House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Soul_Survivor

Police Brutality Or Reasonable Force?

Heard this on the radio yesterday and just found the video of three coppers beating a drunk in Nottingham City Centre.

I'm no fan of the Police but am thinking it's not a total case of brutality, if the guy being arrested had just lied still in the first place surely it could have saved all the hassle.

There again, we don't know why they have him on the ground in the first place and just what excuse is there to punch him on the head three times and use a taser?

Video Here

Guest anorthosite

I always thought a taser was a way of using non-lethal force to bring down someone violent. But here it just seems to be a way of making him put his hands behind his back to be cuffed. What happened to good old fashioned brute force? If the police have to restrain someone then fine, use reasonable force, but not a taser and never, ever punch someone on the head.

Even the cops are soft these days if a bunch of them can't cuff a suspect without tasering him once he's on the ground.

Yes but the officers involved can claim 3 months on the sick if no one had filmed the incident by saying they were attacked.

i don't see much of a gap between Hittlers SS and our police and camroon joke the other day about ID cards was about the SS and not current german leaders like the BBC says it was.

Our police are bent and many of the good ones have got out or were forced out so no suprise the police has a image problom when they are acting like thugs and stiring up trouble just to stay in overtime.

Guest X-QUORK

Very hard to tell in this case, but I'd say that use of Tasers is justifiable if the Police Officers on the ground feel at risk of serious injury. There should be some sort of step-up to using them in most of these drunks-in-the-street scenarios though, and once they are used, plenty of tedious paperwork should act as a slight deterrent.

Heard this on the radio yesterday and just found the video of three coppers beating a drunk in Nottingham City Centre.

I'm no fan of the Police but am thinking it's not a total case of brutality, if the guy being arrested had just lied still in the first place surely it could have saved all the hassle.

There again, we don't know why they have him on the ground in the first place and just what excuse is there to punch him on the head three times and use a taser?

Video Here

Unless the guy being punched had -

1) Tasered

2) Punched

3) Kidnapped

someone else then this action is more criminal than anything he did. Physically attacking people for minor crime is completely insane, if you look at it from a macro "reducing harm to society" level.

what did he expect ...? didnt he know it was a no drinking zone ? ..... he should have been stripped naked , handcuffed to the police car bumper and driven round the block 30 times at 60mph ....

tough on crime , tough on the causes of crime ... didn't some political trougher say

...and with that the police lose the support and co-operation of another section of the law-abiding public. The police have a difficult job which is made increasingly difficult by the behaviour of a minority of their own colleagues. It is a cycle in which increasing police brutality is met with increasing public resentment and hostility and the cycle will only be broken when the majority of honest, community-minded police refuse to turn a blind eye to abuses of police power and authority. How's that Ian Tomlinson inquiry going? You remember? The guy that, according to initial police reports, simply had a heart attack at the G20 protest and that the police valiantly tried to help whilst being attacked by protesters.

what did he expect ...? didnt he know it was a no drinking zone ? ..... he should have been stripped naked , handcuffed to the police car bumper and driven round the block 30 times at 60mph ....

tough on crime , tough on the causes of crime ... didn't some political trougher say

I agree. Anyone who has the temerity to consume alcohol in a no drinking zone deserves a jolly good thrashing!

Probably should be hanged tbh. It's a well known fact that the majority of rapists and murderers are either drunk or subsequently become drunk. All terrorists are murderers, so the safest course of action is hanging all drunks to reduce terrorism.

Guest X-QUORK
Probably should be hanged tbh. It's a well known fact that the majority of rapists and murderers are either drunk or subsequently become drunk. All terrorists are murderers, so the safest course of action is hanging all drunks to reduce terrorism.

Come to think of it, they're all people too.

Kill them, kill them all.

Guest anorthosite
Come to think of it, they're all people too.

Kill them, kill them all.

death.gif

Although the punches administered towards the end of the incident do look a little er suspect, but it depends on what he did before hand.

Does it? I'm not trying to simply be argumentative here, but if the guy is restrained, what prior behaviour would justify that beating?

Guest X-QUORK
a little slap and tickle between friends if you will, you know, the sort of thing you and your misses get up to on a Friday night! ;)

Tasering the missus? Now that's niche. Got the web address?

Guest anorthosite
Is that going to sent the IT police into a frenzy at work?

I'm at home right now ;)

Unless the guy being punched had -

1) Tasered

2) Punched

3) Kidnapped

someone else then this action is more criminal than anything he did. Physically attacking people for minor crime is completely insane, if you look at it from a macro "reducing harm to society" level.

GBH is minor is it?

On another point, the tazer is actually very low down on the use of force scale. It causes no permanent harm, just pain at the time of discharge, together with a couple of small cuts where the hooks go in. It should be noted that during the sequence shown on the video, the hooks were already in.

Tazer carries a far lower risk of injury than, for example, forcefully wrenching someones wrist behind their back using a pair of speedcuffs. The issue here is public perception and understanding.

Video Here

at the end of the day, if he has a complaint against the police he should go to the police. the police that assaulted him are very familiar to the uk population, having had many hits including.

every breath you take.

synchronicity

roxanne

i myself could offer my services as i could easily identify the member called sting as his real name is gordon sumner. the other one had curly hair and the other member of the gang had a long jawed face.

GBH is minor is it?

On another point, the tazer is actually very low down on the use of force scale. It causes no permanent harm, just pain at the time of discharge, together with a couple of small cuts where the hooks go in. It should be noted that during the sequence shown on the video, the hooks were already in.

Tazer carries a far lower risk of injury than, for example, forcefully wrenching someones wrist behind their back using a pair of speedcuffs. The issue here is public perception and understanding.

you still don't get it do you??

once upon a time,every citizen in this country was armed.Laws were few but strictly enforced and everybody knew the boundaries,even the aristocracy because of a covenant that was made to stop the few riding roughshod over the many.(which is still in existence today)

now we have a disarmed populace being bullied and rode roughshod over by the few with blurred topsy-turvy judicial processes and a nanny-state dictating "social cohesion" while seeking to undermine it at every opportunity,and wittering on about "knife crime".......enforced by a tooled-up pretorian guard.

and in addition to this,there are now maniac ragheads in this country who want to blow you up.....but the state won't allow you to remedy the situation......cos nanny knows best.

and it's all been done so incrementally that people get acclimatised to the new "tellytubbyland-at-tazerpoint"

.....this is how fascism starts........it spreads like cancer,so must be dealt with here and now.

...and I do hope any resident bobbies reading this do stop and think about what is going on right now and who superior to them is instigating the orders they have to follow.

(I would hasten to add the reason behind the keeping and bearing of arms was also to prevent invasion by foreign aggressors.........how do you think we'd fare now?)

you still don't get it do you??

once upon a time,every citizen in this country was armed.Laws were few but strictly enforced and everybody knew the boundaries,even the aristocracy because of a covenant that was made to stop the few riding roughshod over the many.(which is still in existence today)

now we have a disarmed populace being bullied and rode roughshod over by the few with blurred topsy-turvy judicial processes and a nanny-state dictating "social cohesion" while seeking to undermine it at every opportunity,and wittering on about "knife crime".......enforced by a tooled-up pretorian guard.

and in addition to this,there are now maniac ragheads in this country who want to blow you up.....but the state won't allow you to remedy the situation......cos nanny knows best.

and it's all been done so incrementally that people get acclimatised to the new "tellytubbyland-at-tazerpoint"

.....this is how fascism starts........it spreads like cancer,so must be dealt with here and now.

...and I do hope any resident bobbies reading this do stop and think about what is going on right now and who superior to them is instigating the orders they have to follow.

(I would hasten to add the reason behind the keeping and bearing of arms was also to prevent invasion by foreign aggressors.........how do you think we'd fare now?)

Thats a fascinating hypothesis.

Meanwhile...back in the real world...on the streets...in the face of violence...I'm glad we have a police force to keep order.

Guest anorthosite
I worry about you, I really do! ;)

Its Mrs Anorthosite you should worry about with that thing :blink:

You are asking a drunk person to exercise mastery over millions of years of evolution though.