House Price Crash Forum
MOP

Junior Treasury Minister Kitty Ussher Resigns From The Government

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Politics/...mbarrass_The_PM

Her decision to step down follows allegations over her claims for parliamentary expenses.

In a letter to the Prime Minister, the Burnley MP said she had not abused the expenses system, but did not want to cause "any embarrassment" to him or his Government.

The Daily Telegraph reported last month that within months of being elected in 2005, Ms Ussher asked the Commons authorities to fund extensive refurbishment of her Victorian family home in South London, including the removal of a "bad taste" Artex ceiling.

Further revelations about Ms Ussher's expenses are expected to be published in Thursday's Daily Telegraph.

Ms Ussher was moved to the post of Exchequer Secretary to the Treasury just 12 days ago in Mr Brown's most recent reshuffle.

She had previously served in a more junior role at the Treasury before spending nine months at the Department for Work and Pensions.

Downing Street announced that Portsmouth North MP Sarah McCarthy-Fry was being moved to the Treasury to replace Ms Ussher.

MsMcCarthy-Fry has only been in her current job at the Department for Communities and Local Government for less than a fortnight.

She was given responsibility for local democracy and council finance in the recent reshuffle.

A No 10 spokesman said: "The Prime Minister has accepted the resignation of Kitty Ussher.

"Sarah McCarthy-Fry has been appointed as her replacement. A successor to Ms McCarthy-Fry will be announced in due course."

More follows...

In a letter to the Prime Minister, the Burnley MP said she had not abused the expenses system, but did not want to cause "any embarrassment" to him or his Government.

Is the bit where she says that Browns doing enough of that already omitted.

Guest UK Debt Slave
It's like a bad dose of diarrhoea, just when you think you've had the last of the disgusting stuff, a little more sh*te trickles out.

Absolutely poetic :lol:

http://www.kittyussher.com/biog.html

Who is Kitty?

An economist by training, Kitty previously worked as political adviser to Patricia Hewitt at the Department for Trade and Industry where she helped to write the government’s first ever manufacturing strategy, as well as working on policies to promote renewable energy, and make world trade rules fairer for developing countries. In her first year as MP she put forward her own Ten Minute Rule Bill to help small businesses get contracts from the Government to develop new technology.

Kitty currently serves as Parliamentary under Secretary at the Department of Work and Pensions in Gordon Brown's Government. She has a wide range of responsibilities including reform of benefits such as housing benefit, the social fund, and reform of the CSA.

Kitty previously served as Economic Secretary to the Treasury, from 2007 - 2008, working on the Government's response to the financial crisis. She also spearheaded crucial reforms to co-operatives and credit unions. She is the first MP for Burnley to become a Minister since the 1920s, and the town's first female MP.

Kitty is also a proud member of Unite (Amicus section) trade union. In her spare time Kitty enjoys hill walking and spending time with her family. She is also a keen supporter of Burnley Football Club and attends matches regularly, being a season ticket holder.

Prior to becoming a Member of Parliament, Kitty was the Chief Economist on the cross-party pro-European campaign group, Britain in Europe, and has also served as a local councillor where she chaired the finance and environment scrutiny committees.

kitty-usher-220_1399882f.jpg

Wow and Sarah McCarthy Fry takes over - she only spent one week as local govt finance and business rates minister and has helped get through the Business Supplement Bill which will place even higher business rates burdens on businesses from next April. Lucky escape there Sarah from dealing with council finances.

PS Didn't Darling do a bit of flipping :lol:

Guest UK Debt Slave

Who is Kitty?

An economist by training

Well, that's a dead giveaway. She obviously knows fekkn ZILCH about economics!

Kitty previously worked as political adviser to Patricia Hewitt at the Department for Trade and Industry

Even WORSE! She worked for that horse faced, condescending patronising bitch Patricia 'Punch me in the face repeatedly' Spewitt

where she helped to write the government’s first ever manufacturing strategy

Well excuse me while I laugh my lungs out all over my monitor

Kitty previously served as Economic Secretary to the Treasury, from 2007 - 2008, working on the Government's response to the financial crisis.

WHAT response????

Oh yes.......LYING PROFUSELY ;)

In her spare time Kitty enjoys hill walking

Hope she eyes in the back of her head then. Hill walking is a very dangerous occupation if you upset this government.

Prior to becoming a Member of Parliament, Kitty was the Chief Economist on the cross-party pro-European campaign group, Britain in Europe, and has also served as a local councillor where she chaired the finance and environment scrutiny committees.

All round useless, backstabbing, connaiving, thieving scumbag then

Quelle surprise?

Guest UK Debt Slave
Wow and Sarah McCarthy Fry takes over - she only spent one week as local govt finance and business rates minister and has helped get through the Business Supplement Bill which will place even higher business rates burdens on businesses from next April. Lucky escape there Sarah from dealing with council finances.

PS Didn't Darling do a bit of flipping :lol:

Even higher business rates?????????????

Surely, that's impossible :lol:

Kitty did the old trick of switching your second home to your first, so that you don't have to pay CGT on profits on the sale.

There are thousands of BTL scumlords who have done just this, why doesn't the Inland Revenue go after the lot of them?

To add embarrasment, she was also the Labour person on the so-called MPs' Panel on R4's The Westminster Hour on Sunday evenings, i.e. the party were trying to portray her as your sensible, average, down-to-earth backbencher. Mind you, Ed Vaizey was her Tory counterpart and he was caught with his snout in the trough too. Strangely, the MPs' panel slot was drastically shortened and downplayed after the expenses' scandal broke.

Total hoon, treasury minister and all, foxes guarding the hen house.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...s-expenses.html

Telegraph.co.uk can disclose that Miss Ussher told the tax authorities that her Burnley home was her “principal residence†for a single month in 2007, enabling her to avoid capital gains tax.

According to a letter from her accountants, Miss Ussher had previously told HM Revenue & Customs that a house in south London was her principal residence.

The minister resigned tonight after she was confronted with the allegations by The Daily Telegraph. She also announced she would stand down as an MP at the next election.

Am I the only one who is beginning to feel that the public mood is starting to go beyond what is justified?

The allegation here is tax avoidance, not evasion, which means:

1. It's legal

2. It's something I do myself (made capital gains on my gold stash this year, so I sold just enough to make a gain below the capital gains tax threshold)

I can't help remembering the famous legal judgement of Lord Tomlin in 1936 that "every man is entitled if he can to order his affairs so as that the tax attaching under the appropriate acts is less than it otherwise would beâ€

Is it really a resigning matter?

Total hoon, treasury minister and all, foxes guarding the hen house.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...s-expenses.html

Telegraph.co.uk can disclose that Miss Ussher told the tax authorities that her Burnley home was her “principal residence†for a single month in 2007, enabling her to avoid capital gains tax.

According to a letter from her accountants, Miss Ussher had previously told HM Revenue & Customs that a house in south London was her principal residence.

The minister resigned tonight after she was confronted with the allegations by The Daily Telegraph. She also announced she would stand down as an MP at the next election.

Fvck off corrupt b1tch, if there was any justice in this country she should be in prison for treason.

Kitty did the old trick of switching your second home to your first, so that you don't have to pay CGT on profits on the sale.

There are thousands of BTL scumlords who have done just this, why doesn't the Inland Revenue go after the lot of them?

Because it is a perfectly legal thing to do.

Good riddance to more bad rubbish..

Another career politician who has never had a proper job in her life outside carrying bags for other politicians and think-tank work (more bag carrying) following the drearily predictable PPE degree.

"And nothing of value was lost".

Am I the only one who is beginning to feel that the public mood is starting to go beyond what is justified?

The allegation here is tax avoidance, not evasion, which means:

1. It's legal

2. It's something I do myself (made capital gains on my gold stash this year, so I sold just enough to make a gain below the capital gains tax threshold)

I can't help remembering the famous legal judgement of Lord Tomlin in 1936 that "every man is entitled if he can to order his affairs so as that the tax attaching under the appropriate acts is less than it otherwise would beâ€

Is it really a resigning matter?

I think when you stand for public office it's expected for one to behave in an exemplary fashion, avoiding tax to profit from the public purse would hardly fit the bill would it?

Kitty likes cakes.

Kitty likes to count things and do sums.

Kitty has a friend called Gordon Brown that works in an office.

Kitty likes to take walks in the park and also in the hills and mountains.

Kitty swallows.

Burnly MP, hohoho, sounds like a few more votes to the bnp eh ?

Labour. You only have yourselves to blame.