House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cells

General Advice On Antibiotics, I Think My Dentist Is A Little Crazy

Any dentists here, told to take antibiotics but I think it is very very silly

I just went to the dentist and the woman prescribed some antibiotics for tooth pain (only when I bite). However I am 99% sure this is a very silly prescription because there is almost zero chance I have a tooth infection and wanted a view.

Two months ago I had two composite fillings put in (she insisted even though neither tooth hurt and I was very reluctant to have them done). Anyway, the very same day when the aesthetic wore off the bite pain was apparent. I gave it time to calm down as you are meant to do after you have a tooth done. 1 month later and still the same problem so booked an appointment and finally got one today (2 months from the composite fillings)

Well she prescribed antibiotics and ibuprofen and said if that didnt work I would need both root canalled.

I am very sceptical that what she said made any sense.

How could she prescribe antibiotics when the pain was there straight after the tooth was worked on. There is no way I could have caught and developed an infection from leaving the chair and getting home. Likewise I dont think I would have kept a tooth infection for two months without really feeling it.

Either this was a really silly dentist or I am missing something.

I am quite disappointed with the whole experience, went in with two good teeth and came out with two bad teeth

Should I take the antibiotics or am I right to think she is a little crazy?

Any advise appreciated.

Guest AuntJess
Any dentists here, told to take antibiotics but I think it is very very silly

I just went to the dentist and the woman prescribed some antibiotics for tooth pain (only when I bite). However I am 99% sure this is a very silly prescription because there is almost zero chance I have a tooth infection and wanted a view.

Two months ago I had two composite fillings put in (she insisted even though neither tooth hurt and I was very reluctant to have them done). Anyway, the very same day when the aesthetic wore off the bite pain was apparent. I gave it time to calm down as you are meant to do after you have a tooth done. 1 month later and still the same problem so booked an appointment and finally got one today (2 months from the composite fillings)

Well she prescribed antibiotics and ibuprofen and said if that didnt work I would need both root canalled.

I am very sceptical that what she said made any sense.

How could she prescribe antibiotics when the pain was there straight after the tooth was worked on. There is no way I could have caught and developed an infection from leaving the chair and getting home. Likewise I dont think I would have kept a tooth infection for two months without really feeling it.

Either this was a really silly dentist or I am missing something.

I am quite disappointed with the whole experience, went in with two good teeth and came out with two bad teeth

Any advise appreciated.

I think she is a bit crazy. :o

I agree with Jimothy - 2nd opinion. I have had more dentists, not in the biblical sense - I hasten to add :rolleyes: - and there is tremendous variation in skill and knowledge.

That pain on biting, might be a badly-filled tooth where the filling did not fit the cavity. I have had similar pain.

I would not take antiBs unless there was inflamation, swelling and pain, and also not until the dentist had Xrayed it.

Thirdly - don't agree to a root canal unless as the very, very, last resort. I lost a tooth that way,as I was in incredible pain after the treatment for 4 weeks - couldn't put my teeth together without terrible shooting pain up my jaw... and I can't take ibruprofen. So there I was, in agony, with only parecetamol.

In the end I asked to have it pulled out, as I could not stand the pain and I could not eat. I was on soups!

I'd get a 2nd opinion.

With I had done that before I let her touch two perfectly good teeth.

But it’s a general question im sure hpc could figure out.

Basically I am asking if it is possible to develop a tooth infection in less than 2 hours from a perfectly fine tooth and then that infection continue for 2 months with no major pain. Im not a doctor but that seems highly implausible to me.

Personally I think she was being very silly and probably wanted to be seen as doing something.

Guest AuntJess

Basically I am asking if it is possible to develop a tooth infection in less than 2 hours from a perfectly fine tooth and then that infection continue for 2 months with no major pain. Im not a doctor but that seems highly implausible to me.

Personally I think she was being very silly and probably wanted to be seen as doing something.

You are correct, IME. An abscess would have you rolling around the floor in agony and it would not take 2 months to do it. :huh:

I think she is a bit crazy. :o

I agree with Jimothy - 2nd opinion. I have had more dentists, not in the biblical sense - I hasten to add :rolleyes: - and there is tremendous variation in skill and knowledge.

That pain on biting, might be a badly-filled tooth where the filling did not fit the cavity. I have had similar pain.

I would not take antiBs unless there was inflamation, swelling and pain, and also not until the dentist had Xrayed it.

Thirdly - don't agree to a root canal unless as the very, very, last resort. I lost a tooth that way,as I was in incredible pain after the treatment for 4 weeks - couldn't put my teeth together without terrible shooting pain up my jaw... and I can't take ibruprofen. So there I was, in agony, with only parecetamol.

In the end I asked to have it pulled out, as I could not stand the pain and I could not eat. I was on soups!

I dont like to question professionals but I did hint to her what I am saying here. That it was highly unlikely to be an infection because the pain was very soon after she worked on the teeth and that for two months there has been no major pain.

It only hurts when I bite, and only when the pressure is in the centre on the actual filling. I can bite as hard as possible teeth to teeth and I feel no pain at all.

The worst bit is that I suggested to her that I would first want the white fillings taken out and a new set put in before I try a root canal to which she pulled a face and said that wouldnt be a good idea.

I read on the net (yes not 100% accurate but pretty good) that in some cases white fillings do this and redoing them fixes it (theory is a bubble in the filling).

Anyway, so far I am thinking dont bother with the antibiotics. I have never ever taken antibiotics and dont think its a good time to start especially as I am 99% sure it cannot be an infection.

Guess I need to find a new dentist.

You are correct, IME. An abscess would have you rolling around the floor in agony and it would not take 2 months to do it. :huh:

No real pain at all.

Only when I chew and then it’s more of an annoying pain than an “OMG it hurts†type of pain.

Again I’m not a dentist but i think she added too much of the filling to the side of both teeth because it is just the one side corner of the tooth that hurts. i can see it overlapping the actual tooth and I don’t think that’s meant to happen

Guest AuntJess
No real pain at all.

Only when I chew and then it’s more of an annoying pain than an “OMG it hurts†type of pain.

Again I’m not a dentist but i think she added too much of the filling to the side of both teeth because it is just the one side corner of the tooth that hurts. i can see it overlapping the actual tooth and I don’t think that’s meant to happen

She sounds like a crap dentist to me. <_<

Anyone know of a website that recommends good dentists?

I don’t mind paying for good work for things like dentistry. Good work and you will have no problems for a decade or longer. Poor work and you will be back in two months time.

Would be wonderful if there was a website to rate dentists work and see who the good ones were.

I had my first dental treatment here in a Norwich a month ago and wished I'd travelled back to Bishops Stortford to see my dentist. Like others have said there are dentists and dentists.

The one in Bishops Stortford I'd recommend to anyone is funnily enough called the The DXXXXXXXXX B. Stortford.

Either way I've learnt my lesson so I'll still keep going back to see them even when I move down to Devon later on this year.

Thanks, I will try to book an appointment for when I am next in London.

Any advise appreciated.

You're getting the antibiotics to prevent any possible infection and the pain when you bite points towards you having an abscess at the root. Once you get an infection inside the gum it can be seriously bad news and so, AB is often given to nip nasty problems in the bud that can potentially cost you a lot of healthy perlies by destroying the bones in your gums.

Get a second opinion if you want one, but take the antibiotics, because the downside if you lose against the bacteria messing with your open wound is huge if you're unlucky.

You're getting the antibiotics to prevent any possible infection and the pain when you bite points towards you having an abscess at the root. Once you get an infection inside the gum it can be seriously bad news and so, AB is often given to nip nasty problems in the bud that can potentially cost you a lot of healthy perlies by destroying the bones in your gums.

Get a second opinion if you want one, but take the antibiotics, because the downside if you lose against the bacteria messing with your open wound is huge if you're unlucky.

Its not a problem with the root because I can bite very hard with nothing in my month, ie tooth to tooth and there is no pain at all. So it cannot be the root.

It is only when I press down on the actual new filling, not the tooth, just the filling.

Although you do have me a little worried now.

Aye there was a nasty program on telly a year or 2 back about a model who got an abscess. Lost half her face to it and all her front teeth + upper jaw.

Simplest thing is if you don't trust the dentist to go see another one. Go private if you need to - it doesn't cost the earth.

Guest X-QUORK
No real pain at all.

I had exactly the same sort of thing for about a month after having a filling replaced, but it did eventually calm down. When I called the dentist nurse she said that sometimes overfilling will result in moderate pain, and if it didn't go away to come back in and have it filed down a bit.

If it's been a couple of months I'd go and get a second opinion elsewhere, antibiotics should only be taken when absolutely necessary.

Given that the pain occurred immediately after the fillings, it doesn't sound like an infection...though I can see why she thought it might be - the nerves get battered by procedures like fillings, and if they get battered enough they die and get infected, or so a dentist told me. Of course this requires her not to have listened to you properly or dismissed what you told her, and would a medical practioner do such a thing I ask? :unsure:

There was some research done into the effect of going to the dentist - basically if you go to the dentist as often as is recommended (every 6 months) you end up with more fillings and worse teeth than those who are more irregular (e.g. every 2-3 years).

There is a breed of dentist who drills at the drop of a hat, and in the long term they will do a lot of damage to your teeth, sometimes as they are young and misguided, and sometimes because it is a nice little earner. I know this as one of my exes fathers was a dentist, and boy did he have some stories. Further, as a teenager dentists always said I had good teeth, except for one, who did a large series of "prophylactic" fillings as I had "deep fissures" and he wanted to prevent cavities arising in the future. Once I changed dentists the fillings stopped.

As a young teenager, I didn't really understand the word "prophylactic", I trusted people in authority, and the bugger damn well knew it when he asked for my consent. He was basically using my, and probably many other patients', mouth(s) to fund his lifestyle. Anyhow, he ruined a number of my teeth and most of the dental work I have had since has been repairing the effects of these botched fillings - including two that eventually had to have root canals and crowns ($$$...ouch), and one of these eventually had to be removed. I'm reminded of that p**** every time I get a cornchip stuck in the hole where my tooth once was. Would gladly kneecap the f***** if I ever ran into him again.

In short, get a second opinion...actually, just find another dentist. In my experience 66% of them are worse for your teeth than a Coca Cola habit...the remainder are excellent. My current dental practice is grade A in my opinion, but they charge like a wounded bull and I have to drive for over an hour to get to them. I suspect it is probably cheaper in the long run though.

Given that the pain occurred immediately after the fillings, it doesn't sound like an infection...though I can see why she thought it might be - the nerves get battered by procedures like fillings, and if they get battered enough they die and get infected, or so a dentist told me. Of course this requires her not to have listened to you properly or dismissed what you told her, and would a medical practioner do such a thing I ask? :unsure:

There was some research done into the effect of going to the dentist - basically if you go to the dentist as often as is recommended (every 6 months) you end up with more fillings and worse teeth than those who are more irregular (e.g. every 2-3 years).

There is a breed of dentist who drills at the drop of a hat, and in the long term they will do a lot of damage to your teeth, sometimes as they are young and misguided, and sometimes because it is a nice little earner. I know this as one of my exes fathers was a dentist, and boy did he have some stories. Further, as a teenager dentists always said I had good teeth, except for one, who did a large series of "prophylactic" fillings as I had "deep fissures" and he wanted to prevent cavities arising in the future. Once I changed dentists the fillings stopped.

As a young teenager, I didn't really understand the word "prophylactic", I trusted people in authority, and the bugger damn well knew it when he asked for my consent. He was basically using my, and probably many other patients', mouth(s) to fund his lifestyle. Anyhow, he ruined a number of my teeth and most of the dental work I have had since has been repairing the effects of these botched fillings - including two that eventually had to have root canals and crowns ($$$...ouch), and one of these eventually had to be removed. I'm reminded of that p**** every time I get a cornchip stuck in the hole where my tooth once was. Would gladly kneecap the f***** if I ever ran into him again.

In short, get a second opinion...actually, just find another dentist. In my experience 66% of them are worse for your teeth than a Coca Cola habit...the remainder are excellent. My current dental practice is grade A in my opinion, but they charge like a wounded bull and I have to drive for over an hour to get to them. I suspect it is probably cheaper in the long run though.

The difficult bit is knowing who is and who isnt a good dentist without first entrusting them with your teeth. A lot of them must be after $$$. I and most people would not mid paying more for honest good work.

The last time before this set of visits I went to the dentist was some 8 years ago when I was 16. At the time the fella really pushed hard to do a root canal on another tooth (Again no problems, I just went because I had not been for years). I 100% refused and he did a normal filling. 8 years on there is no problem. So why did he want to do a root canal? He was a young dentist and I reckon he wanted the experience and dosh.

They are too drill happy imho

One other thing to note. She did very light filing away of one of the two that hurts when I bite and that one feels a lot better. Still not perfect but the pain when I bite is reduced by perhaps 50%. She didnt touch the bottom one but I think if she drilled a bit of the filling away it would have also decreased the pain.

Im no dentist but it just looks like too much filling on one side of the tooth. I can feel it when I bite, those teeth are the first ones to touch.

The more I think about it the more disappointed I am with her and the dentistry profession as a whole.

I'd get a 2nd opinion.

Definately.

I won't bore you with my full dental history, but in short, I had a bit of a coming together with a rather hard pavement in my mid teens and damaged an awful lot of teeth. My dentist at the time came up with a list of work required that, had you scaled it up a few orders of magnitude, would have looked suspiciously like the plans for the Maginot Line, and I was told in no uncertain terms that should said work not be carried out I'd be left with a mouth like the Somme. That was twenty years ago, and like the Old Guard at Plancenoit, my teeth have held firm ever since.

So, to summarise :

- Dentists are often full of shit.

- French miltary history can be worked into pretty much anything.

The difficult bit is knowing who is and who isnt a good dentist without first entrusting them with your teeth. A lot of them must be after $$$. I and most people would not mid paying more for honest good work.

Best you can do is get recommendations from people you trust and then judge the dentist by what you experience. Sometimes, this will cost you a tooth. It does seem strange that 2 teeth that were filled suddenly need root canals. Did she take xrays? If so, you can (usually?) tell if the nerve is in bad shape. My current dentist, took the x-ray, and showed me the shadows that suggested the nerve was dead etc. all as a matter of course. The willingness to explain is generally a good sign. Unwillingness to deal with polite reasonably phrased questions is not.

The next best thing you can do is grab some dentistry textbooks and read.

It's taken some bad experiences to learn not to reflexively trust doctors and dentists. Some are great, many didn't listen in class or view you as a piece of meat.

The current problem in my family is my grandmother who was diagnosed with Paget's disease 12 months ago. She is quite old, and the doctor had no desire to operate as she didn't want to give her a general. She also gave some bs to my mother about the possibility of there not being cancer behind it. I said at the time that within the year they would have to operate, and they have just done so (without a general, an option not presented at the time), but now of course the cancer has had a year to spread and she is too old for a round of chemo. Who knows whether or not it has metastisized in the past year, but it is certainly more likely fatal now than what it was a year ago.

Of course there could be a perfectly reasonable statistical argument as to why not treating may have been better than treating (risk of operation versus risk of dying of something else before the cancer gets you), but the options are never presented so one cannot make an informed choice. One just has to accept what "god" tells you.

It does seem strange that 2 teeth that were filled suddenly need root canals. Did she take xrays? If so, you can (usually?) tell if the nerve is in bad shape.

No x-rays, just filed one tooth back a little which helped (but I couldnt tell her then because I didnt know until I ate some food). Gave me the antibiotics and told me to take ibuprofen at the same time (no mention of dosage or frequency on the ibuprofen, surely another mistake).

Said if the pain continued she may have to do a root canal on both teeth to which I said it is almost certainly not an infection and could she try to remove the fillings and put new ones in before a root canal to which she pulled a face and said that was not a good idea.

The fillings are not big deep fillings, they are relatively shallow so I dont see why she would do a root canal without trying to remove the old ones and put new ones in.

Anyway, I dont think I will take the meds she prescribed and visit another dentist.

She was a very poor dentist :angry:

The current problem in my family is my grandmother who was diagnosed with Paget's disease 12 months ago.

sorry to hear that.

Cracked cusp syndrome

Composite shrinkage, as a result of being placed in a single layer

Poor dentine bonding technique

Poor occlusal form

Might need RCT but I would rule out the other options first, probably worth replacing and see if that helps.

She did the lot in one layer. But I am also pretty convinced she overfilled one side of the tooth and it is not a cracked tooth. If it were a cracked tooth it would hurt if i bite tooth on tooth. Its only when pressure is on the direct filling. I can bite as hard as possible with nothing in my mouth with no pain, its only direct pressure on the filling.

It is a pain I can live with so I will not be getting RTC done, especially on two teeth. Obviously I would rather not have the pain so will see another dentist before I decide to live with it.

Im not so pi$$ed off at two perfectly good teeth with no pain turning into two crap teeth although I am annoyed a bit.

More pi$$ed off with her response to use antibiotics and her pulling a face when I suggested she take the filling out and put a new one in before trying a root canal.

Its not like she is doing me a favour out of kindness, I am paying her and she should have not dismissed my suggestion of trying to redo the filling before a root canal.

Guest AuntJess
I had exactly the same sort of thing for about a month after having a filling replaced, but it did eventually calm down. When I called the dentist nurse she said that sometimes overfilling will result in moderate pain, and if it didn't go away to come back in and have it filed down a bit.

If it's been a couple of months I'd go and get a second opinion elsewhere, antibiotics should only be taken when absolutely necessary.

:D +1

There are very few cases in which antibiotics will be prescribed by a dentist, an abcess is the main one which springs to mind.

Unless theres an obvious signal of inflammation, then antibiotics are probably unnecessary.

Your own saliva is a relatively sterile substance, and severe infections in the mouth are relatively uncommon.

I'd get a second opinion.

Additionally, unnecessary use of antibiotics should be avoided, as your body will become resistant to that class of antibiotic (and cross-resistance with other classes is possible also), reducing their efficacy in the event of an infection.

I Think My Dentist Is A Little Crazy

You should meet my dentist.

dentist-hollywood-jokes-1.jpg