House Price Crash Forum
Panda

Www.depositprotection.com

http://www.depositprotection.com/default.a...hjs=1&fla=1

The landlord has put my deposit in with the above, has anyone any experiences?

Its just my tenancy runs out in three weeks, he has done nothing. I have verbally told him i want to stay on for another three months maximum after my agreement runs out in three weeks, then i am moving out. He was fine, but has done nothing.

When we moved in, we went through an agency, had a twelve months agreement in place, cost him a months rent, so he is reluctant to go through the agent again, tight git.

I have been a top class tennent, treated the place like my own, paid all rent on time etc. He just wants me to keep paying the rent until i leave. He is on about doing a Office World tenancy agreement for three months.

The trouble is i am going abroad for six months when i leave, will it be a ball ache to get my deposit back?

I am on a one months notice at the moment, but i have not given him any notice, nor has he given me any notice.

Any thoughts?

Panda.

Its just my tenancy runs out in three weeks, he has done nothing. I have verbally told him i want to stay on for another three months maximum after my agreement runs out in three weeks, then i am moving out. He was fine, but has done nothing.

When we moved in, we went through an agency, had a twelve months agreement in place, cost him a months rent, so he is reluctant to go through the agent again, tight git.

I have been a top class tennent, treated the place like my own, paid all rent on time etc. He just wants me to keep paying the rent until i leave. He is on about doing a Office World tenancy agreement for three months.

The trouble is i am going abroad for six months when i leave, will it be a ball ache to get my deposit back?

I am on a one months notice at the moment, but i have not given him any notice, nor has he given me any notice.

Any thoughts?

Panda.

If neither of you do anything it will automatically become a "periodic tenancy" whereby you have to give one month's notice and the landlord 2, with all other things remaining as now.

Whether the agency will try and charge the landlord for this will depend upon the agreement that they originally signed (and this is one of the issues which is currently at stake in the "Foxtons" case). The agency should not charge you for the tenancy becoming "periodic".

tim

If neither of you do anything it will automatically become a "periodic tenancy" whereby you have to give one month's notice and the landlord 2, with all other things remaining as now.

Whether the agency will try and charge the landlord for this will depend upon the agreement that they originally signed (and this is one of the issues which is currently at stake in the "Foxtons" case). The agency should not charge you for the tenancy becoming "periodic".

tim

Nice one tim, anyone any thoughts on the rest?

Any thoughts?

Panda.

The DPS is a custodial scheme and as such the money is held in the scheme. You should have been given a reference number you can check and it should be a straightforward process to get it back. I would ring the LL and book in the check-out appointment for the day you hand in your keys. Give it a good clean and take a few photos is always my advice.

The DPS is a custodial scheme and as such the money is held in the scheme. You should have been given a reference number you can check and it should be a straightforward process to get it back. I would ring the LL and book in the check-out appointment for the day you hand in your keys. Give it a good clean and take a few photos is always my advice.

Thanks, the day i hand in the keys, will be the day i leave the UK, can you protect against disputes etc? The LL says all is fine, then a week later when you are in Outerkatmundo, you find he changed his mind and is trying to withold the deposit?

Also is it paid directly into your bank account, cannot have a cheque, will have no address.

Panda

Thanks, the day i hand in the keys, will be the day i leave the UK, can you protect against disputes etc? The LL says all is fine, then a week later when you are in Outerkatmundo, you find he changed his mind and is trying to withold the deposit?

Also is it paid directly into your bank account, cannot have a cheque, will have no address.

Panda

You must have an address (friend/family) that it could be sent to. How are you going to settle up your utility bills if you can't give them an address.

tim

You must have an address (friend/family) that it could be sent to. How are you going to settle up your utility bills if you can't give them an address.

tim

Do it all online, pay everything online now, have not had a paper bill for over a year!

Do it all online, pay everything online now, have not had a paper bill for over a year!

They still need a real world address to send the summons to when someone doesn't pay. you can't send that to an email

tim

They still need a real world address to send the summons to when someone doesn't pay. you can't send that to an email

tim

Cheers Tim, when we moved in we were homeless, been abroad for a few months, went from a hotel to our current rented, so we were really homeless. Now we are going to be homeless again, once we leave.

Umm, BACS into my current account.

Cheers Tim, when we moved in we were homeless, been abroad for a few months, went from a hotel to our current rented, so we were really homeless. Now we are going to be homeless again, once we leave.

Umm, BACS into my current account.

Don't you know anybody who's address you can use. (Just being nosey here, it doesn't really matter)

tim

Don't you know anybody who's address you can use. (Just being nosey here, it doesn't really matter)

tim

Yep my brother, but out of curiosity, why can you not have a BACS transfer of deposit reurned? I mean i paid by card to the agent?

Panda

Repayments can be made direct to a UK bank account, or by sterling cheque made payable to the agent/landlord or tenant.

Repayments can be made to a foreign bank account, though a £25.89 administration fee will be charged for this service. The £25.89 will be deducted from the deposit amount.

In order to make a repayment to a foreign bank account, The DPS requires your repayment ID, IBAN number, bank account number, SWIFT code, and bank name and address.

Repayments by cheque can only be made to the named agent/landlord and/or named tenant(s).

;);)

Yep my brother, but out of curiosity, why can you not have a BACS transfer of deposit reurned? I mean i paid by card to the agent?

Panda

If the agency have set up this facility you can. But as most people will be happy with a cheque they don't bother to pay the set up costs.

tim

If the agency have set up this facility you can. But as most people will be happy with a cheque they don't bother to pay the set up costs.

tim

What set-up costs? Log into internet banking, make payment. Gets there in three days. The bank transaction fee for a business is less than for a cheque.

Cheques are a total pain in the bumhole, and the sooner they stop existing the better for everyone.

tim

I think it's in a custodial scheme Tim so it won't be paid by the agency but in any event it's usually free to make a BACS payment (in the UK) even from a business account whereas a cheque costs a fortune!

What set-up costs? Log into internet banking, make payment. Gets there in three days. The bank transaction fee for a business is less than for a cheque.

Cheques are a total pain in the bumhole, and the sooner they stop existing the better for everyone.

This type of automatic transaction isn't what companies use. There's no right to recall if you get it wrong.

tim

Forgive my ignorance here, but i am moving out soon. Do i and the landlord have to both agree that the full deposit will be paid back to me? Then go onto the website, both fill out a online form, and bingo, the money shows in my account?

Cheers

Forgive my ignorance here, but i am moving out soon. Do i and the landlord have to both agree that the full deposit will be paid back to me?

Yep. If either won't agree to this it goes to the arbitration process.

Can't help with the logistics bit.

tim