House Price Crash Forum
Darkman

Relocating For A Better Life?

Any advice is welcome....

Having given it all some thought, I'm considering leaving greater London and moving outwards (probably south) to improve my chances of a decent living standard. My company has branches all over, and I can apply for a transfer. This involves losing a London weighting in my salary of course, but am I right in thinking the overall gains will still be worth it?

I'm now based in Slough, so I don't need to explain all my reasons for getting out (!). I won't miss the congestion & silly prices etc. But I'm wary of thinking the grass is always greener. I currently have Southampton in my sights because I hear the climate is the best in the country, it's by the sea, near the New Forest, and the prices appear a lot lower. Buying in Berkshire/Bucks/Hillingdon we can afford to buy a flat outright (no mortgage). In Southampton or Portsmouth it appears we could buy a house for a same money. Am I missing something here?

I'd never buy right now of course. The plan would be move down there to get a taste, rent awhile, then buy in a year or two once prices have levelled out. I've yearned for a house, garden and dog for too long. But it seems even simple ambitions like these are aiming too high in this country. Time is passing by, I'm not getting any younger etc etc etc (cue violins)

So let's have it. Now tell me Southampton is a slum worse than Slough haha. Seriously, I need input to straighten this out in my own mind. Transferring involves some real upheaval work-wise, and I need to know I'm doing the right thing.

:ph34r:

Guest Parry

Having given it all some thought, I'm considering leaving greater London and moving outwards (probably south) to improve my chances of a decent living standard. My company has branches all over, and I can apply for a transfer. This involves losing a London weighting in my salary of course, but am I right in thinking the overall gains will still be worth it?

I'm now based in Slough, so I don't need to explain all my reasons for getting out (!). I won't miss the congestion & silly prices etc. But I'm wary of thinking the grass is always greener. I currently have Southampton in my sights because I hear the climate is the best in the country, it's by the sea, near the New Forest, and the prices appear a lot lower. Buying in Berkshire/Bucks/Hillingdon we can afford to buy a flat outright (no mortgage). In Southampton or Portsmouth it appears we could buy a house for a same money. Am I missing something here?

I'd never buy right now of course. The plan would be move down there to get a taste, rent awhile, then buy in a year or two once prices have levelled out. I've yearned for a house, garden and dog for too long. But it seems even simple ambitions like these are aiming too high in this country. Time is passing by, I'm not getting any younger etc etc etc (cue violins)

So let's have it. Now tell me Southampton is a slum worse than Slough haha. Seriously, I need input to straighten this out in my own mind. Transferring involves some real upheaval work-wise, and I need to know I'm doing the right thing.

I lived in Woolston for a while last year. Serious, serious dump. Got shot at whilst on site, blew the back window of the Land Rover out.

Great Italian restaurant me and DYIV went to called Ennio's. Fantastic fresh bread.

I guess it's okay. Go down there one weekend.

Look along the coast 25 miles toward Poole/Bournemouth. Wonderful countryside and reasonable house prices. Poole has decent 3 bed family houses £200K and under and heading slowly down.

Guest Parry
Look along the coast 25 miles toward Poole/Bournemouth. Wonderful countryside and reasonable house prices. Poole has decent 3 bed family houses £200K and under and heading slowly down.

I was going to say that. The areas just outside Soton are lovely.

slough & soton are quite similar. soton is quite dumpy too, albeit with fewer minorities. both are surrounded by very nice areas though. areas around slough are probably better, and the added convenience of going to heathrow & london.

soton might be on the coast, but unless you sail its of no use. Better off going to Bournemouth etc. They have proper beaches and a better town feel. soton is still very chavvy.

Like anywhere there are good parts and bad parts. When I lived down there I found going to the West of Soton was nicer than the east. Just don't go too far or you'll find yourself in god's waiting room.

Having given it all some thought, I'm considering leaving greater London and moving outwards (probably south) to improve my chances of a decent living standard. My company has branches all over, and I can apply for a transfer.

Its great in Zurich, moved here a couple of years ago, great quality of life, may be a bit further south than you were looking for though :lol:

Guest skullingtonjoe

Red Alert! Red Alert!

Whatever you do, do not relocate to Portsmouth: it`s like all the worst bits of Southampton distilled into some foul brew and then tripled-filtered with toxic chavdom to become a vile wart on the south coast of the UK.

Welcome to `New Malta`?: New Malta

Unless you are a chav, there is nothing good to say about Portsmouth. If you are a chav, welcome to heaven! :rolleyes:

My mother lived for several years in So'ton, very near the vast common, which is a great area if you're thinking about a dog! She was just off Northlands Rd, right opp. where the old county cricket ground was (now houses alas.) I liked that particular area, not too far to town, local shops nearby at Bedford Place and a short walk from the common. Also only a few minutes from the M3. I don't know the rest of S'ton very well, but wouldn't have minded a move to that area.

Good luck.

There are some reasonably nice areas but the majority of Southampton is chav central.

As qwe3333, said unless you sail, you're better off looking slightly further out.

If I could afford it, I would choose Winchester over Southampton, if you don't want to go further West.

But then, I would be off to Weymouth if I could be bothered to commute.

Red Alert! Red Alert!

Whatever you do, do not relocate to Portsmouth: it`s like all the worst bits of Southampton distilled into some foul brew and then tripled-filtered with toxic chavdom to become a vile wart on the south coast of the UK.

Old Portsmouth is nice and Southsea, very expensive but with the Hovercraft and Isle of wight visible, plus

cobbled streets with old pubs.

Tiny area, the rest is shit.

Red Alert! Red Alert!

Welcome to `New Malta`?: New Malta

Unless you are a chav, there is nothing good to say about Portsmouth. If you are a chav, welcome to heaven! :rolleyes:

+1

Portsmouth is a run down cr@p hole full of chavvy women with prams and tattooed apes who love to scrap.

I've lived in both cities and far prefer Pompey over Soton.

Southampton is classic post war sprawl. Congested, heartless and dull.

Portsmouth, OTOH, is on an island. Sprawl is impossible - with the exception of the inspired 60s decision to place the council estates on the mainland and "out of town".

The city is easy to get around and, if you want to go stress and car-free, it's compact and flat as a pancake for cycling. The local environment is good (sea & countyryside) and the transport links further afield are excellent (be it for London for work, IoW for beaches or France for booze). If Waterloo was still the Eurostar terminal, it would be pretty perfect.

I keep reading how Portsmouth is the armpit of the UK. All I can say is that if that is true then we really live in a pretty damn good country. Sure, it has poor people, criminals and, shock horror, forr'ners.

Guest skullingtonjoe
Old Portsmouth is nice and Southsea, very expensive but with the Hovercraft and Isle of wight visible, plus

cobbled streets with old pubs.

Tiny area, the rest is shit.

Agreed.

I did not include Southsea (where I live). It would be nice if you could get the southern end of Portsmouth (from Eastney up to Old Portsmouth, not including the Dockyard area), and transplant it in an uninhabitated area of the south coast (as far away from the northern part of Portsmouth as possible). The chavs can have the rest :lol::rolleyes:

i went to southampton and its a shiithole.

didnt go to portsmouth so cant say but i think its a few steps up the ladder.

brighton is actually quite nice but has too many 'travellers' and new age people for my liking, and the tourist aspect is a big crap. it just something about the mentality of people that holiday at british beaches, generally the lowest common denominators. even so, if you can tolerate the tourists and new age idiots then it has nice pubs and alot of people to up the odds of a reasonable social life.

southampton does not. southampton is full of our coloured pals and very much working class dock worker type society. i was left with the opinion that it stank of dispair and depression. you could smell it.

Guest Parry

brighton is actually quite nice but has too many 'travellers' and new age people for my liking, and the tourist aspect is a big crap. it just something about the mentality of people that holiday at british beaches, generally the lowest common denominators. even so, if you can tolerate the tourists and new age idiots then it has nice pubs and alot of people to up the odds of a reasonable social life.

southampton does not. southampton is full of our coloured pals and very much working class dock worker type society. i was left with the opinion that it stank of dispair and depression. you could smell it.

Agreed. Dire place. True misery.

Brighton? Beers, Queers and Souvenirs!

Guest Parry

Agreed. Dire place. True misery.

Brighton? Beers, Queers and Souvenirs!

I expected some strong views. I didn't expect to hear about vehicles getting their windows shot through...

By the sound of it Southampton is chav central. And no I'm not a chav myself, so I doubt I'd fit in there. Shell suits and aggressive dogs aren't my thing. Maybe I'd be better off checking out Portsmouth. Failing that, perhaps places like Bristol or Norfolk. My only fear about going North is the weather to be honest.

I have other decisions to make also, such is it better to buy a smaller place outright with no mortgage, or aspire a little higher and get something bigger with the debt chain round my neck. The hope would be houses going up in value. The fear would be interest rates going through the roof, literally.

But then I'd be a housing investor, not simply a house buyer. And we all know what happens to people who invest in housing..... :lol:

Guest Parry
I expected some strong views. I didn't expect to hear about vehicles getting their windows shot through...

By the sound of it Southampton is chav central. And no I'm not a chav myself, so I doubt I'd fit in there. Shell suits and aggressive dogs aren't my thing. Maybe I'd be better off checking out Portsmouth. Failing that, perhaps places like Bristol or Norfolk. My only fear about going North is the weather to be honest.

I have other decisions to make also, such is it better to buy a smaller place outright with no mortgage, or aspire a little higher and get something bigger with the debt chain round my neck. The hope would be houses going up in value. The fear would be interest rates going through the roof, literally.

But then I'd be a housing investor, not simply a house buyer. And we all know what happens to people who invest in housing..... :lol:

No I'd forget Pompey and Soton. Plymouth?

I think you might try Exeter. It's central to general loveliness and it's a great wee place. Bristol's okay too. Lot's to do, nice lifestyle down there.

I think I've got your measure now.

What you're after is Fareham. So boring and quiet they don't even have grafitti there.

It's a (former) market town a mere 19 minute by train from the fleshpots of both Pompey and Soton.

Since you are currently in Slough, anywhere is going to be a step up. Do you want to be in the city centre? Suburbs, waterside apartment, small village, large town, rural idyll. I guess your company has an office in Southampton. Do they have offices in Brighton, Chichester, Portsmouth, Winchester, Poole, Bournemouth, Dorchester or Weymouth????