House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OnlyMe

Food - Caryover Stocks Second Lowest On Record

The debt driven growth model is a train wreck on all fronts. Misallocation of artificial money and resources on a grand scale never seen before.

Back to basics whilst it is still possible, the bankers don't want it that way, so it will have to be forced in on the economy in other ways.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2009/06/...d/bourne-text/2

Last year the skyrocketing cost of food was a wake-up call for the planet. Between 2005 and the summer of 2008, the price of wheat and corn tripled, and the price of rice climbed fivefold, spurring food riots in nearly two dozen countries and pushing 75 million more people into poverty. But unlike previous shocks driven by short-term food shortages, this price spike came in a year when the world's farmers reaped a record grain crop. This time, the high prices were a symptom of a larger problem tugging at the strands of our worldwide food web, one that's not going away anytime soon. Simply put: For most of the past decade, the world has been consuming more food than it has been producing. After years of drawing down stockpiles, in 2007 the world saw global carryover stocks fall to 61 days of global consumption, the second lowest on record.

So what is a hot, crowded, and hungry world to do?

I think we finally found a use for John Prescott.

Bags I get his left leg.

Guest anorthosite

61 days? I've got more than that stashed away.

I think the HPC tin foil hat brigade has been buying a few too many cans of beans :o

How about this for a thought

I was in the supermarket and they had a sale for tinned tuna.

I though my goodness tuna is getting more expensive I will by ten of these.

I then thought to myself why do I have money in the bank at 1-3% when the price of Tuna is going up by more? A day does not go by without some we are fishing the seas to extinction item on the news.

If you have billions why not speculate on food (I know it goes bad) you not getting a return on cash.

Another moral hazard of low rates.

61 days? I've got more than that stashed away.

I think the HPC tin foil hat brigade has been buying a few too many cans of beans :o

Looked at baked beans futures, recently ?

They're just blowing away.

How about this for a thought

I was in the supermarket and they had a sale for tinned tuna.

I though my goodness tuna is getting more expensive I will by ten of these.

I then thought to myself why do I have money in the bank at 1-3% when the price of Tuna is going up by more?

Great minds think alike....

'Mrs Thatcher's food store to beat inflation':

http://www.margaretthatcher.org/speeches/d...sp?docid=101831

Mrs Thatcher, Conservative spokesman on economic affairs, is beating inflation in food prices by stocking up with tins of ham, tongue and sardines. In a taped interview to be published tomorrow in Pre Retirement Choice, Mrs Thatcher says she has been doing it for some time.

"People tend to think of storage these days in terms of deep freezing, but fresh meat won't keep in a deep freeze for more than a year," she said.

"Tinned food on the other hand will keep for five, 10 and 15 years. What you collect are the expensive proteins: ham, tongue, salmon, mackerel, sardines."