House Price Crash Forum

Claims That 80% Of Hbos Mortgages Had No Proof Of Income

HOLA441
This doens't even come close to NINJA, this is far far worse.

Yes HBOS have clearly been Kung-Fu fighting, though the FSA and BoE have hardly been fast as lightning.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
that sort of logic will get you a job with the FSA

if someone buys a 100k house with 70k borrowing and their income is 10k, it is very unlikely that they can service the loan or repay it - irrespective of the fact that there are more buyers for the 100k house as opposed to the 10m one

Thanks for the vote of confidence. The bank main concern is security of the loan. If they are happy that the house is worth £100k, the person has stated that they earn a suffient amount to service that level of debt, and the credit history shows that they have a good repayment history, then chances are that they will be able to service the mortgage. Given that anyone can lose their job at any time anyway, verifying income does not mitigate all risk.

In the limited number of cases where the borrower lied, the house would be able to be sold and the lender recover the outstanding amount, or at least most of it. The bigger issue is where you have people being encouraged and assited to lie by morgage brokers etc, and where income is not verified on high loan to value mortgages (which arguably are a bigger problem in themselves), which I am sure happened a lot. All I was doing was citing a fairly common situation where it would not be as important to verify the level of income.

HOLA443
HOLA444
Morons, the lot of them.

How on earth was this ever viewed as being acceptable.... and more importantly why is it that the rest of us are being expected to bail these people (the banks and the mortgage holders).

You might wish to spare a thought for Lloyds investors, th epatsies par excellence of this credit crunch. One second they were riding high as the bank best placed to capitalise on the aftermath, next second Pesto had blogged out the fait accompli, signed sealed and delivered by messers Brown, Blank, Daniels and a host of so called 'fund managers'.

Now, after having their shares collapsed in value, their dividends stolen, their chances of independence from thestae compromised and all hope of vulture status obliterated, they are now told by King that even the so called market dominant position is not acceptable ("any bank too big to fail is too big").

I wait with baited breath for the first lawsuit. My god, how much longer?

Edited by Sledgehead

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
lets say i have 3 million

i buy a house for 10 million

should anyone check whether my income is such that i can afford the repayments on the 7 million loan

Rather than a hypothetical question I'll give you a real one with 100% hard data rather than media quotes or speculation.

The question is : Am I sub-prime?

The facts are : On the one hand:

I have a LTV of less than 1, a good credit score, and circa 80% equity, over 90% if you count the savings in the offset account. (Admittedly the equity is dropping as the HPC proceeds apace ;) ). The mortgage is less than 70% of my income. I've worked for my employer for over 25 years and we are, mid-recession, making over 10% profits - so my job can reasonably be considered to be more safe than many.

One the other hand:

I threw a hissy fit at the length of time spent organising my mortgage. I refused to give the lender any more info and asked them whether they wanted to lend me the money or not. They did, so my income was not checked.

I suggest that it is reasonable to subtract people like me from the total rather than simply making forecasts based on the "unchecked = sub-prime" assumption.

Whats the alternative? If I am sub-prime you are pretty much saying 100% of mortgages are sub-prime - mithering about where income was not checked becomes an irrelevance.

HOLA448
Thanks for the vote of confidence. The bank main concern is security of the loan. If they are happy that the house is worth £100k, the person has stated that they earn a suffient amount to service that level of debt, and the credit history shows that they have a good repayment history, then chances are that they will be able to service the mortgage. Given that anyone can lose their job at any time anyway, verifying income does not mitigate all risk.

In the limited number of cases where the borrower lied, the house would be able to be sold and the lender recover the outstanding amount, or at least most of it. The bigger issue is where you have people being encouraged and assited to lie by morgage brokers etc, and where income is not verified on high loan to value mortgages (which arguably are a bigger problem in themselves), which I am sure happened a lot. All I was doing was citing a fairly common situation where it would not be as important to verify the level of income.

The problem was that the banks didn't check incomes and so they were unable to tell the difference between good borrowers like yourself and the high risk liar loans. If they had bothered to check applications correctly then liar loans could not of existed, and no one would of ever of heard of Mr Pebble.

Edited by OldGreg

HOLA449

That in fact is a very reasonable attitude, so long as prices go up.

HOLA4410
Liar Loan heaven

http://www.moneymarketing.co.uk/cgi-bin/it...h=341&f=342

Former HBOS mortgage chief Michael Bolton has claimed that up to 80 per cent of mortgages lent by the group before the credit crunch were accep- ted without proof of income.

10000% True

I work with a young Indian Guy who purchased a property 6 weeks ago - mortgage approved by HBOS

I asked him how he managed to get a mortgage when he is a contractor and has only been in his role for 3 months

His reply: They didnt ask to see his paychecks

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
You might wish to spare a thought for Lloyds investors, th epatsies par excellence of this credit crunch. One second they were riding high as the bank best placed to capitalise on the aftermath, next second Pesto had blogged out the fait accompli, signed sealed and delivered by messers Brown, Blank, Daniels and a host of so called 'fund managers'.

Now, after having their shares collapsed in value, their dividends stolen, their chances of independence from thestae compromised and all hope of vulture status obliterated, they are now told by King that even the so called market dominant position is not acceptable ("any bank too big to fail is too big").

I wait with baited breath for the first lawsuit. My god, how much longer?

Lloyds shareholders? Sorry for them? like f*** I am.

They took the risk, they chose the Lloyds management. Their responsibility, their loss. No-one forced them to buy the shares.

HOLA4413

in 1996, when I applied for my first mortgage from the Halifax, I had to take two years of payslips with me. As I was a Registrar and therefore considered to be a doctor in training I had to provide the details of the training scheme organiser so that she could be written to as the Halifax wish to enquire about my prospects. I had a 25% deposit for my house purchase.

Lending is about the three Cs: capacity to repay, collateral (deposit) and character. Any bank or building society that forget these simple principles will eventually be in serious trouble, as we taxpayers are now finding out.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Rather than a hypothetical question I'll give you a real one with 100% hard data rather than media quotes or speculation.

The question is : Am I sub-prime?

The facts are : On the one hand:

I have a LTV of less than 1, a good credit score, and circa 80% equity, over 90% if you count the savings in the offset account. (Admittedly the equity is dropping as the HPC proceeds apace ;) ). The mortgage is less than 70% of my income. I've worked for my employer for over 25 years and we are, mid-recession, making over 10% profits - so my job can reasonably be considered to be more safe than many.

One the other hand:

I threw a hissy fit at the length of time spent organising my mortgage. I refused to give the lender any more info and asked them whether they wanted to lend me the money or not. They did, so my income was not checked.

I suggest that it is reasonable to subtract people like me from the total rather than simply making forecasts based on the "unchecked = sub-prime" assumption.

Whats the alternative? If I am sub-prime you are pretty much saying 100% of mortgages are sub-prime - mithering about where income was not checked becomes an irrelevance.

no i dont think you are sub prime

should they check your income to see that you can service the loan - yes i would if i was lending you the money regardless of whether i thought i had good security on the asset. I want to be happy that i am unlikely to need to resort to reposession.

HOLA4416
I'll be honest with you, I love his music. I do. I'm a Michael Bolton fan. For my money, I don't know if it gets any better than when he sings "When a Man Loves a Woman".

;)

I'd just like to make it clear that this is a quote from a movie, not what I personally think about Michael Bolton...... :unsure::(

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Office_Space

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Well well, this is no surprise to me at all! My bitch ex bragged to me how she got her mortgage - before I met her - from Halifax even though she was a temp at the time earning 12k a year...70k mortgage? They didn't ask to see any proof of income!

Now she's sitting in huge negative equity in a street where similar properties are being repossessed one by one!

And I was supposed to be jealous?

HOLA4419

Holy shit!! 80%! I wonder how many billions of £'s that would translate to.

This whole thing becomes worse and worse as time goes on. It's like an ocean of fraud and criminal activity that gets bigger and bigger. Once you step back and look at it as a whole you go Hooooooooooooly Sheeeeeeeeeeeeet!!

The biggest fraud of all time.

HOLA4420
Holy shit!! 80%! I wonder how many billions of £'s that would translate to.

This whole thing becomes worse and worse as time goes on. It's like an ocean of fraud and criminal activity that gets bigger and bigger. Once you step back and look at it as a whole you go Hooooooooooooly Sheeeeeeeeeeeeet!!

The biggest fraud of all time.

It's one huge Ponzi Scheme, which has affected anyone. Even the honest people have been suckered because you've overpaid for you home because of scum like this lying. If they didn't lie house prices wouldn't have got out of hand as no one would have been able to afford it.

However too many people got caught up in the property frenzy and mania took hold which completely distorted the market and now looks like dragging us all down.

HOLA4421
Lending is about the three Cs: capacity to repay, collateral (deposit) and character. Any bank or building society that forget these simple principles will eventually be in serious trouble, as we taxpayers are now finding out.

Indeed.

It seems mad that they slipped away from this so easily...

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Indeed.

It seems mad that they slipped away from this so easily...

But you are forgetting one thing. They only did this because they ASSUMED that house prices would only go up. Think about it, the banks win either way. For example, take one of these HBOS liar loans, HBOS makes the mortgage, then sells it to some other sucker. However, they were also buying these crappy loans from other people as well as keeping some of theirs on their books. Therefore, if house prices go up and for whatever reason someone's house is repossessed, the bank then sells that house AT A PROFIT, even if the house price remains flat, the bank still makes a profit as they have the proceeds of the sale AND AT LEAST A one months mortgage payments.

Now, when house prices go down, the shit hits the fan. However, the banks STILL don't lose as we have to bail them out. They never lose.

It's a huge scam.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425