House Price Crash Forum
cashinmattress

£220 A Week Goes On Running A Home

£220 a week goes on running a home

It costs the average Brit £11,455 to run their home every year, new research reveals.

This means households fork out around £220 a week - or £31.38 a day - to keep their home going, the survey by Sainsbury's Home Insurance claims.

Gas and electricity prices have soared the most over the last two years.

Such a price bump sees Brits paying for gas that costs over 25 per cent more than it did in 2007, the study shows.

But council tax and mortgage payments remain the biggest financial burdens.

"We spend thousands of pounds each year running our homes and have often invested even more money on furnishings and decorating," comments Joanne Mallon, Sainsbury's Home Insurance Manager.

Mortgage payments could be lowered by switching to a fixed-rate mortgage now, moneysupermarket.com advises.

The bottom of the mortgage market has arrived and with interest rates expected to rise, cheaper mortgage deals should be found as soon as possible, the website suggests.

Comments?

It doesn't seem way out there to me for the overall cost of putting a roof over your head, but that's all I could say given the lack of info about what was actually measured. It doesn't even say if it's mean or median.

I agree. Uni students can pay as much.

Very suspect numbers and I too question their validity. I wonder if is how the banks and mortgagee's have fiddled the system for so long.

Guest มร หล&#3

Here's mine:

Rent/mortgage: £0

Electric: £12.50 a month

Water: £1 a month

Gas: £1.50 a month

Sewerage: £3 a month

Internet: £17 a month

Council Tax: £0

£35 a month. £420 a year. If you take internet out it halves it. £216 a year.

My outgoings -

Mortgage £9

Elec/Gas £34

Water (meter) £10

£53 - £636 a year

Big financial burden

Council Tax £950 a year

Essentials:

Rent - £600

Gas/Elec - £80

Council Tax - £120

Water - £38

Total - £838 (£198 per week)

Other:

Food - £250

TV - £10

Phone & internet - £30

= £290

= £1128 (Total £260 per week)

This means my family takehome wage needs to be £13,536 to only cover the above before tax £16,900

When you take into consideration clothes, holiday, transport (all included in labours definition of 'povert'), your salary would need to be well in excess of £20k

Mortgage Nil

Gas/Electric £45

Council Tax £60

Water £22

Phone/Tinternet £22

Insurance £25

I make that roughly £220 a month (allowing for anything I might have forgot). Which is nice.

Edited by Prof

Here's mine:

Rent/mortgage: £0

Electric: £12.50 a month

Water: £1 a month

Gas: £1.50 a month

Sewerage: £3 a month

Internet: £17 a month

Council Tax: £0

£35 a month. £420 a year. If you take internet out it halves it. £216 a year.

Plenty left over then for a suck and a f*ck?

There's a list somewhere that shows what the official receiver allows you to live on as basics - I'll dig it out later to see what they think is a minimum...

(bound to be on MSE so the bankruptees can make the most of the form filling)

I think ours is a couple of hundred a month - but thats no rent or mortgage...

Guest มร หล&#3
Plenty left over then for a suck and a f*ck?

Plenty left over for:

1. Kids private school education

2. Healthy food

3. Garden centre frenzies where I come back from town with the pick-up loaded with new plants

4. DIY and locally made furniture

5. Decent medical insurance, not expensive

6. Farm investment, going organic now, need to put some aerated liquid fertiliser systems together

7. Not having to work 16 hours a day on a dreadful regen site in the UK

Still um'ing and ah'ring over a new motorbike. Only a 250cc Kawasaki KLX mind, but they are still nearly £3k new. Found a decent '08 model with low miles for £1800 but it's a long way out from here.

You're thinking of Pattaya. I live over 500km from that dump.

Plenty left over for:

2. Healthy food

3. Garden centre frenzies where I come back from town with the pick-up loaded with new plants

6. Farm investment, going organic now, need to put some aerated liquid fertiliser systems together

Still um'ing and ah'ring over a new motorbike. Only a 250cc Kawasaki KLX mind, but they are still nearly £3k new. Found a decent '08 model with low miles for £1800 but it's a long way out from here.

Yeah and still loads left over for a suck and f*ck and the running costs of your 250 cc Kawasaki KLX for the 1000km round trip to Pattaya, get in there.

Only joking of course, I take your point.

Guest มร หล&#3
Yeah and still loads left over for a suck and f*ck and the running costs of your 250 cc Kawasaki KLX for the 1000km round trip to Pattaya, get in there.

Only joking of course, I take your point.

I would love that bike. I've got a Honda Click 125 at the moment and it's deadly on these roads. Serious potholes.

I don't like to take the truck everywhere . . . . trying to find excuses here, Godders.

The ironic thing is I had a similar bike when I was 17, a Yamaha DT125R. Around the same price too, £1800 2nd hand. Now at 34, I can't bring myself to lash out the dosh.

Essentials:

Rent - £675

Gas/Elec - £80

Council Tax - £115

Water - £30

Total - £900 / month

Other things vital to our lifestyle:

Shop bought food - £200 (we like to eat out every week or two as well, so add £60 to that)

TV - £0 (radio and internet FTW)

Phone - £12

Internet - £18

Running a medium sized car - £150

Underground pass for the wife to commute to work - £40

= £410

= £1310

Near on £16000 / year just for the basics. I do think that the original report didn't include rent/mortgage though.

Plenty left over for:

2. Healthy food

Are you keeping a photo diary of your garden? It'd be nice to see how it's coming along. It sounds lovely.

I would love that bike. I've got a Honda Click 125 at the moment and it's deadly on these roads. Serious potholes.

I don't like to take the truck everywhere . . . . trying to find excuses here, Godders.

The ironic thing is I had a similar bike when I was 17, a Yamaha DT125R. Around the same price too, £1800 2nd hand. Now at 34, I can't bring myself to lash out the dosh.

HA HA I knew it couldn't be perfect, pot holes eh? We have no pot holes to speak of here in leafy Cheshire and pay £2200 per annum for the priviledge, plus car tax, and tax on fuel. Jealous? yeah though so............

Guest มร หล&#3
Are you keeping a photo diary of your garden? It'd be nice to see how it's coming along. It sounds lovely.

I'm always too damn idle, forget or can't find the camera when I decide to, Kara. But here's one from a few weeks back. It's come on a bit since. For the saplings I pay 80 satang, about 1.4p. They grow fast. So 1000 plants costs 800 Baht or about £14.50. Is a cheap hobby and makes a lovely place to live.

The back garden is the next big one over the rest of the rainy season. Only big cost left is the back gate which I reckon will come in at around £200. The treliss fencing I'm going to do in treated bamboo pole and train Bougainvillea as climber.

Rest of the back garden will be fruit trees.

Rent/Gas/Elec/Council Tax/TV Licence/Internet = £390 month.

edit: forgot internet

Edited by ʎqɐqɹǝʞɐɥs

Guest มร หล&#3

Kara,

Back garden attached.

Oh, got to re-paint the house too. I hate the orange colour. Going with the hibiscus (pink, stop laughing).

Also need to put in a few more water jars. They're only £14 each. Those big orangey pots you see. Hold 1500 litres and are fed from the roof. Rains are a bit on and off here at the moment and I need sufficient capacity to maintain the garden during the dryer months.

Guest มร หล&#3
HA HA I knew it couldn't be perfect, pot holes eh? We have no pot holes to speak of here in leafy Cheshire and pay £2200 per annum for the priviledge, plus car tax, and tax on fuel. Jealous? yeah though so............

Local roads in this amphur are notorious. It's down to corruption and the local Kamnan (council leader). The rest of the roads in the area, particularly the main roads the UK would be proud of.

Our weekly grocery shopping bill has gone from £200 per week to £250 per week over the last few months.

Some strange increases.

eg pesto sauce - has been £1.79 a jar for ages. Yesterday £2.99. (I switched brands - hope it tastes OK).

Similarly Fairy Washing Liquid up from £5.39 to £7.15.

I think supermarkets are starting to target those shoppers who perhaps don't look too closely at prices!

Guest มร หล&#3
Our weekly grocery shopping bill has gone from £200 per week to £250 per week over the last few months.

Some strange increases.

eg pesto sauce - has been £1.79 a jar for ages. Yesterday £2.99. (I switched brands - hope it tastes OK).

Similarly Fairy Washing Liquid up from £5.39 to £7.15.

I think supermarkets are starting to target those shoppers who perhaps don't look too closely at prices!

Steve,

Do what, Bruv!!!

Surely you mean a month!

Maybe you have lot's of kids.

Steve,

Do what, Bruv!!!

Surely you mean a month!

Maybe you have lot's of kids.

No, 2 kids.

But the biggest cost isn't food it's toiletries / cleaning products etc.