House Price Crash Forum
kilroy

Best Places To Live Near University Of Warwick

Looking to relocate my family (wife and 3 yr old son) next year. Where are the best family-orientated places within about 30 min drive of Uni of Warwick (CV4 7AL)? Looking for 4 bed semi or detached with garden (most places in Leamington have tiny gardens). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Looking to relocate my family (wife and 3 yr old son) next year. Where are the best family-orientated places within about 30 min drive of Uni of Warwick (CV4 7AL)? Looking for 4 bed semi or detached with garden (most places in Leamington have tiny gardens). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

There are a number of new developments around Leamington and Warwick but most suffer from the new build tiny garden syndrome.

Some of the older properties (usually pre WW2 as opposed to Regency or earlier) in both do have larger space around them but are generally pricey. Alternatively there are some very decent villages around the area you are looking..........

Agree with above. I lived in Leamington for many years, and still have links with the area. Warwick and Kenilworth are expensive, and shops are poor. Centre your search on Leamington, which is very attractive. Top of Parade and north toward kenilworth is most desirable. Avoid South Leam - beyond Bath street railway bridge. Otherwise the villages are best, bearing in mind distance to Leam shops. Generally a nice place to live.

Small gardens are often a feature of Victorian/Regency houses. Gardening was seen as a pursuit of the lower orders. If you had 500 acres, it was different. You got a landscaper in!

I used to study at Warwick and know the area very well. I still have friends in the region and visit there a few times a year. Consider Kenilworth. You dont have to use the A46 to get to the uni, so travel would be a doddle. Its large enough to have the few shops / pubs / curry houses etc, but has a nice relaxed feel. Plenty of places to take the family on sunny days....parks, castle etc. Dont know about gardens & prices, sorry.

Dont rule out Coventry....not the city centre of course....and some of the outer regions are just dire, but I have a friend who lives in a VERY nice house & neighbourhood a stones throw from the uni.....as you meet the A45 from the Westwood end of the site.

To be honest, Leamington can be a bit of a snarly commute at rush hours (but nothing horrendous).....the town of Warwick may be easier and might serve your needs better.

Hope this helps.

J.

Where are the best family-orientated places within about 30 min drive of Uni of Warwick (CV4 7AL)?

Do you work at the university? The absolutely best family-orientated place is within a 5 minutes drive, 15 minute walk of the uni. There is no point in wasting an hour of your day travelling, wasting money on travelling, getting stressed in traffic etc. Mental health, physical health, economic health, environmental health... it all improves will less travelling. The best thing I ever did was swap my 45 minute commute for a 15 minute walk.

In the countryside around Stratford-upon-Avon... (he says sitting in a valley looking out across Warwickshire fields)

Edited by moosetea

Earlsdon, Beechwood, Stivichall areas of Coventry. (probably the nicest area in Coventry).

15 mins on yer bike to the Uni.

There's a great big park on your doorstep (on google map it's called Stivichall Common).

Until you get to know Warwickshire area, this would be a good place to start as it's got loads of things locally for your kids to do.

Edited by kara gee

Leamington is a very nice place but is a tiny bit too far from the university for my liking.

A good bet would be to speak to future colleagues. I'm trying to think where the academics who I knew well when I was there used to live. One or two lived in Stoneleigh [tiny place, I think]? I seem to remember someone telling me that former HPC hero Andrew Oswald commuted from Oxford, of all places.

Edited by the flying pig

Can't add much to the excellent advice above.

When we first moved out of London we rented in Leamington - not bad. Bit like a middling London suburb (Ealing etc).

Travelling to Uni from Leamington is a bit of a pain if you drive. The schlep off the A46 is horribly congested unless you nip through Kenilworth and enter via Westwood business park end.

I'd either plump for Kenilworth (shopping is improving - new Waitrose last year), or North Leamington, or one of the villages between Leamingon or Rugby (this means you can go into Uni via A45.

Can't comment on living in Coventry but the decent areas are on the Uni side anyway so worth an explore.

Don't look anywhere on the Stratford side of the M40 - commute would be bad.

Almost forgot - if you're thinking of putting your children in nursery there's a Childbase nursery in Westwood Business Park. Our kids were there when we first moved up - I'd recommend it.

Edited by Ignorant Steve

Can't add much to the excellent advice above.

When we first moved out of London we rented in Leamington - not bad. Bit like a middling London suburb (Ealing etc).

Travelling to Uni from Leamington is a bit of a pain if you drive. The schlep off the A46 is horribly congested unless you nip through the Kenilworth and enter via Westwood business park end.

I'd either plump for Kenilworth (shopping is improving - new Waitrose last year), or North Leamington, or one of the villages between Leamingon or Rugby (this means you can go into Uni via A45.

Can't comment on living in Coventry but the decent areas are on the Uni side anyway so worth an explore.

Also beware of commute along a45 from the other side of the island at baginton. This gets really jammed up at rush hour.

I would agree with sentiments of not driving too far. Beechwood / Earlsdon / Styvechall are the parts of Coventry to consider. I spent my student years and a few beyond in and around Earlsdon. It tends to the the part of Coventry that attracts people from out of town.

Some locals I have spoken to are puzzled what people from outside Coventry see in Earlsdon. My usual response is that its 'cos there is a lower density of Coventrians.

Edited by Nick Dastardly

Having thought long and hard about this. Well 10 minutes anyway.

Bubbenhall (village) is my recommendation.

Not too close, so away from the students, easy drive (or cycle if you're fit!).

Surrounded by countryside for an idyllic childhood upbringing. Easy access back into Leamington for shopping / schooling.

Sorted.

If you drive, you might even look at Warwick... it's was a very quick run (admittedly over a decade ago) when I commuted the opposite way round for a summer... I actually enjoyed that commute - about 15 minutes - just enough to put a proper separation between social and work lives.

Where are the best family-orientated places within about 30 min drive of Uni of Warwick (CV4 7AL)?

Within 30 minutes?

Coventry: unfashionable and rather unattractive City but excellent transport links, reasonable shops, OK for schools but nothing special and a wide range of housing stock.

Warwick: typical small town range of shops, restaurants etc, normal housing choices but costly. Expensive and desirable private schools but state versions OK as well. Some of the residential areas are badly served by public transport and used as rat runs to/from A46 and M40, thus can be very congested

Leamington: OK for shops and small businesses, as Warwick for schools, traffic can get very busy around rush hours. If large Victorian/Edwardian terraces are of interest then worth a look but as with the newer developments, gardens small.

Stratford: Not too bad for shops although many are tourist-oriented, great for theatre and one of the last bastions of the 11+. Some of the town-centre housing stock is very attractive but everything – including the tat – is expensive.

Kenilworth: very convenient for the University and agree with the comment about the relaxed feel. That said, maybe a little characterless.

Overall the Leamington/Warwick and Stratford commutes are all a pain but the soon-to-be-finished A46/M40 roundabout construction should be a big help for Stratford and other south of the M40 locations. If you prefer City/suburb living then South Coventry is the best bet but if village/country locations with easy access to town and city are your preference then look South West from the Uni as far as Alcester or even Evesham and you’ll find a really wide range of property in all price ranges with none of the commute problems of Warwick/Leamington.

I've worked in Warwick for over a decade & whilst there's some good advice here there's also some bad.

I lived in Stratford for a year & the commute was a cinch ... as it is to the Uni further up the A46 aswell. Besides, the above is out of date due to this:

http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/web/corpora...025740A003EA00B

So it will definitely take less than 30 mins from Stratford to Warwick Uni from next year. In the OP's situation I would strongly recommend Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwick or Kenilworth. Leamington is too expensive if a big garden is a must.

Oh, & Coventry is an absolute shit-tip. All of it.

I've worked in Warwick for over a decade & whilst there's some good advice here there's also some bad.

I lived in Stratford for a year & the commute was a cinch ... as it is to the Uni further up the A46 aswell. Besides, the above is out of date due to this:

http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/web/corpora...025740A003EA00B

So it will definitely take less than 30 mins from Stratford to Warwick Uni from next year. In the OP's situation I would strongly recommend Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwick or Kenilworth. Leamington is too expensive if a big garden is a must.

I merely pass I what some friends (who are lectures at Warwick) told me.

If you've not tried to drive into Westwood between 7:45 and 9:30 then don't assume that crossing the M40 or Leamington / Warwick rush hours are the biggest issue.

Having said that if the OP is used to London rush hours then nothing around here is an issue. Except when there's a major problem.

I merely pass I what some friends (who are lectures at Warwick) told me.

If you've not tried to drive into Westwood between 7:45 and 9:30 then don't assume that crossing the M40 or Leamington / Warwick rush hours are the biggest issue.

Having said that if the OP is used to London rush hours then nothing around here is an issue. Except when there's a major problem.

thanks to all the helpful posts! THe wife likes leamington but I am more inclined for a village on the outskirts if possible. We will definitely check out the SE of Coventry (Stivinchall etc). Of course, I actually have to get into the medical school but that is a different thread for a different forum.......

Slightly over the top statement but saying that I grew up in Hillfields. Remember getting shot in the back of the leg with a pellet gun on my way to school....didn't flinch though.

Happy days

thanks to all the helpful posts! THe wife likes leamington but I am more inclined for a village on the outskirts if possible. We will definitely check out the SE of Coventry (Stivinchall etc). Of course, I actually have to get into the medical school but that is a different thread for a different forum.......

If you are going to go for leamington, be aware that the river can flood. I lived in a house that backed on to the river, which is a nice thought, but the tenants before us had the river running through the lounge. I would aim for out of town a little so there is not too many students around dropping kebab wrappers. As others have suggested, Kenilworth is a lot closer and always seamed ok, and I think there is a pretty good squash club there, which is always a plus for me.

All of the comments about Warwick and Leamington are right - generally a very nice place to live (having grown up in the area and lived there for about 10 years). Traffic is a bit of a problem - especially Warwick in the mornings.

If I was looking for a place with a garden, I would probably look at some of the villages North of the A46 (Knowle, Ballsall Common, Berkswell, Lapworth etc - some areas can be a bit pricey. Also, lots of new development in Hatton, which would be easy to get to the university from - and you may be able to bargain harder, but they suffer a bit in terms of garden space.

Good luck with the search.