House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jimmylad

Home Schooling

I'm living in Cyprus at the mo & the private school my 11 year old goes too is getting to be a bit of a bloody shambles.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as I just don't know where to begin regards home schooling.

I don't want to go down this route but might have no choice soon so I want to plan for the worst. They follow the English curriculum & take IGCSE's as far as I can tell.

Sorry I'm a bit vague but I have always left the schooling to the school but it seems like I need to get involved & take control of what is becoming a bad situation.

Thanks in Advance.

Hello

I was home schooled and it was the best thing that ever happened to me, I can say with absolutely certainly that I wouldn't have got as far as I have if I hadn't been.

My advice therefore comes with the caveat that it could well be and probably is out of date! :(

If you want to do things entirely yourself, then your steps working backwards are:

Find exam syllabuses that let her do the subjects she wants to do without continuous assessment or coursework, or else carefully check the guidelines for coursework and see if it's possible to meet them. Some subjects are generally difficult, others are generally easier. It's difficult, time consuming, expensive and sometimes impossible for someone that does pure home schooling to meet most exam board requirements for this, as the "school" role for moderating/ verifying / assessing is often somewhat absent!

In general IGCSEs tend to be your friend for this, but it can be worthwhile to try and avoid them. I can promise you that not only are they, no matter what anyone says, more difficult, but some people also treat them with suspicion because they've never heard of them :( IGCSEs in Languages are particular ones to watch out for in terms of extreme added difficulty!

You need to choose subjects that

- She can teach herself (even if these produce an odd mix they are the ones to go for anyway; I just happened to fall into a job I didn't even know existed that I'd done the perfect strange mix of subjects for!)

- You could teach her

- You can get a course for from someone like the very helpful people at http://www.nec.ac.uk/courses/category-brow...ategory_id=6820

You then need to find an exam centre that takes external candidates. In the UK this can be the most awkward thing and quite expensive, as it's probably going to involve renting somewhere in London, Oxford, Cambridge or Edinburgh for a month. I expect it could probably be easier to arrange abroad as there'd be more people doing it!

A-Levels are generally easier to arrange. I did all mine through the National Extension College, who are pretty good. It doesn't seem cheap, but it's well worth the money as they provide exactly the bit you can't do yourself flexibly and well.

By that stage, if she's like me she'll find that she objects to people telling her how to study and objects to other people directing her study.

This can be overcome by the fantastic range of degrees available from University of London external :)

I'm living in Cyprus at the mo & the private school my 11 year old goes too is getting to be a bit of a bloody shambles.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as I just don't know where to begin regards home schooling.

I don't want to go down this route but might have no choice soon so I want to plan for the worst. They follow the English curriculum & take IGCSE's as far as I can tell.

Sorry I'm a bit vague but I have always left the schooling to the school but it seems like I need to get involved & take control of what is becoming a bad situation.

Thanks in Advance.

I'm not very sure about this but I think home schooling in Cyprus is against the law there, would be worth checking.

Guest theboltonfury

It's always interesting that on TV when they show a Home-schooled child they are nearly always precocious little brats who are depicted as being unable to interact with other kids. Or that's what I've seen anyway.

I can't believe this is the case in reality

Homeschooling is perfectly legal in Cyprus.

This was something my parents got harangued with continually; is it legal, are you turning him into a weirdo, will he be able to read and write, will he ever be able to get a job, etc etc... They started to shut up when I did my GCSEs years early, and keep their mouths shut nowadays.

The other thing I might say is get her joined up to every sports club and other activity you can find anywhere, no matter what it is. Essential for the keeping people meeting people stuff :)

Guest X-QUORK

It's the same sort of prejudice people have against kids with no siblings.

"Oh, you're an only-child? Were you spoiled?"

Consider jumping GCSEs, no one cares for them.

You could well learn it, do the past papers and mark them yourself. If your able to get 70% plus then move on to the a-levels which you should sit and get the certificates for.

Guest UK Debt Slave

Thanks in Advance.

Fully understandable!

I don't have any kids of my own...for reasons that will be obvious to anyone who reads my posts.

If I did have kids, I would do everything within my grasp to educate them myself.

Good luck is about all I can say.

In schools some kids are not allowed to take empty egg boxes due to salmanella or in one case i know of a school that has tried to ban peanut butter sammies because one kid is alergic to nuts and yet the kids parents don't agree with the ban and rightly so.

home teaching seems the way to go or are we all so stupid with numbers that we think teachers are more productive at teaching 30 kids in a go to our one or two.

facts is parants are alrady having to make up at home because the education system does such a poor job and are more concered with kids wearing eye protection when using bluetak then they are with teaching common scence or real skills for life.

home teahing go for it i say

The level of education required for a GCSE pass is very basic and home schooled children usually attain this level earlier than conventionally educated children due to the intensive nature of the tuition received.

The only issues I can see arising from home schooling vs. formal institutional schooling, are that the social aspect of being schooled with peers is missing, and that your relationship with your child might become too intense.

If you work hard enough you can get around these anyway.

Good luck if you do it.