House Price Crash Forum
Panda

Value For Money, Would You At 1:2 £ To Oz $

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Value for money, would you at 1:2 £ to$

WHAT ARE YOU THOUGHTS

What do you reckon, a very old good friend is looking, married to an Oz national. :(

Australia is full of spiders and Australians.

SHERWICK: 'nothing wrong with spiders'

... I nearly fell of my chair ... rotflmao.

Only two problems with emigrating to Australia ... a 1-way ticket (in financial terms, anyway) ... and Australia is a very long way from lots of places (Europe in particular). OK ... so France, Austria, Italy, Greece, loads of places like that are my (occasional) cup of tea ... not everyone's.

The thing is (and Australia is less of a 1-way ticket than, say, South Africa) ... it is really hard to return to Europe (UK, in particular) on the 'capital' that doesn't grow as fast round that way.

But with everything going upside down ... then maybe living in an upside down country is the way to go?

Aidanapword

SHERWICK: 'nothing wrong with spiders'

... I nearly fell of my chair ... rotflmao.

Only two problems with emigrating to Australia ... a 1-way ticket (in financial terms, anyway) ... and Australia is a very long way from lots of places (Europe in particular). OK ... so France, Austria, Italy, Greece, loads of places like that are my (occasional) cup of tea ... not everyone's.

The thing is (and Australia is less of a 1-way ticket than, say, South Africa) ... it is really hard to return to Europe (UK, in particular) on the 'capital' that doesn't grow as fast round that way.

But with everything going upside down ... then maybe living in an upside down country is the way to go?

Aidanapword

I think that may have been the case, however it's definitely not a current problem. I'm earning more now in Oz than back in the UK and the exchange would have to shift closer to 3:1 to change that.

Saying that, all economic outlooks for Oz vs UK (short -> long) come out in Australia's favor so why anyone, taking into account purely economic factors, would want anything other than a 1 way ticket I'm not so sure.

Australia hasn't had to bail out it's banking industry and isn't staring trillions of pounds worth of unfunded pension liabilities in the face. It also produces things the world actually need come the recovery. The UK in contrast is Fd.

I think that may have been the case, however it's definitely not a current problem. I'm earning more now in Oz than back in the UK and the exchange would have to shift closer to 3:1 to change that.

Saying that, all economic outlooks for Oz vs UK (short -> long) come out in Australia's favor so why anyone, taking into account purely economic factors, would want anything other than a 1 way ticket I'm not so sure.

Australia hasn't had to bail out it's banking industry and isn't staring trillions of pounds worth of unfunded pension liabilities in the face. It also produces things the world actually need come the recovery. The UK in contrast is Fd.

Similar to the above. Long term outlook good, short term there will be bumps on the road. Also, I've survived a year without being killed by a spider so maybe there's hope (although I did get stung by a portugese man o war jellyfish, and got chased out of the water when a big shark got in behind the nets)

Guest มร หล&#3
And yet, and yet.... you always post on Australian threads.

Care to tell us why?

Because he's a Priscilla Queen of the Desert tribute act.

Here's a pic of DYIV. He looks quite normal on weekdays, but come the weekend . . . . :ph34r:

Similar to the above. Long term outlook good, short term there will be bumps on the road. Also, I've survived a year without being killed by a spider so maybe there's hope (although I did get stung by a portugese man o war jellyfish, and got chased out of the water when a big shark got in behind the nets)

Got ..... to ..... resist ......... got ...to .... stop .... pedantic tendencies ...... must ..have self con.......

...... ahhhh GOD DAMN IT ...

The Portuguese Man o War isn't a jellyfish ..

..... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sorry.

Guest มร หล&#3
Dont't forget also the snakes, the flies, the sharks, the crocs.............

. . . the dispossessed Kangaroos with fully automatic assault weapons, subversive Koala Bears, exploding barbecues, whinging poms . . .

WHAT ARE YOU THOUGHTS

What do you reckon, a very old good friend is looking, married to an Oz national. :(

GC and Sunny coast are two of the most over valued property markets in the world, based on local earnings - that example would be over 10x. There isn't really any work there - its a holiday destination. Prices are falling pretty hard tho in the gold coast especially right now so if your mate really does want to live there tell him to hang on a bit.

Because he's a Priscilla Queen of the Desert tribute act.

Here's a pic of DYIV. He looks quite normal on weekdays, but come the weekend . . . . :ph34r:

He's definitely a closet something, judging by the way he always returns to his sick.

Southport is one of the most undesirable places on the GC. There are worse places, but not many.

This is the thing that a lot of people discount when looking abroad. This is still £300k, and that might not buy you much in London, but you could still get a nice house in a lot of UK areas for that money.

GC and Sunny coast are two of the most over valued property markets in the world, based on local earnings - that example would be over 10x. There isn't really any work there - its a holiday destination. Prices are falling pretty hard tho in the gold coast especially right now so if your mate really does want to live there tell him to hang on a bit.

I agree, makes the UK look cheap, especially at 1:2 exchange rate. It reminds me of Florida, but will it crash the same?

Only time will tell, but why are the Ozzy's escaping the great crash/ recession?

WHAT ARE YOU THOUGHTS

Get Skype.

The + and - of Oz have been done to death here, nonetheless my 2p.

Not being a bankrupt nation is quite a plus point.

However I wouldn't touch Queensland with a bargepole, stinking hot and if you think the level of political and social debate is low in the UK, then just wait until you visit your friend there.

South of there is another matter, makes most of the UK look pretty grey.

House prices in Oz and NZ aren't cheap by local standards. However, if you're going out there with a fat UK deposit, you can still be putting yourself in a much better position than if you stayed in the UK even if your earnings drop. I never quite understand what is behind the "one-way ticket" argument either. There's no sure-thing bet on what will happen with exchange rates or relative housing prices so why would the cash you go in with not be extractable at some point in the future for a similar value?

Having said that, anyone who emigrated just because of the house prices would be setting themselves up for misery.

Get Skype.

However I wouldn't touch Queensland with a bargepole, stinking hot and if you think the level of political and social debate is low in the UK, then just wait until you visit your friend there.

Agreed. I enjoyed travelling around Queensland but if I moved to Austalia it would either be to the Sydney/Byron area or the Perth/Margaret River area.

Get Skype.

Yeah Queensland sucks, and it's full so don't come here :)

TBH it is v.hot and sticky here for 2-3 months over the Summer. The rest though is a lovely 20 - 28 degrees Winter, Spring and Autumn. On balance I'll take that over 12 months grey and miserable in the UK.

I've lived in Perth for a short time and if there were more opportunities there for work I'd be back in a shot. Sydney is fantastic to visit but I get the feeling it's a bit to much like London for my my liking to live and work there.

On balance Brisbane is by far the best city to live in Australia of all the ones I've spent time in. Although I'd really like to make it down to Adelaide one day.

Edited by AuroraBorealis