House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest skullingtonjoe

Class Conflict?

Guest redwine

nobody in France gives a sh*t about which shop you do your shopping in or what sort of plastic bag you have!

This is 2009 and not 1909 i thought that england had changed ?

Victorian values and middle-class against the working -class or poor against the rich traditions are still strong there nobody here gives a f*ck about what sort of car you drive the more the wreck it is the better it is

having said that you should not get upset because of a shop asst or a bank clerk or even a telephone salesman says something that you disagree with tell them all to p*ss off

I don't understand why you would want to go to a supermarket with your wife, where is the value or fun in that?

It's not exactly a two person job, nor a life experience to be shared with a loved one.

Guest skullingtonjoe
Lovely story Joe.

Now the supermarkets like us to recycle old bags or use "bags for life", I'm not sure what hurts middle class pride the most, coming out of Waitrose with your Aldi bags brimful of Kumquat and Swans Fat pate, or coming out of Aldi with Waitrose bags full of everything else.

Class is so much historic baggage.

The class system should have died out a long time ago, but -sadly - it`s still here :(

Guest skullingtonjoe
Jesus guy......how the hell can you make a post out of a "look" that some till tart gave you.

Screw her.

Screw the Air Cadets

Screw Waitrose.

She's spending her day scanning your groceries....why do you give a hoot what she thinks?

Stand up for yourself!

I would, but I`m a wimp - and I get intmidated by the `old school mistress` glare!

Guest skullingtonjoe
I don't understand why you would want to go to a supermarket with your wife, where is the value or fun in that?

It's not exactly a two person job, nor a life experience to be shared with a loved one.

And therein lies the old adage about `the road to hell being paved with good intentions`.

I do not a car, and the Waitrose is about 10 minutes` walk from us. I decided to accompany my wife to help her carry the heavy loads (she is quite small and I get a bit of a `caveman kick` out of `looking after my woman` - very sad, yes I know!!)

If the cashier had seen that I was the one carrying the bgs out, then she may have been less quick to judge my perceived `sexism / patronisation`. Having said that, I am the customer. Rant over ;)

nobody in France gives a sh*t about which shop you do your shopping in or what sort of plastic bag you have!

This is 2009 and not 1909 i thought that england had changed ?

Victorian values and middle-class against the working -class or poor against the rich traditions are still strong there nobody here gives a f*ck about what sort of car you drive the more the wreck it is the better it is

having said that you should not get upset because of a shop asst or a bank clerk or even a telephone salesman says something that you disagree with tell them all to p*ss off

Bon soire, Vin Rouge !

Some of the things I love about France!

Basically, a working man's state.

And strangely, elitist at the same time; viz, no education and qualifications, then no decent job.

If your heart's desire is to pull chicken feathers in an abbatoir, then be a dumbster.

That said, in our area, the majority don't give a stuff about the synthetic "Values" and possession passion of Brits.

Ergo the cars; dented, no hub caps or wheel trims, often mud-splattered etc.

And whilst things are changing, albeit very slowly, their homes are places for family and friends to meet, eat and enjoy social discourse and the odd verre du Vin.

Rather than constant makeovers from such as B & Q.

Long may it continue.

I'm increasingly "French" now in the way I shop: feeling each veg and fruit: seeking value: love the markets!

Don't care about labels and what the shop is: just the quality and the value.

I miss your old avatar leveller. :lol:

So do I :( , but she left one day, and I can't find her!? Better to have loved and lost . . .

And therein lies the old adage about `the road to hell being paved with good intentions`.

I do not a car, and the Waitrose is about 10 minutes` walk from us. I decided to accompany my wife to help her carry the heavy loads (she is quite small and I get a bit of a `caveman kick` out of `looking after my woman` - very sad, yes I know!!)

If the cashier had seen that I was the one carrying the bgs out, then she may have been less quick to judge my perceived `sexism / patronisation`. Having said that, I am the customer. Rant over ;)

Heavy load carrying whilst on foot is different to you both going on a car journey there. There is nothing sad about your 'caveman kick', it's instinct?

Anyway, chivalry has good karmic payback in my experience ;)

Guest skullingtonjoe
Bon soire, Vin Rouge !

Some of the things I love about France!

Basically, a working man's state.

And strangely, elitist at the same time; viz, no education and qualifications, then no decent job.

If your heart's desire is to pull chicken feathers in an abbatoir, then be a dumbster.

That said, in our area, the majority don't give a stuff about the synthetic "Values" and possession passion of Brits.

Ergo the cars; dented, no hub caps or wheel trims, often mud-splattered etc.

And whilst things are changing, albeit very slowly, their homes are places for family and friends to meet, eat and enjoy social discourse and the odd verre du Vin.

Rather than constant makeovers from such as B & Q.

Long may it continue.

I'm increasingly "French" now in the way I shop: feeling each veg and fruit: seeking value: love the markets!

Don't care about labels and what the shop is: just the quality and the value.

Shame such sentiments don`t catch on here. Guess Napoleon was right about the `nation of shopkeepers` :lol:

There's surely a world of difference between "Its OK my wife will help me" and "It's OK, let the wife do it". Marriage is surely meant to be a partnership?

Never been to Waitrose. I've heard the food is good, but at a price.

I prefer home delivery. It avoids the whole problem.

Not many people would be self conscious enough to turn a funny look into a class battle. Well, actually, perhaps they would.

Surely, and most unfortunately, British society has virtually lost its earlier class-consciousness, but in its place, adopted a synthetic value-set which is predicated on what job you do, brand of clothes you wear, watch, car you drive and perhaps more critically of all, where you live?

Perhaps Oscar Wilde summed up modern Post-Thatcher society in The Importance of Being Earnest: " There are many who know the price of everything: and the value of nothing!"

I was working on a project in Silicon Valley Calif, in the mid 1980s, based in San Jose: each evening my colleague and I would finish up our day in the bar part of the restaurant where we always ate.

Now with a welter of techies earning fortunes, the majority of average and thoroughly decent guys were impressed by earnings in terms of achievement: one guy for example had the local garbage contract and was earning upwards then of $1,500 per week. And enjoyed significant respect.

Another, a Dutchman, sold pools: and also earned well.

Now here, most would look down on dustman: why? Doing an essential job.

Our society has become totally fixated on wholly false tokens of esteem: and almost completely ignores and fails to value the most crucial aspects of human beings and society: integrity; keeping one's word: stability; family values; loyalty and enduracne to one's spouse; inculcating into one's kids decent values, respect and manners and ensuring they achieve the best overall education possible: and so on.

I personally believe that Britain and most of the USA are Morally Bankrupt societies.

Such can indeed embue feelings of inadequacy and despair in many.

Guest skullingtonjoe
Not many people would be self conscious enough to turn a funny look into a class battle. Well, actually, perhaps they would.

Don`t forget this is `me` we`re talking about! :rolleyes::unsure: