and my mind was racing 24/7 with all the latest sh*t whilst dealing with the politics, dealing with the numpties and looking after my elderly Mum. I just fell over, almost died and 5 years latrer am still not 100%.

TMT - A Warning from IT!

HOLA4412
In that one line you have just summed up what is wrong with certifications.

And the reason to get them, honestly the number of people back in 2004 who said "it's like a getting your driving licence off a cornflakes packet". Worst advice ever, until you pass a cert, anything even checkpoint firewall.

Again, Never ever trust anyone who says certs are worthless.They either want your money or can't get it.

Edit:

I worked with a guy who crafted incredible perl scripts for changing routers on mass updates,

he had no certs and found it hard to get any work. If I was running any company at the time

he would have been in the NOC as head whatever.. His understanding of RIPE and DNS led to

changing passwords from CRYPT-PW, it was the name of our location

Edited by Tom Peters

HOLA4413
And the reason to get them, honestly the number of people back in 2004 who said "it's like a getting your driving licence off a cornflakes packet". Worst advice ever, until you pass a cert, anything even checkpoint firewall.

Again, Never ever trust anyone who says certs are worthless.They either want your money or can't get it.

Was both a CCNA and a MCSE - certs are worthless. You will learn this eventually.

HOLA4414
Half out, half in - been ill so have not worked for a few years and doubt that I will go back to IT as IT was a major component of why I became ill. Am thinking about setting up my own business which will be IT related in some way but will only do so if I can minimise the stress.

How about destroying old computers with a sledgehammer?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
I know a chap who developed brain tumours from all the stress

TMT, you usually talk sense (and have a great avatar) but that is one rather weird comment.

I am unaware of any research that supports the idea that stress is a risk factor for brain tumours.

This link gives what seems to me a good summary:

CancerHelp.org.uk brain tumour information

Dr Selling Up

HOLA4417
I assume you have no understanding of employment then.

Give it time young 'un. All you have done by obtaining your CCNA is to hop aboard a treadmill which will now spin faster and faster until you either fall off, are thrown off or die.

It is a no win situation for you. It is a win win situation for the tech companies as their FUD will mean that when you do one of the above there will be thousands more waiting to take your place.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Give it time young 'un. All you have done by obtaining your CCNA is to hop aboard a treadmill which will now spin faster and faster until you either fall off, are thrown off or die.

It is a no win situation for you. It is a win win situation for the tech companies as their FUD will mean that when you do one of the above there will be thousands more waiting to take your place.

Really, in the UK you have stats on the number of CCNA qualified?

HOLA4420
TMT, you usually talk sense (and have a great avatar) but that is one rather weird comment.

I am unaware of any research that supports the idea that stress is a risk factor for brain tumours.

This link gives what seems to me a good summary:

CancerHelp.org.uk brain tumour information

Dr Selling Up

His consultant told him so.

Stress is now considered by many cancer experts as being a cause of cancer.

As you probably know, nothing is 100% written in stone with this regard as there are many factors that medics think contribute to illness but stress is something that more and more researchers are looking at.

Eliminate as much stress as you can from life - driving, job, 'friends', nutty partners, etc - get rid of them all.

People underestimate stress and how it can kill you.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Bah!

Had luncheon in Hove - couldn't believe it - Swiss friends said sit tight - a lady type person from Winchelsea said - and I quote - "it's all gorn titzup but I've pulled a fast one on the new purchasers."

Nobody pretended it was anything but dire.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425