House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cashinmattress

A Job Is Now Being Lost Every 30 Seconds

Jobless rate soars to 12-year high as company directors claiming the dole jumps 200%

• A job is now being lost every 30 seconds
  • McDonald's receiving 2,200 applications a day
  • Directors and CEOs claiming the dole up 200%

The unemployment total has soared to a 12-year high of 2.26 million after a record number of people lost their jobs in recent months, figures reveal today.

The total rose by 232,000 in the three months to April, meaning a job was being lost every 30 seconds.

The figures also show that the number of people claiming jobseeker's allowance, among them unemployed City bankers, management consultants and lawyers, increased by 39,300 last month to 1.54 million, the highest total since summer 1997.

Youth unemployment has reached its worst level since 1994 after a 74,000 increase in the number of 18- to 24-year-olds out of work to 695,000.

New in the job: Yvette Cooper (right) talks to job advisor Simon Brocklesby at the Marylebone Jobcentre in London. The new Secretary of State for Work and Pensions said today that UK unemployment is lower than in the US and eurozone

Long-term unemployment, counting those out of work for more than a year, increased by 54,000 in the latest quarter to a 10-year high of 515,000.

The figures were revealed as the Conservatives today published an analysis of job losses showing hundreds of chief executives and company directors have signed on the dole in London and the South-East after losing their jobs in the recession.

More...Bank workers and teachers among the 2,000 a day applying for a McJob

The number of unemployed brokers, management consultants, architects, lawyers, accountants and advertising managers claiming Jobseeker's Allowance of ?64.30 a week has also soared.

The number of directors and chief executives on the claiming count was 570 in April, a 200 per cent rise on the 190 of a year earlier.

In the construction industry, which has been one of the biggest victims of the recession, 625 architects in the capital were on the dole two months ago, a rise of 1,036 per cent on the 55 in April 2008.

The legal profession has also suffered badly in London, with 570 lawyers or solicitors on the claimant count, a 375 per cent increase from 120.

With the City reeling from the economic crisis, big rises in financial workers on the dole in London and the South-East have included:

• Finance and investment analysts: 1,830 in April, up from 510 in a year.
  • Brokers: up to 425 from 175. Management consultants, actuaries, economists and statisticians: up to 830 from 290.
  • Financial institution managers: up to 705 from 205.
  • Financial managers and chartered secretaries: trebled to 1,050.
  • Chartered accountants: 705, up from 200.
  • Advertising and public relations managers: up to 835 from 235.

Shadow work and pensions secretary Theresa May stressed the figures revealed how the recession was hitting workers across all industries.

"The South-East and London have been hit by the different demographics of this recession," she said. "We are seeing far larger numbers of people who are directors and executives who are becoming unemployed. If you have been running a company, it must take a lot to gear up to walk into a job centre. It's a different experience from anything you have had before."

Experts predict that unemployment across the country is due to soar towards three million but some have recently downgraded predictions that it could rise to 3.5 million following signs that Britain's economy may be turning the corner. According to the Tory research, based on official figures, the West Midlands has seen worst affected by the recession as manufacturing has suffered.

However, blue-collar workers in London and the South-East are also struggling to find employment.

The Tories said 16 job seekers were chasing every vacancy for low-skilled work advertised in Jobcentres in the capital, and this figure rose to 243 for painters and decorators and 263 for glaziers and window-fitters in the South-East. Ten people were applying for each vacancy in managerial or professional posts.

Overall the biggest rise in London was for administrative and secretarial workers with 13,465 more on the claimant count, with 10,975 more people in sales and customer service also on the dole than a year ago, as were 5,440 more professionals. The number of senior government officials out of work actually fell.

The Tory figures come as it was revealed McDonald's is receiving 2,200 applications each day.

The fast-food giant is even being swamped by inquiries from graduates, bank workers and teachers desperate for a low-paid "McJob".

McDonald's said the recession meant it was "no surprise we are attracting thousands of applications a day".

The latest raft of alarming unemployment figures sent shockwaves through Gordon Brown's beleaguered government.

Labour MP Lindsay Hoyle said: "The rise is very worrying. Unemployment is biting all parts of the economy."

Work and Pensions Secretary Yvette Cooper said: "Families across Britain are continuing to feel the consequences of the global recession. Unemployment has increased in Britain and across the world, although it is lower here than in the US and the eurozone.

"It is vital we do everything we can, both to help people into work right now and to prevent long-term unemployment scarring families and communities for the future."

A Department of Work and Pensions spokesman said: "Since the beginning of April additional help has been made available for people from day one of becoming unemployed."

Dynomite figures! These highlight the fact that our idoitic resident ramping numpties are operating with blinders on whilst the country falls apart. Sibley...you are so far off base...and that goes for the rest of you rampers...

It's terrible out there!

Crash gains more momentum!

Edited by cashinmattress

Guest มร หล&#3
Jobless rate soars to 12-year high as company directors claiming the dole jumps 200%

Dynomite figures! These highlight the fact that our idoitic resident ramping numpties are operating with blinders on whilst the country falls apart. Sibley...you are so far off base...and that goes for the rest of you rampers...

It's terrible out there!

I read some place that the worst hit of the professions was Quantity Surveyors.

Good.

I hate them.

I read some place that the worst hit of the professions was Quantity Surveyors.

Good.

I hate them.

I claim my £5 you are a bricky !.... building chimneys on spot boards on the first floor.

Guest มร หล&#3
Hate is such a strong word. :(

Not for them.

I've worked civils all my adult life and I've yet to meet a nice one, one that even resembles a human being.

Real shite.

Guest มร หล&#3
I claim my £5 you are a bricky !.... building chimneys on spot boards on the first floor.

Nope.

Project technical manager for large regen projects.

DESTROY everything - but leave our grossly overpriced homes alone !!!

Yep.

The first responsible step entering recession would have been to bin the whole skilled visa system, didn't happen, that would reduce the demand for housing. It is now becoming very apparent that those missing skills were not missing at all or are not skilled jobs at all - just displacement for lower wages.

As wages fall there is less demand for goods, creating a further collapse in the economy.

Meanwhile companies are still leaving the UK and transferring their manufacturing to France/Germany (for example see below) - they are far more financially stable locations than the UK to trade from. This speculative pit is no place for any sort of productive capacity.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/8104191.stm

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/ireland/re...all-415191.html

NEARLY 400 people are chasing EVERY vacancy in some jobs, shock new figures reveal.

The findings expose the ferocious competition to find work in Britain as the recession bites.

And Ministers are braced for more bad news today when the latest jobless figures are published.

A new study of official figures shows there are 395 jobseekers for every vacancy as a LABOURER in metalworks and foundries.

Around 255 are chasing every labouring job in processing factories. Air hostesses are struggling too, with 238 people for every position.

There is intense competition in the building industry, which is reeling from the collapse of the housing market. There are 150 bricklayers — and 127 plasterers — for every job.

Ninety-six people are competing to fill each carpentry position, with 56 drivers chasing every forklift truck job.

Even shelf-stacking at the local supermarket has become a battle, with 71 people for every vacancy.

The scale of the crisis is exposed by Tory research into official figures on vacancies.

Edited by OnlyMe

Guest มร หล&#3
Yep.

The first responsible step entering recession would have been to bin the whole skilled visa system, didn't happen, that would reduce the demand for housing. It is now becoming very apparent that those missing skills were not missing at all or are not skilled jobs at all - just displacement for lower wages.

As wages fall there is less demand for goods, creating a further collapse in the economy.

Meanwhile companies are still leaving the UK and transferring their manufacturing to France/Germany - they are far more financially stable locations than the UK to trade from. This speculative pit is no place for any sort of productive capacity.

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/ireland/re...all-415191.html

NEARLY 400 people are chasing EVERY vacancy in some jobs, shock new figures reveal.

The findings expose the ferocious competition to find work in Britain as the recession bites.

And Ministers are braced for more bad news today when the latest jobless figures are published.

A new study of official figures shows there are 395 jobseekers for every vacancy as a LABOURER in metalworks and foundries.

Around 255 are chasing every labouring job in processing factories. Air hostesses are struggling too, with 238 people for every position.

There is intense competition in the building industry, which is reeling from the collapse of the housing market. There are 150 bricklayers — and 127 plasterers — for every job.

Ninety-six people are competing to fill each carpentry position, with 56 drivers chasing every forklift truck job.

Even shelf-stacking at the local supermarket has become a battle, with 71 people for every vacancy.

The scale of the crisis is exposed by Tory research into official figures on vacancies.

Mick they've got to be fiddling the unemployment data big style.

All those CIS guys, self-employed, those who can't sign on because of savings . . . Wonder what the real figure is?

All those CIS guys, self-employed, those who can't sign on because of savings . . . Wonder what the real figure is?

we dont care about that. just leave our grossly overpriced homes alone !!

they will not release their grip on this perceived wealth until they themselves are destroyed by the sub effects of a destroyed general economy..

it says a lot about our country and government and what is supposed to be democracy.

like the bbc getting all over the iranian protesters rights and the death of one iranian protester, while in our own country the police murder mr tomlinson on camera, baton a small girl to the ground and punch peaceful, lawful protesters yet they report very little other than its gone to the IPCC and they then shut up and go over to iran to tell us all how ghastly the police are there and how thats not democracy.

what shit heads

Edited by right_freds_dead

If this rate keeps up of 250,000 per quarter my prediction of 3m unemployed by the end of the year will be correct.

It's getting very tough out there.

Meanwhile Ponzi Brown continues on his spending mission because it's the right thing to do.

Goodness knows.

Underemployment probably dominates - but that could be anything form 0-100% of previous levels of work/income, must be around the million mark in that situation.

Overpriced housing is NOT going to bring full time working back, just going to leach demand and volume from the market.

It's terrible out there!

I hate to be crass and rude about people i dont know, but Sibley, Rinona, Mc Tavish, you my friends have not got a friggin clue, you are desperate individuals that must be shatting yourself as you sit at your estate agent desks, non of you seem to have even a basic grasp of how the economy works or what has happened to the global economy. Your simply cluchting at straws. You dont even seem to be able to equate what is really happening in the real world.

Whats makes things worse is the fact that the UK in the very near future faces a severe Energy crisis. 36% of domestic energy is generated from natural Gas - ours is gone! WE can either import billions of pounds worth of natural Gas with a devalued pound or we will have to close what industry we have left. Then there is oil, it will get progresivley more and more expensive over the next few years and we are having to import more and more as our very own north sea oil has peaked and is rapidly declining.

Can anyone see house prices doing anything other than dropping like a stone under these circumstances?

This morning I attended a round-table discussion involving Finance Directors across all industry sectors - topic "after the credit crunch." The main focus was on finance functions and the consensus was a hiring freeze across the board. Cuts in finance department head-count of 10-40% on average.

Much talk of more junior employees feeling empowered due to the greater level of responsibility and higher workload they are being asked to take on for the same salary or less. Bulls**t - people are scared of losing their jobs and not being able to find another.

The majority seemed to feel that current staff levels will be sufficient going forward, as a result of greater efficiencies being achieved following the radical cuts in head-count. Many of the redundant middle-managers will not find an easy route back into work. They will struggle to make the step to senior management and their former more junior colleagues are currently doing their jobs for significantly less money.

No green shoots in evidence!

Can anyone see house prices doing anything other than dropping like a stone under these circumstances?

That's what I'm waiting for, my friend ... biding my time, counting the crows ... my money (literally) is on a further drop later this year.

Unemployment will go higher next month than when NuLab displaced the Conservatives in 1997.

Twelve years of abject failure completed ...

EDIT: in, not on.

Edited by keef

That's what I'm waiting for, my friend ... biding my time, counting the crows ... my money (literally) is on a further drop later this year.

Unemployment will go higher next month than when NuLab displaced the Conservatives in 1997.

Twelve years of abject failure completed ...

EDIT: in, not on.

Agreed

where are our resident bull club? They cannot be busy sitting in there empty estate agent shops?

Oh i forget there busy with all the enquires (non of them leading to sales) no different than the windows shopping me and the wife do when it's raining. Browsing through comet, currys but never buying.

such fools our Bulls Sibbers, Rinona, Mctavish