House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mega

Tonights Paranoia Youtube Is-

What a load of childish bollox. Emergency services having a drill? Well, duh, that's what they do. Even if not a complete crock of shit, I find it difficult to take someone who disfigures their own body in such a hideous manner seriously.

I thought I was going to hate that as that horrible music began, but if you just listen without admiring his tattoos, he's quite a reasonable soul. (Not that I agree with it all.)

But the ammo shortage thing is interesting. How do you sneakily deprive an armed nation of their guns whilst appearing not to break the constitutional right to bear arms? Deprive them of ammo.

I'm not sure they're restricting the ammo supply Durch. I think the US public are buying it up at a record rate and it can't be manufactured fast enough to keep up! Ominous. :ph34r:

Gun and ammunition sales are hot

By David Benda (Contact)

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Start with a president who concerns gun-rights advocates and throw in a pending state bill that would require records be kept for handgun ammunition sales, and it's easy to understand why gun shops are doing a brisk business.

"Yes, we are benefiting because of an individual I didn't vote for, nor did anybody I know vote for. It is kind of ironic, isn't it?" Rich Howell, general manager of Olde West Gun & Loan, said of President Barack Obama's impact on his business.

Guns and ammunition sales at Howell's shop in Redding jumped about 50 percent in the first three months of 2009 compared with 2008.

Shopping for handgun ammunition Wednesday at Olde West Gun & Loan, Rene Raak of Douglas City lamented about the difficulty she's had finding ammunition. Raak had not heard of AB 962.

"Everybody seems to want to grab whatever comes into the gun shop here," Raak said. "It's been hard to find even regular bullets like .357 (caliber) - we have been shooting .38s instead. Gosh, it's harder to find even find .22s. Seems like everybody is buying them off the shelves, like they're afraid they are not going to be there tomorrow."

De Leon cites a 2006 RAND study that shows more than 10,000 rounds of ammunition were sold to criminals in a two-month period. Extrapolated statewide, that would mean that more than 500,000 rounds are sold to criminals in gun shops in California every year.

Gun store owners like Patrick Jones of Jones' Fort in Redding don't buy it. The bill is simply another infringement on their rights to legally own and use a firearm, Jones said.

"This won't affect the criminal because they're not buying guns from us and they don't buy ammunition from us," said Jones, who recently went to Sacramento to lobby against AB 962.

What's happening in California is playing out across the country as concerns grow that the Obama administration will enact new gun-control measures.

"The combined increase in demand for firearms and ammunition is clear and largely being driven by the political concerns of gun owners," Ted Novin, spokesman for the National Shooting Sports Foundation, said by e-mail from Newtown, Conn.

Ironically, the U.S. House of Representatives in May passed a measure that expanded gun rights, allowing concealed, loaded firearms to be carried in national parks.

The proposal passed 279-147, with overwhelming Republican support and a significant number of Democrats backing the measure.

Novin's group reported that FBI criminal background checks were up 15.4 percent in May 2009 over May 2008. Federal law requires individuals who purchase firearms from a licensed dealer to get a background check. The checks serve as a gauge of actual sales, Novin said.

Last month's increase in background checks follows a 30.3 percent increase in April, a 29.2 percent gain in March, and jumps of 23 percent in February and 28 percent in January, the National Shooting Sports Foundation said.

Novin said the demand for ammunition extends across caliber lines, and manufacturers are working at full capacity. Anecdotal evidence suggests those efforts are working and supply is beginning to catch up with demand, Novin added.

http://www.redding.com/news/2009/jun/18/gu...-sales-are-hot/

Didn't make it thru much of the rant but .. I've been checking some bird flu forums lately and ammo was selling out in many US stores a few months ago due to swine flu scare.

Our local survivalistas here have nothing on the crazies I've been lurking amongst! There are folk seriously ready to board up their house (except for a few sniper holes of course) and live for 18 months on the home canned food they've prepared! Yes, .. they are being serious .. I've asked them.