House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

'redaction'. Who Started Using This Inappropriate Word?

Wikipedia definition.

In the study of literature, redaction is a form of editing in which multiple source texts are combined (redacted) and subjected to minor alteration to make them into a single work. Often this is a method of collecting a series of writings on a similar theme and creating a definitive and coherent work.

This has f**k all to do with blanking out seperate addresses and specific fiddles.

Or doesn't correct use of language, like decency in politics, matter any more?

Wikipedia definition.

In the study of literature, redaction is a form of editing in which multiple source texts are combined (redacted) and subjected to minor alteration to make them into a single work. Often this is a method of collecting a series of writings on a similar theme and creating a definitive and coherent work.

This has f**k all to do with blanking out seperate addresses and specific fiddles.

Or doesn't correct use of language, like decency in politics, matter any more?

Don't forget we're speaking English. Some words have more than one meaning!!!

Wikipedia Definition:

Redaction generally refers to the editing or blacking out of text in a document, or to the result of such an effort.

I think some ars*hole confused redaction with reduction.

Further redaction required on Sir Fred's theived pension.

"i before e except after c"

Sorry to have to point this out, but you can't join a thread about spelling/grammar and then make a spelling mistake. It's just not right :D

Sorry to have to point this out, but you can't join a thread about spelling/grammar and then make a spelling mistake. It's just not right :D

Sorry to have to point this out, but you can't join a thread about spelling/grammar, and then make a spelling mistake.

You missed out a comma catmandu.

"This has f**k all to do with blanking out seperate addresses and specific fiddles.

Or doesn't correct use of language, like decency in politics, matter any more?"

I think your comment needs to be redacted. :blink: . Lawyers use the term all the time - they use it meaning preparing a second document from a master where the second document has various references blanked out or "redacted".

http://www.duhaime.org/LegalDictionary/R/Redact.aspx -

moral : don't believe everything you see in wikipedia. Lets move on shall we - i'm back off to the news blog.

Sorry to have to point this out, but you can't join a thread about spelling/grammar, and then make a spelling mistake.

You missed out a comma catmandu.

You missed out a comma, catmandu.

So did you, apr400... :)

You missed out a comma, catmandu.

So did you, apr400... :)

and there was I, thinking that a clausal comma was required, whilst a serial comma was only needed for disambiguation.

it's an own goal for sure especially having read the link showing that use of the word redaction was correct.....just saw an excuse to vent my spleen on sir fred

Somewhat surprised yesterday to see the Beeb shunning the 'R' word and instead calling a spade a spade with 'censoring' or 'blacking out'.

Incidentally my fat Oxford dict. merely says, 'editing before publication'.

It'd be interesting to know which of the shameless shower had the bright idea of using this word, though. 'Suitably obfuscatory and none of the peasants will know what it means...'

My money's on Lord of the Dark Arts Mandelson.

Somewhat surprised yesterday to see the Beeb shunning the 'R' word and instead calling a spade a spade with 'censoring' or 'blacking out'.

Incidentally my fat Oxford dict. merely says, 'editing before publication'.

It'd be interesting to know which of the shameless shower had the bright idea of using this word, though. 'Suitably obfuscatory and none of the peasants will know what it means...'

My money's on Lord of the Dark Arts Mandelson.

To be precise, the expenses documents have been censored by redacting them. They were previously censored by suppressing them.

Edited to Add,

From the Full OED:

Redaction

1. The action of driving back, resistance, reaction. Obs. rare.

2. a. The action or process of preparing for publication; reduction to literary form; revision, rearrangement.

b. The result of such a process; a new edition; an adaptation; a shortened form, an abridged version.

3. The action of bringing or putting into a definite form.

4. attrib. and Comb., as redaction criticism (see quot. 1976); hence redaction critic, redaction-critical adj.

To be precise, the expenses documents have been censored by redacting them. They were previously censored by suppressing them.

Please split as many linguistic hairs as you like.

However, to all intents and purposes they have been censored by the means of a great deal of black ink.

Oxford def. of 'censor':

'verb [with obj.] (often be censored) examine (a book, film, etc.) officially and suppress unacceptable parts of it.'

Please split as many linguistic hairs as you like.

However, to all intents and purposes they have been censored by the means of a great deal of black ink.

Oxford def. of 'censor':

'verb [with obj.] (often be censored) examine (a book, film, etc.) officially and suppress unacceptable parts of it.'

Indeed, but redacting is the appropriate word to use in this case - as shown by a look at the full oxford dictionary. What this thread seems to be saying is that we shouldn't use the correct term as people are too thick to understand it. Okay - as long as we remember that next time we have a thread on the media dumbing down.

Edited to add:

I have realised that this posting might appear to imply that I think that people who don't know all of the definitions of redact are thick. That is not the case - everyone comes across words they don't understand from time to time. The media's problem is in thinking that this is a problem and thus reducing their vocabulary. Personally I am quite fond of an author who forces me to learn new words.

Guest anorthosite
I'm calling Godwin's law

;)

"Spelling nazi" is a recognised term that does not compare someone to an actual nazi, and as such is exempt from Godwin's Law. ;)

"Spelling nazi" is a recognised term that does not compare someone to an actual nazi, and as such is exempt from Godwin's Law. ;)

You used actual nazi,

I'm calling Godwin's Law again.

:lol:;);)

Guest anorthosite
I do hope so! I usually have to pay to take part in those.

You need Max Mosley's phone number. You could split the cost.

Guest anorthosite
I was going to post something really important on this thread but ....

art.black.rectangle.jpg

However, I assure you that my post was within the rules ... honest. :ph34r:

That sounds nasty, you should try applying some black_rectangle.gifblack_rectangle.gifblack_rectangle.gif