House Price Crash Forum

I was called into a meeting on Monday, by e-mail and informed that my job was on the at risk list...

The thing is I work in the defence industry and in discussions with my team leader today it turns out that much of the work expected from the MOD has been delayed or cancelled in response to the treasury cutting back. Why? Because they have given all the dosh to the banks... :angry:

It is a bit of a shock to be told that after 20 years you are surplus to requirements :(

Thinking about it Fred the Shred's pension is probably the value of the annual saleries of the 400 people likely to loose their jobs. And that idiot Darling says there is no need to strength the regulations.

The leadership of this country both political and industrial has been awful since WW2. Our once great nation, home of the industrial revolution, and countless inventions has been reduced to a hollowed out shell. It is about time they were held to account. Politicians need to understand that they serve us the people. Company bosses, particularly PLC's need to be held to account by their shareholders, particularly when those shareholders are our pension funds. What is the point of a ension fund if you loose your job 20 years before retirement...

Edit: Sorry it's a bit of a ramble / rant but I am really pi**ed off (and that is the first time I have ever f**king swarn on here.)

Edited by FTBagain

Sorry to here this.

I have been given the chop aswell which was a total suprise to be honest. I was just at the end of typing a long post on here when I was called into the office, thought I was being told off. Then having to just turn everything off and go home, really sudden, it's a similar feeling to a death of someone you know...but not so bad.

I'm seeing it as a good thing. I've totaly had enough of working for large corporations I find it soul destroying and after 2 weeks at home I can feel my real self emerging again.

Found out today that about 30 other people have been given the chop too. I think the company is in quite abit of trouble that is still a secret to the staff. It's a FTSE 100 company too and no I'm not say who.

Best of luck.

The govt is in serious trouble despite all the spin about that they won't be cutting spending in reality they already are.

We have run out of money and the liars in govt know it.

Unfortunately many people in jobs which where once thought safe will find themselves redundant. I just hope that I don't get unlucky and keeping your job in this climate has more to do with luck than anything else.

I was called into a meeting on Monday, by e-mail and informed that my job was on the at risk list...

The thing is I work in the defence industry and in discussions with my team leader today it turns out that much of the work expected from the MOD has been delayed or cancelled in response to the treasury cutting back. Why? Because they have given all the dosh to the banks... :angry:

It is a bit of a shock to be told that after 20 years you are surplus to requirements :(

Thinking about it Fred the Shred's pension is probably the value of the annual saleries of the 400 people likely to loose their jobs. And that idiot Darling says there is no need to strength the regulations.

The leadership of this country both political and industrial has been awful since WW2. Our once great nation, home of the industrial revolution, and countless inventions has been reduced to a hollowed out shell. It is about time they were held to account. Politicians need to understand that they serve us the people. Company bosses, particularly PLC's need to be held to account by their shareholders, particularly when those shareholders are our pension funds. What is the point of a ension fund if you loose your job 20 years before retirement...

Edit: Sorry it's a bit of a ramble / rant but I am really pi**ed off (and that is the first time I have ever f**king swarn on here.)

Can't someone knock together an anti tank copper jet missile and hit Fred the Shred?

Edited by mikelivingstone

You have every right to be - good luck with whatever happens.

you should totally start up in business yourself. you can start off by selling awnsers online, call your site, defence questions awnsered .co.uk and then russians could ask you hypothetical questions about bombs and missiles etc and you could awnser them so they can improve their home work etc.

then you could start making the sorts of things you have experience in making. and sell them through paypal.

i have a pal that used to make nucluer submarines now he makes them himself and sells them online.

Sorry to here this.

I have been given the chop aswell which was a total suprise to be honest. I was just at the end of typing a long post on here when I was called into the office, thought I was being told off. Then having to just turn everything off and go home, really sudden, it's a similar feeling to a death of someone you know...but not so bad.

I'm seeing it as a good thing. I've totaly had enough of working for large corporations I find it soul destroying and after 2 weeks at home I can feel my real self emerging again.

Found out today that about 30 other people have been given the chop too. I think the company is in quite abit of trouble that is still a secret to the staff. It's a FTSE 100 company too and no I'm not say who.

Best of luck.

Go on, tell us... They just fired you, you owe them nothing.

you should totally start up in business yourself. you can start off by selling awnsers online, call your site, defence questions awnsered .co.uk and then russians could ask you hypothetical questions about bombs and missiles etc and you could awnser them so they can improve their home work etc.

then you could start making the sorts of things you have experience in making. and sell them through paypal.

i have a pal that used to make nucluer submarines now he makes them himself and sells them online.

Just one teeny-weeny little problem here

tim

From what you told us, you have the right to rant.

Guest มร หล&#3

Top funny post!

OP,

Fear not. You will find out who you are again. I finished working for the big firms when I was only 27. Self-employed since then, now 34. Only out of work when I choose to be.

Spent today working on a design for a new waste treatment centre, in between which I was researching organic fertilisers for the farm since a 50kgs bag of NPK has shot up from 400 Baht about 2 years ago to 1200 Baht now! Didn't know chicken shit was way better than cow shit for nitrogen content.

Top funny post!

OP,

Fear not. You will find out who you are again. I finished working for the big firms when I was only 27. Self-employed since then, now 34. Only out of work when I choose to be.

Spent today working on a design for a new waste treatment centre, in between which I was researching organic fertilisers for the farm since a 50kgs bag of NPK has shot up from 400 Baht about 2 years ago to 1200 Baht now! Didn't know chicken shit was way better than cow shit for nitrogen content.

The Incas held that birds muck (for potato growing) and gold were the two greatest gifts from the Gods. The billion pound Guano Industry made a lot of millionaires in the 19th C.

Guest มร หล&#3
The Incas held that birds muck (for potato growing) and gold were the two greatest gifts from the Gods. The billion pound Guano Industry made a lot of millionaires in the 19th C.

1.1% nitrogen in chicken poo. Only 0.6% in cow poo.

NPK Values of Animal Manures Cow Manure Pig Manure Chicken Manure

N Nitrogen % 0.6 0.8 1.1

P Phosphorus % 0.4 0.7 0.8

K Potassium 0.5 0.5 0.5

Dry matter corrected . . .

Kee vuar (Cows) = 30KG N : 20KG P : 25KG K...per ton

Kee moo (pigs) = 40KG N : 35KG P : 30KG K...per ton

Kee Ghai (chicken-Layer) = 59KG N : 40KG P : 25KG K...per ton

European spuds do not grow here unfortunately, it's the heat.

Edited by มร หลบเลี่ยง

1.1% nitrogen in chicken poo. Only 0.6% in cow poo.

NPK Values of Animal Manures Cow Manure Pig Manure Chicken Manure

N Nitrogen % 0.6 0.8 1.1

P Phosphorus % 0.4 0.7 0.8

K Potassium 0.5 0.5 0.5

Dry matter corrected . . .

Kee vuar (Cows) = 30KG N : 20KG P : 25KG K...per ton

Kee moo (pigs) = 40KG N : 35KG P : 30KG K...per ton

Kee Ghai (chicken-Layer) = 59KG N : 40KG P : 25KG K...per ton

European spuds do not grow here unfortunately, it's the heat.

Meanwhile, here in the thirdworld, Kurt Barlow and I (he lives in the same county) use horseshit which we can get for free. In my case it's already bagged up and I can bung a few sacks in the back of the van on the way home from work.

The soil here is pretty fertile but sweetcorn grown over a 2 foot trench of horse shit is something else.

Do you mean to say that you have to pay for chemical fertilisers? Sounds incredibly expensive.

I have to admit I'm a big fan of trench gardening, it's hard work but once done will create fertile soil that will remain fertile for a good many years.(I guess!)

its really sad, that's the same feeling i have when they told me my job was not neccessary, but for the last four years I am one of the busiest and most sought after in the office.... i know how it feel so dont feel sorry for the "rant", there are hundred thousands out there same as our experience. :(

Guys,

Many thanks for your supportive and humerous posts. Much appreciated.

Sorry to here this.

Best of luck.

Hired Goon

Sounds like a shocking experience. In my case I have a madatory 90 days consultancy period, because of the numbers involved. The options are basically redeployment (providing skills match need) or redundancy. There is a vanishingly small possibility that something may come in that saves the day, but I ain't holding my breadth. It is quite surreal in many respects. I was at a project meeting with reps from the consortia companies today. They were all talking about the next phase of the project etc. I was chipping in with ideas but kept thinking, "I won't be here to see this happen!" May be if I can come up with enough good ideas I could get a job with one of them... Bit of a long shot, but hope springs iternal... Monday was another surreal experience. Some of us were told at the morning meeting, but some others who were affected were not around so didn't know, plus those who were unaffected were in the dark, utterly unaware that half the people in the office had just been told they were "at risk". We were told quite bluntly not to discuss it in front of the others until all formal communications had been completed. Fair enough really, especially for those "at risk" who had not been informed, but all the same I was out of there as soon as looked reasonable...

I understand what you mean about the grief thing. I went on to a website that the company provides that has lots of useful stuff on it. They went into the emotional cycle associated with redundency and /or the prospect of same. Grief and shock were the first emotions they described and your words chimed. Shock is , I guess, where I am. Wake up in the morning feeling good for a second or two then I remember my situation and I get that cold knot in the pit of my stomach you get when you miss your footing at the top of the stairs... It's not nice thinking I'm about to let my family down, even if it is not my fault. On the other side of the coin I have felt in a bit of a rut lately so may be this is happening for a reason. I am going to start to come up with some options, plans and actions over the weekend. Hopefully that will help to create something good. You do hear of some people, once they get past the inital trauma, moving onto something better and saying it was the best thing to happen to them. It is a possitive way to look at it away.

I sincerely wish you all the best.

50%deposit...

Funny post, thanks. Made me laugh this morning in the office (couldn't reply then) and again this evening. I can see one small problem with your otherwise top plan. 20 years in Prison... Hmm I'll get out just time to collect me pension :lol:

At the end of the day the little guy gets shafted while the guys at the top line their pockets. Come the revolution... Funny thing was I heard on the news this morning that Fred the Shred was going to give some of the 16 mil back. Didn't say how much though.

mikelivingstone, The "anti tank copper jet missile" probably should wait until he's paid the b***dy money back. But I like your thinking. The RAF's Brimstone missile is designed to attack tanks, I wonder if it is possible to modify it into an ABHM (Anti Banker Homing Missile) :lol:

Thanks again guys, if you are interested I'll let you know how I get on. Good luck to us all, we need it, Green Shoots my A**SE.

:lol: :angry: :blink:;):(:o:ph34r: ... its called an emotional roller coaster

Edited by FTBagain

its really sad, that's the same feeling i have when they told me my job was not neccessary, but for the last four years I am one of the busiest and most sought after in the office.... i know how it feel so dont feel sorry for the "rant", there are hundred thousands out there same as our experience. :(

Yeah, every one of us should prepare for the possibility of losing our jobs even if we are fairly sure that we're safe.

Someone reading this could be shown the door tomorrow.......not me of course! I've got at least another couple of months......

Yeah, every one of us should prepare for the possibility of losing our jobs even if we are fairly sure that we're safe.

Someone reading this could be shown the door tomorrow.......not me of course! I've got at least another couple of months......

So true. I felt like that Monday morning when I walked into the office. I felt rather different when i walked out...

Sorry to hear you are facing redundancy. I have been through this several times in the last decade, IT. What I can tell you is that every time I was let go, two startups that ran out of cash and a large corporation that went through a restructuring process, I have found a better paying, higher level and more satisfying job within a few months. The time off in between was much appreciated by my family, I managed to spend three complete summer holidays with the family, priceless.

Negotiate for the best possible package, leave on good terms, take a short break and begin to look for new opportunities. Stay positive, enjoy the time with your family, catch up with old friends. You will be amazed at how you look back at the current period in a few years time and wonder why you were ever so concerned.

Good Luck.

Sorry to hear you are facing redundancy. I have been through this several times in the last decade, IT. What I can tell you is that every time I was let go, two startups that ran out of cash and a large corporation that went through a restructuring process, I have found a better paying, higher level and more satisfying job within a few months. The time off in between was much appreciated by my family, I managed to spend three complete summer holidays with the family, priceless.

Negotiate for the best possible package, leave on good terms, take a short break and begin to look for new opportunities. Stay positive, enjoy the time with your family, catch up with old friends. You will be amazed at how you look back at the current period in a few years time and wonder why you were ever so concerned.

Good Luck.

Thanks, that's wonderfully positive.

This extract from a 1934 book 'Merchants of Death' explains how how French and Czech defence companies avoided redundancies by supporting some foreign gentleman who looked like he might be dangerous- a little known mini-mustached Austrian fellow by the name of Adolf Hitler!

Just trying to give you some ideas!

'In Europe their colleagues are even more active. Hitler has now become the symbol of the return of German militarism. Even before he managed to obtain supreme power therewas speculation as to his financial backers. Obviously they included German industrialists fearful of socialism, communism,and the labor unions, nationalists smarting under the

"insults" of the Versailles treaty, and a host of other discontented folk. But on the list of these contributors supplying funds to the Hitler movement were the names of two capitalists—Von Arthaber and Von Duschnitz—directors of Skoda, the great armament firm of Germany's neighbor and enemy, Czechoslovakia.

Interlocking directorates are a familiar phenomenon in the United States. The real controller of industries is frequently found in the most unexpected places. In Europe the same system prevails. And so it appears that Messrs. Von Arthaber and Von Duschnitz represent a firm which is controlled by still another firm. The head of this holding company is neither German nor Czech. He is a French citizen, M. Eugene Schneider, president of the Schneider-CreusotCompany which for a century has dominated the French arms industry and which through its subsidiaries now controls most of the important arms factories in Central Europe. Some of Hitler's financial support, then, was derived from a company owned by a leading French industrialist and arms maker.

Arms merchants also own newspapers and mold public opinion. M. Schneider is more than just president of Creusot. He is the moving spirit of another great combine, the Comiti des Forges. This French steel trust through one of its officers has controlling shares in the Paris newspaper Le Temps, the counterpart of The New York Times, and the Journal des Debats, which corresponds to the New York Herald Tribune. These two powerful papers constantly

warn their readers of the "danger of disarmament" and ofthe menace of Germany. Thus M. Schneider is in a position to pull two strings, one linked to Hitler and German militarism,

the other tied to the French press and French militarism.

Edited by Sinking Feeling