House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

co2_is-not_man_made

Music Licence In The Work Place

just had a bill come across my desk for £159.

Why, because someone called our offices to ask how many radios we have, they were told two and a bill is sent from the performing rights society for a music licence that is apparently required to be paid by any business that has a radio on.

We stated we had a tv licence but that doesnt matter , 14 days to pay or a £1000 fine.

FFS , i tell you everything in this country is a fecking con , all devised to extract as much money out of people as it can !!!!!

Guest Skinty

Why, because someone called our offices to ask how many radios we have, they were told two and a bill is sent from the performing rights society for a music licence that is apparently required to be paid by any business that has a radio on.

We stated we had a tv licence but that doesnt matter , 14 days to pay or a £1000 fine.

FFS , i tell you everything in this country is a fecking con , all devised to extract as much money out of people as it can !!!!!

Do you know for sure that this isn't a con artist at work hoping that you will pay up without question?

Got any pictures hanging on the wall - maybe you should pay a tax for those as well.

A 'titty tax'

Donate the equipment here. I'm sure he could do a "special" video for you. Some English Chinese tax shit would go down well I'm sure.

tell them you only listen to TALK RADIO... hence NO MUSIC... ?

Copyright licences are not taxes, and the money doesn't go to the govt - it supposedly goes to recording artists.

Not sure how that works if you're only listening to talk radio, though.

http://www.prsformusic.com/Pages/Fraudulen...terwarning.aspx

We have been made aware that some private residences have been contacted fraudulently by people claiming to be from PRS and that failure to submit a licence application may result in prosecution and a fine of up to £1000 – we would never threaten customers like this.

If you are in any way concerned about the contact you receive, please contact customer services on 0845 309 3090, we will confirm whether the contact is from PRS for Music.

Edit, just to be clear, you DO have to ahve a PRS licence, just make sure you are paying it to the right people!

This licence has been required for many years. Pubs have to pay it too and the amount goes up if you have karaoke or a jukebox.

Oh good grief!

It's not a tax and it's not stealthy and it's not a quango.

Otherwise spot on.

And black is white up is down.

Good double think.

tax  [taks] Show IPA

–noun

1. a sum of money demanded by a government for its support or for specific facilities or services, levied upon incomes, property, sales, etc.

2. a burdensome charge, obligation, duty, or demand.

quan⋅go  [kwang-goh] Show IPA

–noun, plural -gos.

(esp. in Great Britain)

An organization or agency that is financed by a government directly or government backed fines and levies but that acts independently of it.

Tell them you are ditching the radios and allowing staff to buy their own headphone radios - I remember they cost £15 ten years back.

Staff listening to their own radios don't need a license.

http://www.prsformusic.com/Pages/Fraudulen...terwarning.aspx

Fraudulent letter warning

We have been made aware that some private residences have been contacted fraudulently by people claiming to be from PRS and that failure to submit a licence application may result in prosecution and a fine of up to £1000 – we would never threaten customers like this.

If you are in any way concerned about the contact you receive, please contact customer services on 0845 309 3090, we will confirm whether the contact is from PRS for Music.

See our FAQ to verify PRS for Music processes on payments, credit cards and access to premises

http://www.prsformusic.com/Pages/whistling.aspx

It has not been widely publicised, but as of April 1st 2009, it will be necessary for anyone

whistling in a public place to pay the standardised performance fee, as prioritised, to

the relevant body for re-distribution to performance artists and writers, for all tunes whistled.

Failure to do so could result in an unlimited fine and a compulsory attendance at a Rolf

Harris concert.

Kwikfit motors vs the performing rights society.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/2007/10/08/you-can...wik-fit-fitter/

But look at this comment on that page:

I had a run-in with the PRS a few years ago over performances of folk music. I ran a small ‘festival’ in our village (i.e. got two pubs and the village hall to stage events in the same weekend) and was targeted by the PRS as a ‘festival organiser’ who, in their books, was liable for payments above and beyond the PRS licenses that the pubs already had. The problem was that most of the music peformed was either traditional (with no identified composer) or original material performed by singer-songwriters.

It transpired that if I stood up in a pub and sang ‘Wild Rover’, someone would have to pay money to the PRS even though no-one knows who wrote the song. They would see my ‘arrangement’ of the song as my own composition. The fact that I am not registered with the PRS to receive any benefits from my ‘arrangement’ being performed in public cuts no ice. They still want the money.

It’s a different issue from the Kwik Fit example but the conclusion is the same – a system that commodifies the act of listening to music cannot be reduced to a simple royalty payment. To attempt to enforce such a system creates unfair anomolies as well as a bureaucratic nightmare.

YOU CANT PLAY, SING OR WHISTLE ANYTHING IN A PUBLIC PLACE WITHOUT PAYING!

It sounds like a con. If you have their address send them a turd in a jiffy bag

It transpired that if I stood up in a pub and sang ‘Wild Rover’, someone would have to pay money to the PRS even though no-one knows who wrote the song.

YOU CANT PLAY, SING OR WHISTLE ANYTHING IN A PUBLIC PLACE WITHOUT PAYING!

Not true, However PRS pretend it is. You don't have to pay them anything. IF you dont pay and IF you play or perform music whose copyright has been assigned by the holder to PRS as their agent, THEN PRS can sue you for damages. That's all.

Easy to avoid legally: talk radio, trad singing or tunes, own composition, or with the permission of a non-PRS member who owns the rights.

Most musicians & composers get virtually nothing from the PRS.

Copyright licences are not taxes, and the money doesn't go to the govt - it supposedly goes to recording artists.

If you're compelled by law to pay a fee in order to own and use a radio, blank tape or hard disk drive (regardless of whether the item will be used to access or store copyright material) that's not a copyright licence, it has more in common with a hypothecated tax.

This has been the law for many years. You have to have a licence to play music in a public place.

It sounds like a con. If you have their address send them a turd in a jiffy bag

OP list the address, I have a few jiffy bags that I am willing to fill for them on your behalf ;)