House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

loginandtonic

Does Your Favourite Restaurant Or Take Away Use Additives?

I've a friend who is always going on about how the take away near him cooks better than his life partner. Well - not surprising - they use additives

So its not better, its cheating.

Favourite additive they use is monosodium glutamate (looks like a bag of sugar) and artificial colours.

Add monosodium glutamate (msg) to stuff and it pretty much fools your taste buds into thinking everythings so much nicer than it is.

There are natural versions of it, worcester sauce, soy sauce and others, but msg is dirt cheap for bulk cooking.

I was at a cash & carry yesterday and couldnt help but notice the increasing volume of chemicals for sale for pro catering. not a good thing.

So next time you just crave that restaurant 'standard' of taste you cant get at home, go ask if they'd leave out the msg etc, and see what it tastes like then. i tried that experiment and the results were extremely bland food - but at least nothing artificial being ingested.

bon appetit

umami & seasonings http://www.mealtime.org/content.aspx?id=332

Guest anorthosite

I'm not too bothered, just as long as they don't use wheat if they say they don't, but that's for medical reasons.

I'm not too bothered, just as long as they don't use wheat if they say they don't, but that's for medical reasons.

same here on the wheat.

but msg + some food colours cause problems, msg may cause odd pains among other symptoms

I remember going to Makro (a lot of caterers buy there) and they had huge bags of grated cheese. At least they looked like cheese. On closer inspection the bag was labelled "Cheese Substitute" and seemed to consist almost exclusivly of chemicals.

same here on the wheat.

but msg + some food colours cause problems, msg may cause odd pains among other symptoms

MSG causes dehydration like nothing else. I once had a chinese meal so heavily laden with MSG I was dehydrated,vomited and felt like shit for the next 24 hours.

The problem is that most Chinese Chefs get about 15 minutes training after they have hitched a ride on a lorry on the Eurostar as it enters the tunnel. Adding MSG is just a way of enhamcing flavour of badly cooked food.

Thai restaurants / takeaways take much better care of the food they produce in my personal and professional opinion

i wonder what opinions are on this pretty unscientific hunch i have: if we excluded chemicals from our diets and surroundings, a lot of allergies and more serious disease would lessen significantly. eat natural, fresh food, give yourself a head start fighting against ill health, i say.

Guest anorthosite
i wonder what opinions are on this pretty unscientific hunch i have: if we excluded chemicals from our diets and surroundings, a lot of allergies and more serious disease would lessen significantly. eat natural, fresh food, give yourself a head start fighting against ill health, i say.

I'll agree with that, that's one of the reasons I routinely eat organic food.

MSG causes dehydration like nothing else. I once had a chinese meal so heavily laden with MSG I was dehydrated,vomited and felt like shit for the next 24 hours.

Me to, I woke up in the night so dehydrated I downed a litre of water, and felt really rough...the salt content must have been exorbitant.

Very careful now where I buy ready made food ...you never know what is put into it. ;)