House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Executive Sadman

Where To Live After The Fall

Recently ive seem a few houses come up that i would regard as reasonable value for money. Not in good areas but not in bad areas (ie social housing) either. Just run of the mill private working class areas in below average school districts. Some of these have been tempting me a little, i'll admit.

However, ive been thinking, once whoever is chancellor is forced to cut the Budget deficit, either by common sense or the market, some of these areas will probably tear themselves apart, and i dont want to be in the middle of it.

OTOH without the dole maybe theyll be forced to get jobs and not hang around street corners all day. The question is, will all these jobs occupied by the poles during the boom still exist in a few years time?

Just posting as a little caution to fellow HPCers. The area that 'bargain' house is in might now look OK. But after 13 dark years of Labourcide scratch beneath the surface a little and the horrible truth is clear as daylight.

I like the idea of a cave, arson proof, low maintenance, cool in summer/warmish in winter, water supply from a waterfall.... :huh:

I like the idea of a cave, arson proof, low maintenance, cool in summer/warmish in winter, water supply from a waterfall.... :huh:

There was an article in the papers today of a council managing to evict someone from a cave on the grounds that it didn't have a fire escape. He had lived there for 16 years apparently.

Avoid the cities as whatever problems there will be will centre there and isolated country areas as you will be vulnerable.............either a smallish market town or big village I would say; less risk of disorder and some vestige of community <_<

Or a disused WW2 pillbox somewhere of course :lol:

Easy to pour petrol in and burn you out. No witnesses to your subsequent prolonged torture.

Guest anorthosite

How about the Scottish highlands? There's a real sense of community up there. Just watch out for the islands. If you go there, be damn sure you're not a virgin or you will be going in a wicker man.

There was an article in the papers today of a council managing to evict someone from a cave on the grounds that it didn't have a fire escape. He had lived there for 16 years apparently.

Ain't that just typical of this country :angry:

Soon we won't be able to wipe our ar5es without an inspector making sure we use paper that conforms to the Bum Paper Softness Act 2009.:unsure:

How about the Scottish highlands? There's a real sense of community up there. Just watch out for the islands. If you go there, be damn sure you're not a virgin...

:lol:

I've always wondered (if you are male), how can you tell!?

:unsure:

Recently ive seem a few houses come up that i would regard as reasonable value for money. Not in good areas but not in bad areas (ie social housing) either. Just run of the mill private working class areas in below average school districts. Some of these have been tempting me a little, i'll admit.

However, ive been thinking, once whoever is chancellor is forced to cut the Budget deficit, either by common sense or the market, some of these areas will probably tear themselves apart, and i dont want to be in the middle of it.

OTOH without the dole maybe theyll be forced to get jobs and not hang around street corners all day. The question is, will all these jobs occupied by the poles during the boom still exist in a few years time?

Just posting as a little caution to fellow HPCers. The area that 'bargain' house is in might now look OK. But after 13 dark years of Labourcide scratch beneath the surface a little and the horrible truth is clear as daylight.

A yacht propelled by sails and / or an electric engine, water maker, wind generator, fishing line, gun, last but not least, a girlie!

Guest skullingtonjoe

Nuclear fall-out shelter. Preferably one of those large ones designed for an extended period of habitation.

Guest anorthosite
Hang on, only last week you were saying you were having problems with those from South of the border coming up.

You can't have it all ways.

Which is it are you inviting us or not? :unsure:

Naughty, naughty, that wasn't what I said! I said there were people moving there from all over Britain who want to retire there and stifle economic development in case it ruins the view.

Anyone who wants to come to Scotland and work hard and be part of the community is welcome. Scottish, English, French, Italian, gay, straight, black, white, whatever, if you choose to be part of a Scottish highland community, you're welcome.

Guest anorthosite
OK, so you don't have a problem with them rich Southerners coming up as long as they allow you to tear up your beautiful countryside, is that correct then? ;)

Emotively put, but yes, if they don't complain about local industry, they're wlecome. If they're a bunch of NIMBYs, I don't care where they're from, they won't be popular.