House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Ian Chesterton

The Elgin Marbles

We've been waiting almost 200 years for the Greeks to deliver the rest of the Parthenon. A bit tardy of them, in my opinion.

It would be a nice gesture if we got the remaining bits in time for the Olympics.

Guest anorthosite
Is there any reason for us to keep them?

Well, it would set a precedent for the return of the rest of the stolen goods on display at that museum ;)

Guest Skinty

They should call it the "Plundered by the British Museum".

It's a cr4p museum. Just a load of stuff put on shelves and a few things too big that are just placed here and there. A few dry bits of text and that's it. No context. Nothing about what those objects represent or what they mean to us or the original owners. It's just stuff., There for the collectors who actually work there and can spend time playing with their stuff. An example of what museums should not be like. I say give all the stuff back to the original countries who can put it all in context.

The natural history museum on the other hand is another matter. lt actually tries to educate the viewer and put things into context.

Guest anorthosite
Maybe we should return all such artefacts.

I agree, although there wouldn't be much left in that museum of stolen goods. The Egyptians are, quite rightly, wanting the Rosetta Stone back as well.

If we'd left them in place they would not exist. They were being used for target practice.

By all means return them, and we will charge them for transport costs and safe custody for 150 years.

And they will have to give us 12 points in the Eurovision.

I agree, although there wouldn't be much left in that museum of stolen goods. The Egyptians are, quite rightly, wanting the Rosetta Stone back as well.

They can want. They're not having it, they'd probably just flog it.

Guest anorthosite
If we'd left them in place they would not exist. They were being used for target practice.

By all means return them, and we will charge them for transport costs and safe custody for 150 years.

And they will have to give us 12 points in the Eurovision.

So how come all the others survived - in fact the new cleaning methods used in Athens mean that a lot of the stuff tha twas left behind is in better condition now than the ones Elgin stole.

So how come all the others survived - in fact the new cleaning methods used in Athens mean that a lot of the stuff tha twas left behind is in better condition now than the ones Elgin stole.

Not something I usually say, but: Source?

That would soften my view somewhat if true.

Guest anorthosite
Not something I usually say, but: Source?

That would soften my view somewhat if true.

Go to http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/a...ure/8110010.stm and click on the link on the right that says "Greeks clean west frieze slabs - How the Greeks cleaned their west frieze slabs"

The British Museum cleaned them with wire brushes & nitric acid in the past - its quite possible they would be in better condition today if they had just been left in place.

Is there any reason for us to keep them?

Makes no difference to me.

Might as well give it back.

Go to http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/a...ure/8110010.stm and click on the link on the right that says "Greeks clean west frieze slabs - How the Greeks cleaned their west frieze slabs"

The British Museum cleaned them with wire brushes & nitric acid in the past - its quite possible they would be in better condition today if they had just been left in place.

Well, shall we say "not proven" having read that.

Guest anorthosite
Well, shall we say "not proven" having read that.

So, should we give them back?

I saw some chap from the British Museum arguing that its now a good thing they're in two places so people can see them in London as well. I don't think he realises that the marbles aren't individual works, they're part of one big building and they don't work nearly so well if they're split up. Its a bit like cutting the Mona Lisa in half and sending one half to another museum.

All museum collections should be broken up and returned to thir countries of origin. Museums should then be closed. We then can all live in complete ignorance of other cultures and history.

Cultural exchange should be limited to documentary films like Up Pompeii.

We've been waiting almost 200 years for the Greeks to deliver the rest of the Parthenon. A bit tardy of them, in my opinion.

It would be a nice gesture if we got the remaining bits in time for the Olympics.

A truely wonderful thought. I think that the Greeks should make a present of it to Prince Philip, afterall he is Greek (and they don't want him back). It would look good rebuilt just in front of Buck Palace.

have greece got a decent army? if not bugg3r off :lol:

No the greeks do not so invasion to take back our marbles is on the cards. BTW do they have any oil cause the yanks might help us then!

Guest anorthosite
All museum collections should be broken up and returned to thir countries of origin. Museums should then be closed. We then can all live in complete ignorance of other cultures and history.

Cultural exchange should be limited to documentary films like Up Pompeii.

No-one's suggesting that, but the Elgin Marbles are a unique case - they are part of a larger work that will look better intact than apart.

And quite frankly, the circumstances they were aquired in are rather dodgy.