House Price Crash Forum

Green Shoots Dead?

HOLA441
HOLA442
I almost posted something on Monday to say I thought things would start turning bearish. Seems to be the case, haven't heard much ramping, spin or green shoot talk this week

Very noticeable. A stark contrast compared to the Bull barrage of recent weeks.

The Bears are back in town. :ph34r:

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Yep the 'green shoots period' is over , everything is now in place for the next leg down in house prices which will be led by unemployment , repossesions , higher mortgage rates , failure of amateur developers and BTL which will all make for negative and bearish sentiment which will in turn force house prices down ......... :)

HOLA446
I almost posted something on Monday to say I thought things would start turning bearish. Seems to be the case, haven't heard much ramping, spin or green shoot talk this week

Unless the bears are right, and all the bulls really are bored EA's......

In which case them being too busy to post all day should worry you a lot......

:lol:

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Things are bad, but wait until you see interest rates go up.

The current economy is unrecoverable; it will need to be restructered into a production economy not dependant on credit expansion!

We will see the bulls :lol: being replaced by :o when TS really HTF!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
In which case them being too busy to post all day should worry you a lot......

Well, the bulls have been posting for most of the afternoon - I have seen most of you here at various points. Looks like you are all twiddling your thumbs? So you are either - unemployed, MP's or Estate Agents? :lol:

HOLA4412

Blanchflower on the recovery...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/finance...lour-blind.html

Over the past few weeks, there has been much talk of "green shoots", even of the recession having come to an end. But while recent evidence suggests that things around the world may indeed be getting better, there is plenty of cause for caution.

Of course, there have been less cautious voices. The National Institute of Economic and Social Research (NIESR) has even suggested that the recession is over. Mind you, less than a year ago, it was predicting that the UK economy would "escape recession", forecasting positive economic growth in both 2008 and 2009. It got it wrong then and there is no reason to believe it has got it right now.

The news from the housing market is also bad. The Bank of England made clear in its quarterly bulletin this week that more than a million households are in negative equity, and that number is set to rise significantly. An analysis based on the ratio of house prices to earnings suggests that house prices still have a long way to drop – probably another 15 per cent or so.

That combination of increasing unemployment and further rises in negative equity is worrying, not least for the banks holding the mortgages. It also remains uncertain whether the banking system can lend enough to fuel the recovery, especially when many institutions have withdrawn from the market.

In other words, we are faced with a toxic cocktail: sliding house prices, rising negative equity, inadequate levels of credit; soaring unemployment and zero, or even negative, wage growth. In such circumstances, it is almost academic to try to pinpoint whether economic growth is returning. The simple fact remains that we have yet to realise just how painful the coming years are likely to be. Green shoots? I think not.

HOLA4413

The media have a new theme now. They managed denial for 6 months, then carnage for 6 more, we've just had 6 weeks of green shoots, the new meme is now perhaps this confidence was premature.

HOLA4414