House Price Crash Forum
200p

O'briens Sandwich Bar In Administration

Guest BoomBoomCrash

Good riddance. Another company paying very low wages bites the dust.

http://www.moneyweek.com/news-and-charts/m...dy-sweeney.aspx

Owing to his less-than-illustrious business experience, how did he ever get money from the banks? I had to spoof a bit. You mean you lied? Mmm, lets say I was creative. I had no money, and reckoned it would cost about £50,000. The bank wouldnt give me any, so I went to three finance houses in Dublin on the same day, telling each one that I needed £7,000 to buy furniture for a new flat.

This strategy was no accident, as it meant that they could not run cross-references on him. At the end of the day, he had £21,000. So what about the balance? “I went to Bank of Ireland on College Green, telling them that I had £21,000 of my own money, would they provide the balance? And they did.” In retrospect, he says it wasn’t a smart idea, as the business had no capital base.

More LIAR loans then

Edited by Yorkshire Lad

Good riddance. Another company paying very low wages bites the dust.

Any chance of embarassing yourself now and saving half a dozen pages of thread?

This will depend how the contracts are constructed, as most O'Briens are franchises. It should be possible for them to just rebrand and carry on as they are, assuming they are profitable.

Any chance of embarassing yourself now and saving half a dozen pages of thread?

This will depend how the contracts are constructed, as most O'Briens are franchises. It should be possible for them to just rebrand and carry on as they are, assuming they are profitable.

But when you buy a franchise isn't much of the dough paid for the brand name?

hoot hoot!!!

lol

wonder how much their sandwiches were?

http://www.obriensonline.com/

seems mid market so probably £2.50/sandwich.

i'll shed a tear for the sandwich company that goes out of business for selling sandwiches for under a pound.

I was on Southend Peir a while back, and theres the saddest little cafe on the plant where a very working class looking dude will begrudgingly slap two bits of sliced bread on a plate, smear a big of marge on them and chuck a slice of ham in and serve it up on a paper plate. cant remember how much but i think it was £1.50 or something. The peir which probably doubles as a sewage pipe is in the middle of nowhre, and yes, it was full of indian tourists... so i didn't linger, i get claustrophic, as god hates me.

but sandwiches are sandwiches. The number of times i look at sandwiches in petrol stations and am hungry and walk away still hungry after not spending £3.50 is 100% of the time.

where is the world going? where ever its going, its probably going to go there hungry.

Surely the sandwich business offers loads of potential for low price sandwiches. Bread, marg, ham, how much does that cost per sandwich trade rate?

image01.jpg

hamsandwich.jpg

3192928477_9f70d5c2e5.jpg

Edited by 50%deposit

But when you buy a franchise isn't much of the dough paid for the brand name?

Marketing's a big part of the package. However, for what would be an established business with regular customers a name change above the door shouldn't be too detrimental.

These franchisees should make sure they individually take advantage of a crisis. My guess would be the franchisor guaranteed the lease. It would be a good opportunity to approach the LL/adminstrator and see if a much softer deal, with plenty of break clauses, could be cut.

hoot hoot!!!

lol

http://www.obriensonline.com/

seems mid market so probably £2.50/sandwich.

i'll shed a tear for the sandwich company that goes out of business for selling sandwiches for under a pound.

I was on Southend Peir a while back, and theres the saddest little cafe on the plant where a very working class looking dude will begrudgingly slap two bits of sliced bread on a plate, smear a big of marge on them and chuck a slice of ham in and serve it up on a paper plate. cant remember how much but i think it was £1.50 or something. The peir which probably doubles as a sewage pipe is in the middle of nowhre, and yes, it was full of indian tourists... so i didn't linger, i get claustrophic, as god hates me.

but sandwiches are sandwiches. The number of times i look at sandwiches in petrol stations and am hungry and walk away still hungry after not spending £3.50 is 100% of the time.

where is the world going? where ever its going, its probably going to go there hungry.

Surely the sandwich business offers loads of potential for low price sandwiches. Bread, marg, ham, how much does that cost per sandwich trade rate?

image01.jpg

hamsandwich.jpg

3192928477_9f70d5c2e5.jpg

Er, no.

Anything that involves any amount of manual labour and well located property, in this country, will be very expensive. If the sandwiches could be made in India/China it might be possible, as long as you enjoy the runs (which I'm not immediately assuming you don't).

Edited by Soon Not a Chain Retailer

hoot hoot!!!

When I ran a fast food business a couple of years ago, a typical reasonable quality 1/4lb burger with cheese would cost

burger =20p

cheese = 10p

bun = 12p

So just over 40p, and sell them for over 2 quid.

Edited by Yorkshire Lad

Near me there's a Bakers Oven (now taken over by Greggs) which is always busy. Prices are not exactly cheap, but they're not an obvious rip-off either. So there's still a market for take-away buns, sausage rolls and sarnies. No surprise to see places obviously geared to the yuppies - like Obriens - go under. Question is, how long can Starbucks survive? I shudder to think what their rental expenditure is like.

Near me there's a Bakers Oven (now taken over by Greggs) which is always busy. Prices are not exactly cheap, but they're not an obvious rip-off either. So there's still a market for take-away buns, sausage rolls and sarnies. No surprise to see places obviously geared to the yuppies - like Obriens - go under. Question is, how long can Starbucks survive? I shudder to think what their rental expenditure is like.

The Greggs model only works by offering the same, bland, limited menu everywhere that's industrially manufactured elsewhere and baked off on site.

Their places haven't seemed nearly so busy, to me, they used to queue outside the door for a flaccid sausage roll.

Snap, I had copied exactly the same piece, sums it up really. If they miraculously get another round of credit expansion going at 0% interest rates then I will be putting all our money in the wife's name and pulling this trick. The system is so corrupt and easy to scam, the repercussions of the potential moral hazard is going to be huge. I still have faith they are managing this crisis down and understand the risks of trying to return to normal.

We need a financial reset, this is not risk taking it is fraud!

Owing to his less-than-illustrious business experience, how did he ever get money from the banks? “I had to spoof a bit.†You mean you lied? “Mmm, let’s say I was creative. I had no money, and reckoned it would cost about £50,000. The bank wouldn’t give me any, so I went to three finance houses in Dublin on the same day, telling each one that I needed £7,000 to buy furniture for a new flat.â€

This strategy was no accident, as it meant that they could not run cross-references on him. At the end of the day, he had £21,000. So what about the balance? “I went to Bank of Ireland on College Green, telling them that I had £21,000 of my own money, would they provide the balance? And they did.†In retrospect, he says it wasn’t a smart idea, as the business had no capital base.

Guest happy?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8109825.stm

Sandwich firm in administration

O'Briens has 109 franchises in the UK

O'Briens Sandwich Bars has confirmed that its UK business has entered into administration.

Not mentioned, so thought I would as I am probably the most suitable person to do so.

Looks like it wasn't a cut above then

When I ran a fast food business a couple of years ago, a typical reasonable quality 1/4lb burger with cheese would cost

burger =20p

cheese = 10p

bun = 12p

so plenty of good reasons to see cheap sandwich companies rise from the ashes of this recession?

id buy them just to support an entrapaneur. What lazy bum cant slap a ham sandwich together and sell them from a portable vending thing? and im talking the sort that a dude can walk around in like at baseball games etc?

id love to see that in town centers. is there a law against selling stuff?

i used to sell stuff in te streets and you need a peddlers licence available from the police station except they dont give them out because they are FOS. you can only peddle in towns you dont live in!! lol

but can you peddle food and can yougo door to door?

Do mobile sandwich sellers kill each other in dark allys?

Guest happy?
so plenty of good reasons to see cheap sandwich companies rise from the ashes of this recession?...

No not really - they're mostly on the breadline now.

hoot hoot!!!

lol

The likes of M&S and the supermarket metro-style stores all sell very basic sandwiches for little over a pound, as long as you aren't too fussy. Truth is, they do not sell very well - most people spend closer to £2.50.

Personally I still cannot get over being charged £3 to £4 by some of the high-end chains for sandwiches. And I don't touch their sushi with a barge pole.

so plenty of good reasons to see cheap sandwich companies rise from the ashes of this recession?

Do mobile sandwich sellers kill each other in dark allys?

Haven't you heard of the Maidstone Sandwich Wars?

No not really - they're mostly on the breadline now.

i know the industry is toast and alot of the more aggresive players end up in jam sandwiches but most of them avoid getting in a pickle and actually cut the mustard. The idea they they are between a rock and a hard place and a rock is untrue. And of course the spread isn't even with city players getting a thicker slice of the action!!

Haven't you heard of the Maidstone Sandwich Wars?

maybe this is the sibley lead we have waiting for..... that would explain his expensive house in a nice village

burger =20p

cheese = 10p

bun = 12p

For something that cost 50p the least I would retail at would be £2 (obviously £1.99 in reality).

With the higher operating costs of a takeaway/burger restaurant I doubt the gross margin you're quoting would be viable in a prime town centre location.