House Price Crash Forum
gruffydd

Famous, Rich And Homeless...

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

10 days of playing poor while being tailed by bodyguards and a cameraman, on a background of altered police behaviour?

Very authentic.

Let me know when someone tries this life covertly, making their own video diary.

Guest Parry
10 days of playing poor while being tailed by bodyguards and a cameraman, on a background of altered police behaviour?

Very authentic.

Let me know when someone tries this life covertly, making their own video diary.

Go on, have a go for three nights. Then post it on You Tube. Go on. Dare ya'.

One of the nicest adhoc conversations I have ever struck up with anyone was with a homeless women. She was in her mid 50's trying to cadge a fag of me. I gave her the end of the one I was smoking as it was my last one. She was very grateful and we started talking. She said it was unusual for someone to give her time of day but I was bought up to treat everyone with respect as long as they were being respectful to me.

She was clearly intelligent despite being slightly drunk and very articulate. I asked her how she had ended up on the streets and of course she said it was to do with the drink. I asked if she had family she said yes but she would never want them to see her like she was or embarrass them so she kept away. She had a boyfriend another homeless man and she said that made things easier for her and that he was a good man even though he gave her a slap every now and again.

She told me about her earlier life, good family, good education, good job, but how her addiction led her to where she was. The most amazing thing is she didn't seem bitter and had a lot of compassion for others she felt were less better of than herself.

My heart broke for her she didn't ask me for any thing else ie money and actually thanked me for having a conversation with her. She said it was hard living on the streets but not being treated as a human being by others was the hardest thing. I felt very humbled by the experience and very lucky in my own life.

Guest theboltonfury
Go on, have a go for three nights. Then post it on You Tube. Go on. Dare ya'.

No thanks. But he is right though.

Up in Auld Reekie, I remember being told by a Salvation Army guy that drunk late-night revellers would often go and beat up homeless people to round off a night on the town. I was speechless.

I want to live like common people

I want to do whatever common people do,

I want to sleep with common people

I want to sleep with common people like you.

Well what else could I do?

How much do you think each celeb will get paid by our taxes via licence fee to make us feel guilty?

I assume that these celebs will donate 100% of their appearance fee to a homeless charity of their choice?

Guest Parry
How much do you think each celeb will get paid by our taxes via licence fee to make us feel guilty?

I assume that these celebs will donate 100% of their appearance fee to a homeless charity of their choice?

Guilty about what?

Is it such a bad thing to get us to think about and confront issues we might otherwise prefer to avoid? On the second point - I hope they have / will.

Edited by gruffydd

Why not pay proper homeless people to get followed around by Cameramen for 10 Days and chart how it REALLY is to be homeless instead of using a load of washed-up Actors and Sportspeople who are obviously hoping to get some more TV work from this pointless, self-indulgent piece of PR $h1te?

Interestingly, you very rarely hear of a homeless case where the demon drug of choice is Marijuana...more often than not it's alcohol or hard drugs...but we can't decriminalise Marijuana 'cos it's dangerous...off topic I know, but thought there was a relevance.

mspL4

Guest Parry
Why not pay proper homeless people to get followed around by Cameramen for 10 Days and chart how it REALLY is to be homeless instead of using a load of washed-up Actors and Sportspeople who are obviously hoping to get some more TV work from this pointless, self-indulgent piece of PR $h1te?

Interestingly, you very rarely hear of a homeless case where the demon drug of choice is Marijuana...more often than not it's alcohol or hard drugs...but we can't decriminalise Marijuana 'cos it's dangerous...off topic I know, but thought there was a relevance.

mspL4

Because they'd use it for a deposit on a Barratt box. What we study we change.

Did anybody see the preview on TV last night? This looks like it'll be excellent viewing!

it is bullsh*t telly they know that in a week or two that they can return to their nice comfortable lives so how can they compare or really know how real homeless people feel the only time any of us would really know is if it happened for real.just a few rich celeb's that want to get back into the limelight

No thanks. But he is right though.

just had an idea when parliment shuts for its 6 weeks summer hols all the m.ps should be thrown out on the street with a tenner in their pocket then they can really see what its like to struggle , this might help them create some humility and do the right when it comes to their wages /expenses etc hey we could also throw some bankers in , and company ceo's just to make it interesting what do you think ?

Guest Parry
just had an idea when parliment shuts for its 6 weeks summer hols all the m.ps should be thrown out on the street with a tenner in their pocket then they can really see what its like to struggle , this might help them create some humility and do the right when it comes to their wages /expenses etc hey we could also throw some bankers in , and company ceo's just to make it interesting what do you think ?

Yikes that's a cracker of an idea.

Without police protection! :)

it is bullsh*t telly they know that in a week or two that they can return to their nice comfortable lives so how can they compare or really know how real homeless people feel the only time any of us would really know is if it happened for real.just a few rich celeb's that want to get back into the limelight

Some people have suggested the series should've featured the real homeless and not celebs. Sure, but would it've made it onto BBC 1 if they had?

I see John Bird from The Big Issue and Craig Last from Centrepoint have been heavily involved in the making of the programme. I guess they see it as an opportunity to get people to think more about the plight of the homeless - perhaps even make it more of a political issue.

I work in PR and often need to get a celebrity angle just to get the story picked up by the media. Sad. But true.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...ideoid=43921718

Edited by gruffydd

Guest Parry
Some people have suggested the series should've featured the real homeless and not celebs. Sure, but would it've made it onto BBC if they had.

I see John Bird from The Big Issue and Craig Last from Centrepoint have been heavily involved in the making of the programme. I guess they see the opportunity to get people to think more about the plight of the homeless - perhaps even make it more of a political issue.

I work in PR and often need to get a celebrity angle just to get the story picked up by the media. Sad. But true.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...ideoid=43921718

I always thought you were a farmer.

I always thought you were a farmer.

Nope, but bro and parents still farm. I opted out (regretting it now!). Just spent the weekend on the silage :-). G

Edited by gruffydd

Guest Parry
Nope, but bro and parents still farm. I opted out (regretting it now!). Just spent the weekend on the silage :-). G

You are a farmer!

Don't deny it, Gruff!

You are a farmer!

Don't deny it, Gruff!

I suppose you can't get ever it out of your veins when you're born and raised by hill farmers. Very much a way of life. And a close community. I still farm, at weekends and during holidays. Most of my life is spent in luvvydom though.

Seeing that the Icelanders are going back to fishing, perhaps I'll go back to it full-time...

Even heard a commentator on R4 the other day saying the Brits would have to go back to the land...

Edited by gruffydd

Guest Parry
I suppose you can't get ever it out of your veins when you're born and raised by hill farmers. Very much a way of life. And a close community. I still farm, at weekends and during holidays. Most of my life is spent in luvvydom though.

Seeing that the Icelandics are going back to fishing, perhaps I'll go back to it full-time...

Good choice.

As much as I try I can't spend my life writing endless bu!!sh1t reports and data analysis about nothing.

Up in Auld Reekie, I remember being told by a Salvation Army guy that drunk late-night revellers would often go and beat up homeless people to round off a night on the town. I was speechless.

There have been two cases of this in sunny Bournemouth in the last two months. One ended in the death of a homeless man, and murder charges have been laid against those in custody. Police are still hunting the culprits in the other case.

Attacks on the homeless by group of young late-night drunks are far from uncommon.

Sure, PR can be extremely disheartening.

I've spend years and years writing about toothpaste, hotels, wind turbines, cars, solicitors...ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Thing is, the good money traps you once you've established a good reputation. But once you get to the stage when you feel like puking when it's time to write another news release...

Edited by gruffydd