House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest theboltonfury

Why Do Men Wear Toupees?

Guest theboltonfury

I'm 33, with a slight, and I stress slight, temple recession. I'd rather I had hair like Brad Pitt but I don't so it's not that important. However, I am constantly amazed by just how many men cover their baldness with wigs that are so bad it's like they've been made on Blue Peter.

The first thing I have to say they are always obvious (some are truly awful and they must know it) and secondly, they must be a bloody discomfort, not to mention the hassle of sticking them on every day. I walked past a guy in Saino's yesterday that honestly looked like one of Tiger's divots had come to rest on his head. I felt sorry for him if I'm honest, that a man can be so self-concious they'd rather wear that! What do the wives think? I know they love through thick and thin but surely there is a limit to this in the name of vanity.

I'm not talking about laser therapy or transplants, I'm talking about hairpieces. Or wearing a wig after chemo. I'm talking about the cosmetic enhancement type.

Maybe someone can help me understand. What drives men to do this? My wife's absolute favourite guy is Jason Statham and he's a proper slaphead!

I'm 33, with a slight, and I stress slight, temple recession. I'd rather I had hair like Brad Pitt but I don't so it's not that important. However, I am constantly amazed by just how many men cover their baldness with wigs that are so bad it's like they've been made on Blue Peter.

The first thing I have to say they are always obvious (some are truly awful and they must know it) and secondly, they must be a bloody discomfort, not to mention the hassle of sticking them on every day. I walked past a guy in Saino's yesterday that honestly looked like one of Tiger's divots had come to rest on his head. I felt sorry for him if I'm honest, that a man can be so self-concious they'd rather wear that! What do the wives think? I know they love through thick and thin but surely there is a limit to this in the name of vanity.

I'm not talking about laser therapy or transplants, I'm talking about hairpieces. Or wearing a wig after chemo. I'm talking about the cosmetic enhancement type.

Maybe someone can help me understand. What drives men to do this? My wife's absolute favourite guy is Jason Statham and he's a proper slaphead!

Another alternative is DHT suppressants like proscar or propecia (same thing - different dose). They basically inhibit the conversion of free testosterone to DHT (which is what causes baldness). My dad who is a pharmacist said if you want to prevent baldness you have to act early - once the damage is done no amount of drug / topical treatment will reverse the process.

There is one thing that is worse... a comb-over.

They are a sign that the man is desperately fooling himself, and thinks he can fool others. They also look awful.

'Openly' bald men, on the other hand, seem to be more at ease with themselves.

p.s. I'm not bald. Yet.

Can't help you I'm afraid.

As a woman I'm completely mystified by it. Hair or lack of it has no bearing whatsoever on whether I find a man attractive. However, I find a bad 'syrup' very unattractive.

Guest theboltonfury
Another alternative is DHT suppressants like proscar or propecia (same thing - different dose). They basically inhibit the conversion of free testosterone to DHT (which is what causes baldness). My dad who is a pharmacist said if you want to prevent baldness you have to act early - once the damage is done no amount of drug / topical treatment will reverse the process.

I've heard that too. I've also heard it has a 50% chance of working and is basically a £60 Direct Debit for the rest of yuor life. Let me stress, I didn't start this thread for my own follicular benefit. I'm quite comfortable in my own skin.

As a woman I'm completely mystified by it. Hair or lack of it has no bearing whatsoever on whether I find a man attractive.

True. You don't need hair to be attractive. Here's a recent pic of me, ladies:

combover.jpg

Guest theboltonfury

combover.jpg

He better make sure he judges the wind correctly!

combover.jpg

[shudders]

comb-over = bad 'syrup' as far as I'm concerned.

it's a matter of personal conscience!!!!

men wearing wigs is not much different from the ladies slapping on an extra coat of warpaint!!

I'm going bald myself!!!......it's not very nice having the piss taken out of you,but going a bit thin on top is part of the natural ageing process...so why fight it?

the people that are trying to supress the cycle of life are the ones with the problem.

I can quite happily conceal being folically inhibited with a couple of shearings a year,and it don't look that bad!.....at least I'm not spending extortionate amounts of money on colouring!

WTF, I thought wigs for men died out decades ago !

Obviously not, and how bloody expensive?

http://www.wigsmen.com/price_list.htm

Guest theboltonfury
WTF, I thought wigs for men died out decades ago !

Obviously not, and how bloody expensive?

http://www.wigsmen.com/price_list.htm

Thanks for perfectly illustrating my point. At all those pictures you'd just scream WIG! And you are relieved of a few hundred quid for the privilidge.

Guest skullingtonjoe

No point in trying to reverse the tide. Save your money and dignity- instead of going for `plug in` hair replacement or snake oil shave it off!

Yul Bryner, Telly Savalas (Kojak), Jason Statham, Patrick Stewart (Jean-Luc Picard), Ross Kemp, Bruce Willis, Vin Diesel - all confident, relaxed figures of male `slapheadedness`. Lost my hair over 10 years ago: best thing that ever happened to me ;)

Thanks for perfectly illustrating my point. At all those pictures you'd just scream WIG! And you are relieved of a few hundred quid for the privilidge.

It is weird, their vanity surely backfires on them.

A hole in the wallet, other men don't give a crap, women don't really give a crap - I'd actually guess that women would find it a turn off, how would it end for example if mid cunnilingus she tugged at your noggin and to be greeted with a scalp in her hand?

Or pre romantic shower "hold on love, don't want to get me piece wet, gets all musty".

Guest theboltonfury
It is weird, their vanity surely backfires on them.

A hole in the wallet, other men don't give a crap, women don't really give a crap - I'd actually guess that women would find it a turn off, how would it end for example if mid cunnilingus she tugged at your noggin and to be greeted with a scalp in her hand?

Or pre romantic shower "hold on love, don't want to get me piece wet, gets all musty".

Very funny indeed. Some men, it appears, will risk the circumstances you highlight above. I remember seeign a program a couple of years ago on C4 about male toupee wearers. They all were dead proud of their pieces and said to camera. 'no one can tell it's a wig' and I just remember thinking 'Oh FFS, even David Blunkett would spot that at 50 yards'

I've heard that too. I've also heard it has a 50% chance of working and is basically a £60 Direct Debit for the rest of yuor life. Let me stress, I didn't start this thread for my own follicular benefit. I'm quite comfortable in my own skin.

You can get proscar OTC in chemists in Europe for peanuts. It is only in rip off Britain that people pay silly money

My brother met a nightclub owner in Caerphilly who made his own wigs...

My brother said no one could look that man in the eye....

My brother met a nightclub owner in Caerphilly who made his own wigs...

My brother said no one could look that man in the eye....

:ph34r::blink:

were the wigs made of anus hair?

I love it when guys wear wigs ( well mannish wigs anyway) it really is the funniest thing. Laughter is teh best medecine and this can be uncrollable. Good on you you toupee toppers you lighten my life.

Reg Smeaton patted down teh back of his wig :lol::lol::lol:

No point in trying to reverse the tide. Save your money and dignity- instead of going for `plug in` hair replacement or snake oil shave it off!

Yul Bryner, Telly Savalas (Kojak), Jason Statham, Patrick Stewart (Jean-Luc Picard), Ross Kemp, Bruce Willis, Vin Diesel - all confident, relaxed figures of male `slapheadedness`. Lost my hair over 10 years ago: best thing that ever happened to me ;)

+1 good shave round on top every few weeks

Wigs are just as bad as BTLers pretending their portfolios are doing well.

I think it been a problem since we discovered we could cover our privates with fig leaves.

I am pleased you used the plural :lol::lol:

Cheaper alternative is to consume Zinc on a daily basis, not too much because its toxic, but Zinc will boost T levels and prevent T being converted into DHT.

Obviously upping your T levels will also help you maintain a slim physique so its beneficial in many ways.

Zince - a Reductase inhibitor - not heard that one before

As someone noticeably follically challenged, wigs just don't appeal.

There was a guy on a college course I did years ago who have a really obvious syrup. Normally I don't notice wigs but by god this one was bad.

Comb overs are rubbish as well. I remember one guy on the bus who would have looked really distinguished, as some bald guys do, except for a few scant, overlong stands crossing the top of his bonce that ruined it completely.

Personally I'm glad that short cropped hair is considered fashionable still, I dread a return to a late 60s/early 70s era of long hear for men.

Check out this complex 2-way comb over on the bonce of Donald Trump!

article-1025610-018ECE8B00000578-313_233x353.jpgarticle-1025610-018ECEF100000578-757_233x517.jpg