• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
The Irish travellers only arrived on the scene after the Elizabethan wars. That's my understanding. The Roma arrived in the 11th century in England, as already pointed out.

Give up. You're beat!

You understanding is clearly limited. There is archaeological evidence of roma in england around the 11th century but I am sure that they were here long before, the romans managed to arrive a thousand years before so why not a people who by nature travel? The fact is that widespread settlement did not take place untill around the 15th century.

HOLA445
after sitting with two romaniains tonight you are wrong its from india

NeilB knows that he is wrong. Apparently he tried to make a career of it but was constantly arguing with his students five days a week, who were probably sick of having to correct him.

HOLA446

If anyone was watching those David McWilliams documentaries about contemporary Ireland ("The Popes Children") the one about Irish property showed the British and Irish investors flocking to Bulgaria (not sure if the development was Bansko or not) and the whole thing was obviously a disaster in the making. One Scottish chap who had actually lived in Bulgaria for a while was shaking his head ruefully at the whole thing.

The investors all appeared to be beer-bellied wad-wavers, with eyes bulging at every piece of tat they were presented with. Not deserving of sympathy at all.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
You understanding is clearly limited. There is archaeological evidence of roma in england around the 11th century but I am sure that they were here long before, the romans managed to arrive a thousand years before so why not a people who by nature travel? The fact is that widespread settlement did not take place untill around the 15th century.

Historical evidence indicating that the Romani first left India—as mercenary soldiers or camp followers—around AD 1000 (Hancock 2002). Some suggest that emigration from India could have been as early as the sixth century (Fraser 1992; Hancock 2002).

Some have suggested that gypsy interaction with Varangian army camps first took gypsy genes over to England and Scandinavia in the 9th and 10th centuries.

An Lucht Siúil have married into my family. Very proud of it and sick of the insults.

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA4410
Mr B and I had our 'ancestral' DNA done by Oxford Ancestors. We share the same male clan 'father', who also 'fathered' around 45% of native Europeans, but also others as far away as Uzbekistan ((15%) and the Cook Islands (5%)

According to the info. this frisky old goat's clan originated around 40,000 years ago in the Middle East.

We had different clan 'mothers' - mine originating around 45,000 years ago in what is now NW Greece (11% of native Europeans inc. the Cheddar Cave man) , Mr B's 20,000 years ago in what is now SW France (mere parvenu ;) ) shared with 47%.

Oxford Ancestors can give you some interesting insights into your distant origins. Might do some people a lot of good. Recall see a documentary on Hitler a while back - he was so terrified of finding Jewish ancestors that he set about trying to 'cloud' his possible Jewish origins.

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA4411

I remember being stuck in Geneva airport, feb 2008 and trying to convince a guy from Sligo that I met there, who was on his way to buy into a Bulgarian development, that property was a very bad idea. This was 2008, ffs, and he was adamant he was going to get rich off of it, basically said I was a clueless idiot - I would love to meet him again.