House Price Crash Forum
Timm

What Advice Would You Give Your Child?

Scenario:

Congratulations! You have just seen your first offspring come into the world. However less welcome is the fact that your partner has sold you into a lifetime of slavery (real slavery) to pay for the upkeep of your child. (Your partner is evil).

As you gase your last on the angelic face of your newborn, you beg the slave-owner to grant you one last wish: that you can leave some advice for your child. He agrees, on one condition: that you have to select what advice to leave from only two options of his own choosing. (He is really evil). He writes on two peices of paper and explains to you that the paper you select will be passed to your child if they ever consider buying a house. The papers read:

1. Only ever buy a home you can afford and are happy to livein forever. And never buy anything unless it is no more than 3.5 times your single salary, and only if you have been able to save a deposit of at least 10%.

2. What took you so long? Quick! Run out now and buy the best place you can get a mortgage on! Otherwise you'll be a rent forever loser!

So, which advice do you give? Remember you don't know when it will be given...

sine both the options are absolute and arbitrary, the best thing for the slave child would be to present them with no advice at all, on the basis that my offspring are intelligent enough to realise the world is not entirely black and white, and that there is in fact such a thing as context

sine both the options are absolute and arbitrary, the best thing for the slave child would be to present them with no advice at all, on the basis that my offspring are intelligent enough to realise the world is not entirely black and white, and that there is in fact such a thing as context

Damn you for being right!

There was a point to this though - I was trying to strip out the context to see whether most here are pretty much perma-bears, or just bearish about the current situation. 11 votes so far - all perma-bears. (I havn't voted).

Anyway, the slave owner will force you to choose.

lol, I vote for that. Your poll is black and white and the right option for most people would be slightly grey.

Exactly. You don't have that choice.

If you just had to be one or the other, would you be a perma-bull, or an (almost) perma-bear?

It's not a real world scenario, as you might have noticed!

I voted for telling my child to buy a house straightaway on the basis that if he's like his mother he will do the exact opposite of what I tell him ;)

So the solitary perma bull vote is actually a double bluffing bear?

(You should have told his mother to sell you into slavery). ;)

There was a point to this though - I was trying to strip out the context to see whether most here are pretty much perma-bears, or just bearish about the current situation. 11 votes so far - all perma-bears. (I havn't voted).

I don't see option 1 as being perma-bear, just common sense. Indeed when I applied for my first mortgage it was pretty much the norm (except maybe the live in forever bit :)).

On the basis that the young are generally impulsive andyway, and will take advice with a pinch of salt, there are more words of wisdom in the first option.

Scenario:

Congratulations! You have just seen your first offspring come into the world. However less welcome is the fact that your partner has sold you into a lifetime of slavery (real slavery) to pay for the upkeep of your child. (Your partner is evil).

As you gase your last on the angelic face of your newborn, you beg the slave-owner to grant you one last wish: that you can leave some advice for your child. He agrees, on one condition: that you have to select what advice to leave from only two options of his own choosing. (He is really evil). He writes on two peices of paper and explains to you that the paper you select will be passed to your child if they ever consider buying a house. The papers read:

1. Only ever buy a home you can afford and are happy to livein forever. And never buy anything unless it is no more than 3.5 times your single salary, and only if you have been able to save a deposit of at least 10%.

2. What took you so long? Quick! Run out now and buy the best place you can get a mortgage on! Otherwise you'll be a rent forever loser!

So, which advice do you give? Remember you don't know when it will be given...

Obviously 1, but in reality I will advise them only buy a house at the right time in the cycle.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Son, it's just as easy to marry a rich one.

Congratulations! You have just seen your first offspring come into the world.

Dear god Noooooooooooooo! :o

Wait, if I click my ruby red heels together 3 times.

"There's no place like home, there's no place like home...."

[screen goes wibbley wobbley for a second]

Phew, what a terrible nightmare!

(I'm the kind who plays the Nick Cage film "The Family Man" backwards so that it has a happy ending.)