House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

loginandtonic

Professors Of Washing Machines - Your Help Please

Is it necessary to insert the transit bolts when moving a washing machine for a removals van journey or is it just for distance trucking and sea containers?

Also, the elevation U-bracket thing, is that essential? Got a waste pipe going to under the sink, obviously that elevates anyway. Instructions say hook the U thing up before the waste pipe gets to the drain outlet, finding it hard to get that done. Whats consequence if i dont?

cheers for any info

Is it necessary to insert the transit bolts when moving a washing machine for a removals van journey or is it just for distance trucking and sea containers?

Also, the elevation U-bracket thing, is that essential? Got a waste pipe going to under the sink, obviously that elevates anyway. Instructions say hook the U thing up before the waste pipe gets to the drain outlet, finding it hard to get that done. Whats consequence if i dont?

cheers for any info

I've moved a few machines in my time and have never suffered any problem from ignoring the bolts. Most people lose them.

Can't advise on second point.

Machine installation instructions should tell you the minimum elevation required along the waste pipe run.

I've not used the horseshoe bracket on the past couple of machines.

cheers for any info

Well, if you are planning on travelling over traffic calming measures, over train tracks, potholes, or have the washer in a trailer I would recommend you secure the transit bolts to keep the seals and drive chain from being damaged. It's only a few minutes and peace of mind.

Installing the outlet hose outwith the manufacturers specification can yield poor operation, such as unwanted water leakage during filling etc...

Bolts - depends on how the machine is treated when it is relocated - a sharp jolt could cause damage otherwise and that can happen on the shortest or longest of journeys -, they should be used to be on the safe side - always best to tape/tie them to the back of the machine when they are first plumbed in so they don't get lost. If the bolts are lost and there is a part opn back or access to the drum in any way a few wedges of of old carpet to stop the drum knocking about would probably do the trick.

The bracket helps prevent foul water being siphoned back into the machine, not funny when you see the contents of a blocked sink/waste water pipe for example half way up the door on the inside of your washing machine. :lol:

Again don't worry if it is lost - part of a bent wire coat hanger taped to the flexi pipe will do the job just as well, create a little loop in the wire at the top and fix that to the wall or the batten supporting the worktop.