Overcoming the put-off objections

Getting clients to recommend us

Qualification of prospective vendors

Developing existing contacts

Mail drops that work - and those that don't

Countering undercutting and overvaluing

Getting acceptance for the erection of boards

Obtaining the SOLE AGENCY

Reducing vendor aspirations in a buyer's market.

Advertising

How to write advertisements

Selling Techniques

How and when to accompany applicants to view

Raising desire for your properties

Structuring a presentation

Controlling the sale

How to encourage clients to accept offers

Motivating the vendor and applicant

Obtaining maximum price in a buyers market

Handling and Beating the Competition

Being recognised as being different and better

How to sell superior service at a higher fee

Making vendors compare like with like

Laws of selling against competition

Getting the Decision

Recognising Buying Signals

When you walk into an EA's office, bear in mind theyt will generally have attended courses covering all of the ablve - and be ready with your tactics.

Edited by othello

Or:

Typical course content:

Fundamental Sales Skills

Basic selling skills reviewed to lay the foundation of the course

Negotiation Skills

The 10 essential rules

How to recognise negotiation ploys

Obtaining Instructions that will Sell

Handling the Telephone Enquiry

Getting the Appointment

Common mistakes and how to correct them

Advertising

Selling Techniques

Controlling the sale

Getting the Decision

Typical course content:

Fundamental Sales Skills

Negotiation Skills

The 10 essential rules

Getting the Appointment

Common mistake : being an estate agent

Correcting it: get another job

Edited by PotNoodle

Controlling the sale

:lol:

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
So how do you counter these things? I hate it how agents make me feel apologetic for not doing what they want me to do.

You see them for what they are, thick parasitic scum with no remorse, morality or sense of their wider effect on society.

Observe them attempting to steal food from your children's mouths for an unskilled service, wrapping their serpent tongues around falsities and fabrications, thieving the lifeblood of an entire nation, in a complicit circle***** with bankers and politicians. Dragging down a decent society to the lowest common filth, laughing at your emotional naivety as they attempt all foul means to devalue your labour to that of a slave as you desperately attempt to claw your way into some sort of illusion of safety and ownership before you die.

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Simple, always offer a minimum of 20% less than the asking price. (In my experience 40% at this date). Then watch as they tell you they won't pass it on to the vendor; then calmly explain they are the advertised "agents" and the price is merely an offer to tender, then explain yours is a counter offer and as "agents" they are legally bound to pass it on.

Otherwise they would be house shops.

I'm disappointed not to see:

Gelling and waxing the essential sticky-up hair

and

Choosing very big fat shiny polyester ties

And of course the absolutely essential:

Introductory trolling and how to disrupt house price forums. :lol:

I've had some discussions with EA's recently.

Number one knew as much about the economy as most posters on here. They know their job is to manage expectations of buyers and sellers, no matter how deluded either party may be.

I'm dealing with EA number two at the moment to sell a couple of houses for probate. As far as I can see, they have been honest about the state of the market and the EA knows what he's doing. However, they mistakenly think there is plenty of money for mortgages this year and don't forsee any trouble in the second half of '09. They are short of houses to sell at the end of this spring bounce.

On the other hand, I've also had to deal with a different EA that is misleading, incompetent and doesn't return calls and emails. They fall into the slime-ball category that fits the public image.

VMR.

Unfortunately for the Fat Knotted Acne brigade they have spent the last 10 years dealing with people with equal or lesser intelligence - ie the "we've got no money but we have fallen in love with it and want to indebt ourselves for the rest of our lives to a shoebox which will halve in value within 3 years".

From now on, they will be dealing with Bears, who have earned their money. Who basically regard estate agents as they would a piece of dogchod on thier shoe....

a particulary thick and dense piece of dogchod.

I'm gonna really f*** with a few estate agents before I eventually buy. When it comes to estate agents I am sick enough to gain pleasure from causing misery to someone who is less capable than myself.

and

Counting to ten without using fingers. (Anyone getting to eleven is over-qualified)

You see them for what they are, thick parasitic scum with no remorse, morality or sense of their wider effect on society. Observe them attempting to steal food from your children's mouths for an unskilled service, wrapping their serpent tongues around falsities and fabrications, thieving the lifeblood of an entire nation, in a complicit circle***** with bankers and politicians. Dragging down a decent society to the lowest common filth, laughing at your emotional naivety as they attempt all foul means to devalue your labour to that of a slave as you desperately attempt to claw your way into some sort of illusion of safety and ownership before you die.

Sorry. :(

You see them for what they are, thick parasitic scum with no remorse, morality or sense of their wider effect on society.

Observe them attempting to steal food from your children's mouths for an unskilled service, wrapping their serpent tongues around falsities and fabrications, thieving the lifeblood of an entire nation, in a complicit circle***** with bankers and politicians. Dragging down a decent society to the lowest common filth, laughing at your emotional naivety as they attempt all foul means to devalue your labour to that of a slave as you desperately attempt to claw your way into some sort of illusion of safety and ownership before you die.

Stop sitting on the fence. Do you like EAs or don't you?

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Unfortunately for the Fat Knotted Acne brigade they have spent the last 10 years dealing with people with equal or lesser intelligence - ie the "we've got no money but we have fallen in love with it and want to indebt ourselves for the rest of our lives to a shoebox which will halve in value within 3 years".

From now on, they will be dealing with Bears, who have earned their money. Who basically regard estate agents as they would a piece of dogchod on thier shoe....

a particulary thick and dense piece of dogchod.

I'm gonna really f*** with a few estate agents before I eventually buy. When it comes to estate agents I am sick enough to gain pleasure from causing misery to someone who is less capable than myself.

Excellent, may I join you on househunting and agentbaiting trips?

Does this mean they do not recieve basic training to cover:-

How to be condescending

How to keep a straight face when ringing 'to ask for feedback on No 28, its lovely isnt it?'

Advanced straight faced training - Convincing a lesser human that 'Its a good price'

Life coaching - you're a tiger - Rrrrrrooooaaarrrr!

How to say a higher number than your competitor in order to get an instruction. This includes a tricky skill known as counting!!!!

How to tie a really fat tie knot!

Personal grooming. Fake tan and scrape back for the ladies. Fake tan and spikey hair for the men.

How to lie without thinking. Pretending there is another bid will become a reflex action.

I've had some discussions with EA's recently. Number one knew as much about the economy as most posters on here.

(...)

:o

This might be the place to post THIS. I found it on the website of one of the better regarded Oxford EAs.

How low will prices go in 2009?

This past year will go down as the one in which the property market raced from boom to bust. In the autumn of 2007 prices began to fall each month as the international banking crisis took hold. With the mortgage supply drying up, house sales have now slumped by more than half, first-time buyers have increasingly been driven from the market and the construction industry has plunged head-long into recession. Building sites have been mothballed, thousands of workers laid off, and millions of unsold bricks are now being stockpiled around the country. And if the surveys by the Halifax and the Nationwide are anything to go by, house prices will end this year between 15% and 20% lower than they started - easily the biggest annual slump on record. About £30,000 has already been knocked off the selling price of the average house in the past year, and people have stopped borrowing extra cash against the now deflating value of their homes.

So what will 2009 bring? More of the same or the beginning of an upturn? A year ago many experts were predicting that prices would be flat this year or might even rise a bit. Those views were rapidly outstripped by events. Now most commentators believe that prices will continue falling well into 2009, indeed maybe for the whole of the year. "We will expect prices to continue to fall because of the economic conditions; you wouldn't expect the market to turnaround in those conditions", says the Nationwide's chief economist Fionnuala Earley, referring to the growing recession. Her counterpart at the Halifax, Martin Ellis, echoes that view. "We are comfortable with the view that there will be a 20% fall over 2008 and 2009". So if prices fall 15% this year, will they drop by just 5% next year? "We don't want to be too specific about next year," he replies. Both lenders in fact will publish their formal house price predictions, with more specific figures, in the next few weeks and so will the lenders' trade body the Council of Mortgage Lenders. It recently described making short term house price predictions in the current market as "futile". But CML spokesman Bernard Clarke says it will stick its head above the parapet again soon. "We are going to be publishing something before the year end but we are currently working on it," he says. "Prices are likely to keep falling, at least in the early part of the year."

Jonathan Davis, a chartered financial planner at Armstrong Davis, and spokesman for housepricecrash.co.uk says next year reality will kick in, even more than in 2008. "Next year prices will fall by 15-20% because unemployment is kicking in, house repossessions will rise rapidly and houses will go through auctions at previously silly prices - and banks aren't lending," he predicts. After forecasting the end of the house price bubble for several years, his worst predictions now seem to be coming true. "By 2010 prices will be significantly lower than the peak in late summer 2007; if they fall 15% next year then that will take us to 68% of the high point - a 32% fall," he points out.

The key factor in the slump so far has been the rapidity with which the mortgage tap has been turned off, as banks and building societies have found they simply have much less money to lend. The industry is keeping its fingers crossed that the government's attempts to bail out the banking system, along with cuts in interest rates, will eventually see more money flow to borrowers. "Things are very fluid - credit is still in very short supply; interest rates are coming down quite sharply; and Libor is also coming down," says Simon Rubinsohn, chief economist at the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (Rics). "So the cost of borrowing is falling, but the availability of money remains restricted - which is where the key lies."

"And in truth no-one knows when that will change," he adds.

Did someone we know write this? There is more at the link...

Typical course content:

Fundamental Sales Skills

Negotiation Skills

The 10 essential rules

Getting the Appointment

Advertising

Selling Techniques

Controlling the sale

Getting the Decision

When you walk into an EA's office, bear in mind theyt will generally have attended courses covering all of the ablve - and be ready with your tactics.

Interesting stuff that I had never considered before. Where did this come from? Can you get access to any course material?

Roughly what's the average churn of staff out of a branch of an EA and/or out of the 'profession' generally?

High, i'd imagine. i doubt that many are offered the opportunity to go on these courses... although thinking about it maybe it's a personal choice since such a high proportion of pay comes from commission.

and

No training required. That's a prerequisite for the job. :lol: