House Price Crash Forum

Hobby Suggestions Please

Guest X-QUORK

HOLA441
Guest X-QUORK
1,000 quid on a motorbike plus another 1,000 quid on bits and you've got a reasonable trackday weapon.

Visit lots of prostitutes.

Learn a 'difficult' language with a non-Roman alphabet like Japanese or Hebrew.

Hmmm, race a deathmobile, shag an Aids-ridden crackwhore or learn Jap?

Pass the Gin.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

A friend gave me a mountain bike a few years ago by way of thanks for a job I did for his family.

My kids wanted to go bike riding yesterday (Fathers day) so I took the bike from the garage, dusted off, gave it a good oil up and some air in the tyres and went to the park.

It was brilliant, must have been 10+ years since I was last on a bike and I felt young again. This will definitely not be the last time and we are going to buy the wife a bike too.

I live 4 miles from work and am seriously considering cycling in on nice weather days...

It was an amazing trip to the park and I felt very much involved with my children :D

HOLA443
Guest AuntJess
X-Quork

Congratulations for giving up alcohol. Nonetheless, I hope you get to enjoy it in moderation from some point in the future.

Here are a few hobby ideas biased towards giving your time for the benefit of others:

* Support an alcoholics group. Others less strong minded than you would welcome your example, and you're reminded on your own wise choice!

* Become a governor or an associate governor of your child's school or enlist to be a regular story teller at a primary school.

* Support a local community group or initiative that improves your local environment.

* Volunteer. The options are limited by what you want to get out of it, but here are a few examples:

http://www.helpthehospices.org.uk/about-ho...t-volunteering/

http://www.helptheaged.org.uk/en-gb/HowYou...e/Volunteering/

http://cms.met.police.uk/met/boroughs/king...lice_volunteers

http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Satellite?...mp;pg=volunteer

* Become a mentor for a college or the prison service. Your local college or nearest prison will have details.

* Become a pen friend to soldiers or prisoners. Here's a typical website explaining more:

http://www.humanwrites.org/becoming-a-penfriend.php

* Become an online tutor; either paid or unpaid. Here's a typical site explaining more: http://www.hometutors.org.uk/

Regardless of the above, I hope you find ample satisfaction in whatever you decide to take up.

Best wishes

Liquid

As to supporting an alcoholics group: They won't let you counsel alcoholics until you have been 2 years off the sauce. Would suspect it is similar for 'support workers'.

HOLA444

Mountain Bike. 300 quid with V-brakes, good entry-level price. 500 quid with hydraulic disks when you get a bit more 'mountainous'.

Living in the countryside as you do, there'll be plenty mixed terrain (off-road, farm access, forest trails, etc) for you to explore, gets you astonishingly fit astonishingly quickly, re-connect with nature, learn the names of the birds and the trees, gives you the 'buzz' you'll miss w/o the booze.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/

HOLA445
Guest redwine
us'.

Living in the countryside as you do, there'll be plenty mixed terrain (off-road, farm access, forest trails, etc) for you to explore, gets you astonishingly fit astonishingly quickly, re-connect with nature, learn the names of the birds and the trees, gives you the 'buzz' you'll miss w/o the booze.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/

Don't buy a mountain bike there finished have been for at least 3 years

They were replaced by VTC's or "cross-overs" half mountain bike ,half road bike

The problem with a mountain bike is there weight they tend to be heavy and slow so you peddle like mad just to go nowhere

buy a helmet if you fall off you might end up in a hospital like i did with a few stiches in your head

unless your a mountain bike fanatic they are out of date not worth bothering about

HOLA446

The problem with a mountain bike is there weight they tend to be heavy and slow so you peddle like mad just to go nowhere

buy a helmet if you fall off you might end up in a hospital like i did with a few stiches in your head

unless your a mountain bike fanatic they are out of date not worth bothering about

... or you might end up like a mate of ours, dead.

HOLA447

Bah - that is not a mountain bike - that is a mountain bike shaped object. My bomb proof Orange trail bike weighs less than a halfords road bike.

HOLA448

I'll add some to the mix:

Football, involve yourself in a local club, get your son in the team, become a coach or a referee. Most local clubs are looking for volunteers - ask. (Or rugby if its more your thing)

Poker, great strategic game, involves a range of skills, albeit not outdoor.

Golf, try out a small 9 hole with a friend, if you enjoy get some clubs and get more serious.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Guest Parry
Bah - that is not a mountain bike - that is a mountain bike shaped object. My bomb proof Orange trail bike weighs less than a halfords road bike.

I fancy one of those Ducati mountain bikes one chap on here once posted about. Be around 750 Euros there, £20,000 here.

HOLA4411
I fancy one of those Ducati mountain bikes one chap on here once posted about. Be around 750 Euros there, £20,000 here.

Right. I'll get a couple of hundred of them, and sell them to you for 10 grand each. You can then double your money over there. This time next year Parry, we'll be ................................... :lol:

HOLA4412
Guest Parry
Right. I'll get a couple of hundred of them, and sell them to you for 10 grand each. You can then double your money over there. This time next year Parry, we'll be ................................... :lol:

Import duty of 95% I'm afraid. Asian protectionism at it's worst (best).

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

WTF are you on about? "Replaced"?

Get a road bike for the road, a mountain bike for off-road. Hybrids baffle me - they show a distinct lack of commitment. Slow on the road, totally useless off-road. What are they for?

Certainly not this sort of thing (see photo attached).

loch_muich_pic002.jpg

post-14504-1245747173_thumb.jpg

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Guest redwine
WTF are you on about? "Replaced"?

Get a road bike for the road, a mountain bike for off-road. Hybrids baffle me - they show a distinct lack of commitment. Slow on the road, totally useless off-road. What are they for?

Certainly not this sort of thing (see photo attached).

loch_muich_pic002.jpg

It all depends on what your looking for and its good to have the choice

mountain bikes

bi-twin or multisport

BMX or bi-cross

there are all bikes just more adapted for peoples needs

Ski-ing is the same

surfing

parabolic skis

cross country skis etc

the same sport but diffrent ways of ski-ing

HOLA4417

For anyone seeking a hobby who is or wants to be musically inclined, I'd highly recommend the purchase of a harmonica.

"Harmonica? That's like a mouth organ, ain't it?, I hear you sneer.

Well, yes it is.

I could link some clips of the late, great Larry Adler to demonstrate what beautiful sounds can be teased from one. Instead here's one featuring Buddy Greene who's very good but nevertheless non-league compared to Adler and several others. Nevertheless, he elicited a standing ovation at Carnegie Hall, no less, for this four-minute performance.

He's playing a diatonic harmonica. They are small and almost always have ten holes. There's also the chromatic type which are longer, usually have more holes and a pesky slider thing you need to press in often.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

For parents of a young child it is a very good idea to practice a musical instrument on a regular basis while they are in the room. Doesn't matter how badly you play. At a young age they really don't know that you sound terrible but they will remember you playing and it sort of puts the idea in their head that making music can't be difficult because even daddy can do it.

When it comes to them picking up an instrument later, they'll have a much easier time of it thanks to your early practice in front of them.

HOLA4420

Presumably not a P7S then: What a lardy bike that is. I'm currently riding a Marin Attack Trail. Huge, plush full suss rig, weighs less than my 7 year olds bike. Mind you, I wish I'd bought an Orange 5.....

But to all else, I've got to say, for good healthy outdoor fun you cant beat a bike. Even a BSO, as long as you recognize it's limitations and upgrade as soon as you can. But do wear helmets and gloves, and, if you're going off road, some form of glasses/sunnies.

HOLA4421
Presumably not a P7S then: What a lardy bike that is. I'm currently riding a Marin Attack Trail. Huge, plush full suss rig, weighs less than my 7 year olds bike. Mind you, I wish I'd bought an Orange 5.....

But to all else, I've got to say, for good healthy outdoor fun you cant beat a bike. Even a BSO, as long as you recognize it's limitations and upgrade as soon as you can. But do wear helmets and gloves, and, if you're going off road, some form of glasses/sunnies.

I used to have a Marin, but just couldn't get on with it myself and moved onto an Orange Clockwork, and now my current brace of old but very nice Orange E6s with XTR, Hope wheelsets, and Pace shocks on one and Project twos on the other for when I want it bumpy. ;)

Kinda like an EV08 from the current range but with all the crappy components replaced.

Agree with the safety kit - I once ended up twenty feet from my bike when I put the front wheel down a rut.

HOLA4422
For anyone seeking a hobby who is or wants to be musically inclined, I'd highly recommend the purchase of a harmonica.

"Harmonica? That's like a mouth organ, ain't it?, I hear you sneer.

Well, yes it is.

I could link some clips of the late, great Larry Adler to demonstrate what beautiful sounds can be teased from one. Instead here's one featuring Buddy Greene who's very good but nevertheless non-league compared to Adler and several others. Nevertheless, he elicited a standing ovation at Carnegie Hall, no less, for this four-minute performance.

He's playing a diatonic harmonica. They are small and almost always have ten holes. There's also the chromatic type which are longer, usually have more holes and a pesky slider thing you need to press in often.

How he got some of those notes on a diatonic (C?) is beyond me (I don't mean the lower 'easy' bends either!) he is a master of this instrument and demonstrates this beautifully in that clip!

From a fellow peewee gob-harp player I agree it is a very rewarding hobby with so many styles to suit different tastes. Not yet settled on a style myself but I think that's why it's such a fun instrument. You don't have to be a master to pick one up either, very easy to play by ear or using tabs and best of all they can be carried round anywhere for that spontaneous moment!

Another great player -

, sadly no longer with us.

HOLA4423
Guest redwine
I used to have a Marin, but just couldn't get on with it myself and moved onto an Orange Clockwork, and now my current brace of old but very nice Orange E6s with XTR, Hope wheelsets, and Pace shocks on one and Project twos on the other for when I want it bumpy. ;)

Kinda like an EV08 from the current range but with all the crappy components replaced.

Agree with the safety kit - I once ended up twenty feet from my bike when I put the front wheel down a rut.

I must admit that i do not know alot about these so called "orange man bikes "

You should buy a rockrider in the "Decathlon.com .fr

Here our local real mountain bike shop in Annecy or the alpes where bikes have been tested in real "mountain " conditions

Rockrider is a good value mountain bike catering for low to high budget

I am sure that a orange bike is good in east anglia but what is it really worth in "the real mountains"?

excuse me for the provoc could not resist english mountain bikes

HOLA4424
I must admit that i do not know alot about these so called "orange man bikes "

You should buy a rockrider in the "Decathlon.com .fr

Here our local real mountain bike shop in Annecy or the alpes where bikes have been tested in real "mountain " conditions

Rockrider is a good value mountain bike catering for low to high budget

I am sure that a orange bike is good in east anglia but what is it really worth in "the real mountains"?

excuse me for the provoc could not resist english mountain bikes

A lass I ride with showed up last week with a shiney new Decathlon 8.2. Nice bike. I've got an ancient Go Sport Scrapper (similar to Decathlon) - got to admit, it's bomb-proof, rides well and is cheap as chips.

But we do have mountains in the UK, you know (although admitedly not in Essex), as well as numerous World champion mountain bikers. Although, as, in French the bikes are VTTs, (Velos Tous Terrain) this points towards the fact that even the French recognize it is not all about elevation, it is about terrain.

I'll let Orange bikes speak for themselves:

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/2009bikes/bikes.php

or are you just teasing?

;)

HOLA4425
Guest redwine
are you just teasing?

;)

yeah i will be honest i am just teasing i could not resist "english mountain bikes"

Its like people who go cross-country ski-ing i often ask them

What do you get out of it ?there is no speed or danger and they reply that they can seen animals and trees even though the so called "animals " are all asleep below 2 meters of snow

Instead of being honest and telling the truth and saying "i do not know how to ski"

vtts or now bmx are the same you have to know what you want and fix your limits

Ski extreme is a good example skiers jumping out of helicopters in Chamonix onto glaciers in to very dangerous conditions

If you are happy with your vtt in Essex so much the better but be careful when you find yourself in high altitude and theres is nobody there to help you

know what you want and fix your limits the french alpes are not a playground

Archived