House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Saving For a Space Ship

'how Falling House Prices Are Making Things

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

"Well, I had hoped to destroy the futures of all the British young by buying up every single suitable FTB home in the country and ******ing the kids over with big rents to add to the misery of student debt. I thought this would be great once prices dropped, and had planned to buy half of Cornwall for no money down. But these banks are ruining my economy, they want deposits. God, how primitive, suggesting I might have to collect together some money first."

Guest มร หล&#3
"Well, I had hoped to destroy the futures of all the British young by buying up every single suitable FTB home in the country and ******ing the kids over with big rents to add to the misery of student debt. I thought this would be great once prices dropped, and had planned to buy half of Cornwall for no money down. But these banks are ruining my economy, they want deposits. God, how primitive, suggesting I might have to collect together some money first."

Cornwall's a good choice. Ageing population, retirement areas . . .

Coming up in a few mins.

May be of interest

Theres lots of ways that can be the case.

Higher interest rates (in terms of bank margins) than pre-crash.

Higher deposit requirements, particularly for those that live in areas where mortgages are similar to or less than rent, making saving a bigger deposit more difficult.

Negative equity trap forcing people to stay put.

Mortgage rationing.

Excessively high credit score requirements.

Etc, etc etc......

It's certainly true that buying a house is more difficult for most people when prices are falling. Whether thats good or bad depends on your outlook.

It's coming up in 2 mins after the break.

In addition, they just had a feature about house flooding.

Estimated that 1 in 6 properties was at risk from flooding in UK. Cost of damage expected to rise from 2.5 to 4 billion if issues not addressed. They had a guy from the Assoc of Insurers dodging questions about uninsurable properties etc

Theres lots of ways that can be the case.

Higher interest rates (in terms of bank margins) than pre-crash.

Higher deposit requirements, particularly for those that live in areas where mortgages are similar to or less than rent, making saving a bigger deposit more difficult.

Negative equity trap forcing people to stay put.

Mortgage rationing.

Excessively high credit score requirements.

Etc, etc etc......

It's certainly true that buying a house is more difficult for most people when prices are falling. Whether thats good or bad depends on your outlook.

NE has yet to trap 1 renter. :lol:

Agree,

but if you include timeframes in the `outlook', then whilst buying a house is more difficult when prices are falling, it will be easier, and cheaper after they have fallen and stabilise/start to rise.

Which, to me, means that it is best to let the market fall quickly, then we can all become bulls faster.

Y

Re-watch here (not available yet)

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1529573111

Summary: Desperate uber-b0llock V.I ramping imo. :rolleyes:

Low sale prices mean sellers will not put houses on the market, they will wait for things to pick up. This causes a lack of supply and rising prices.

Cuts to cr@p piece about 'for sale signs' becoming a rare beast in Birmingham :lol: Properties in limited supply, seller will rent them out instead of selling. (another excuse to post the Bham Rotundaa! thread http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=79345 ;) )

Ea's suggest this is happening across the country. Battersea is so tight, it's sealed bid time and properties selling over asking price. says Ea .

Lack of supply = Halifax say + 2.6%

Then they reel out the property trade assoc. Vi big guns.. more twaddle

Final comment from presenter .. 'Rally in house prices may not last long, but buyers are not having it all their own way'

After such a ramping vi article, the final comment seems like it could be used as a weak disclaimer for such apalling 'journalism' <_<

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Its quite simple. The deposits have to be high to allow for the size of the fall still to come.

Let the falls happen and the size of deposit required can be reduced (caveat - not to extent of bringing back 100% mortgages - I hope!!)

So, the pain for ftb's is that they have to wait a while. So, which is better -

1. the pain of doubling the size of the debt they have to acquire and repay over 25 years or

2. much less debt but a relatively short wait to acquire it!

I wonder why the C4 programme didnt start from this viewpoint.