House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
shedfish

'real' Inflation Falls To Minus 10pc

not sure it mirrors my experience entirely... but things do seem a little cheaper than last year. 10% though?

i think 12 months ago was a bit of an 'outlier' though

While the official rate of inflation is now 2.2pc on the Government's preferred measure, the CPI, and minus 1.1pc on its old scale, the RPI, it has fallen deeply into negative territory on the most recent Real Cost of Living Index (RCLI), which stands at minus 10.3pc.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/persona...minus-10pc.html

Well my food, fuel, water, council tax and council tax, which accounts for most of what I spend money on except for rent (that has stayed the same) has gone up probably 5 to 7% overall. Electricity is about the same. As I don't eat flat screen TVs for breakfast, I have not seen 10% deflation.

Well my food, fuel, water, council tax and council tax, which accounts for most of what I spend money on except for rent (that has stayed the same) has gone up probably 5 to 7% overall. Electricity is about the same. As I don't eat flat screen TVs for breakfast, I have not seen 10% deflation.

Agreed, I've seen no decrease.

When my council tax bill starts getting cut by 10% per annum etc... I'll agree we have deflation on what matters.

Edit, put increase instead of decrease to confuse everyone, it appears to have worked.

Edited by interestrateripoff

fuel back at 103.9p and council tax up by 5% YOY. What the F U C K are they talking about?

http://news.scotsman.com/uk/Retail-prices-...cord.5282831.jp

Fruit and veg sales fall as price rises hit shoppers

Last night, economists said the figures should act as a reminder that very low inflation, or deflation, can be a grave danger to the economy.

- Yes, everybody loves paying more for their goods, especially if it gets to the point that savings, pensions and lots of other things have to go out of the window.

SHOPPERS are cutting back on cleaning products and fruit and veg to make ends meet amid price rises, a supermarket comparison website said yesterday.

Sales of fresh fruit and veg have fallen by 8 per cent and 7 per cent in the past year as prices rose by an average of 20 per cent, said mySupermarket.com.

Cleaning products sales dropped by 16 per cent as shoppers saw an average rise of 19 per cent in some bleach brands.

Fed-up shoppers have been seeking out comfort food, as sales of frozen pizza rose 6 per cent in the same period and crisps and snacks were up by 12 per cent. White wine sales also saw a 9 per cent jump.

Hurtling down the food quality scale, real sign of deflation then, not!. 20% increase in fresh produce, wonder where teh Smelegraph got their figures from?

Edited by OnlyMe

Agreed, I've seen no increase.

If you agree, then you must have meant you have seen an increase? Everything apart from rent and fuel has increased, and even fuel is touch and go now.

If you agree, then you must have meant you have seen an increase? Everything apart from rent and fuel has increased, and even fuel is touch and go now.

Brain not communicating accurately with fingers, meant to put decrease. Instead put increase.

Good job I'm not a general and getting withdrawal confused with attack :rolleyes:

Edited by interestrateripoff

Did you know:-

Every household has a variable rate mortgage :blink: This is good news cos this housing is a major cost for most of us and we are all 23% better off!

The combined amount you pay for utilities, council tax and insurance has reduced by 17% :o

With all this extra money we can afford to buy houses at massive multiples!

Edited to add : Oooops, I am already spending these savings because our weekly shop is a lot more than £35!

Edited by Nick Dastardly

If the government prints: interest rates go up to reflect the additional inflation risk.

If the government borrows: interest rates go up to obtain the lending, crowding out commercial borrowing that will have to increase its own interest rates to enable it to secure any funds to continue lending.

Interest rates are going up or we are going to have a complete reset.

Personally l feel we will inflate our way out of this through currency devlauation. Its the easiest method and no fiat currency system has dealt with debt in any other way. I don't think "the cost of credit" going up = deflation, except where those assets are bought predominantly on credit.

Fed-up shoppers have been seeking out comfort food, as sales of frozen pizza rose 6 per cent in the same period and crisps and snacks were up by 12 per cent. White wine sales also saw a 9 per cent jump.[/b]

But there are more to figures like this.

I was in the supermarket last night and noticed that there were large discounts on most types of junk food. Almost all the Pringles/Sensatsions/Kettle Chips/McCoys and Mini Chedders had some form of promotion. Pies and Pizza all seemed to be BOGOF and there was a whole isle of half price biscuits (I did get tempted by some half price Jammie Dodgers I have to confess).

Is it any wonder when the public are told that fresh food is so expensive (for what you get it isnt) that they go to supermarkets are taken in by the discounted 'cr*p' food and end up paying far more than they would if they had stuck to the vegetable section.

All this 'feed a family for a fiver' rubbish too. The Government would do better to teach school kids more than how to use a microwave and peoples finances would be better off.

Brain not communicating accurately with fingers, meant to put decrease. Instead put increase.

Good job I'm not a general and getting withdrawal confused with attack :rolleyes:

Or a chancellor and getting spending cuts confused with increases.

I was in the supermarket last night and noticed that there were large discounts on most types of junk food.

Every supermarket, every week. How much money do you think they make on veg?

All this 'feed a family for a fiver' rubbish too. The Government would do better to teach school kids more than how to use a microwave and peoples finances would be better off.

If the government did this, it may cause GDP to fall, as we would all end up doing a bit more which cannot be taxed or measured. Why would the government want people to create their own meals? You only get economic growth if you pay someone else to look after kids, do the cleaning and make the meals. The wife goes out to work to pay for that part, and then when the adults are home they feel too tired to cook, so buy expensive ready made meals which have been prepared somewhere else, and then they have to throw away more wrapping which has to be processed by more staff at recycling centres. Dumb down the population and get everyone in the rat race, this is the way to maximum wealth (or debt)

If more parents stopped working to look after children, cooked their own food, do more thinngs themslves which cannot be measured and taxed, the goverment would see GDP drop, and they cannot have that.

Edited by BalancedBear

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Sorry, where was this Real cost of living index hiding when we had endless threads over CPI and RPI in the past 4 years??

Another piece of candyfloss spun from pure shit.

The wife goes out to work to pay for that part, and then when the adults are home they feel too tired to cook, so buy expensive ready made meals which have been prepared somewhere else...

I find it sad that people think like this, my cooking time is a lovely little oasis of calm in my schedule. I watch a bit of TV most days and would much more gladly up my TV time than my cooking time.

fuel back at 103.9p and council tax up by 5% YOY. What the F U C K are they talking about?

The things you need to live are increasing in cost and will continue to do so. The things you don't need are falling. Air travel being a good example. There's never been a cheaper time to travel that I can remember. Of course, I hope the places I'm going to visit haven't yet started turning into hell holes. I used to visit NY a lot, but I hear muggings are up some 40% so I'd avoid going there.

I can only presume that their figure is for someone with a large (as a proportion of their take-home pay) SVR mortgage. Only a small proportion of the population are in that situation, though.

The things you need to live are increasing in cost and will continue to do so. The things you don't need are falling. Air travel being a good example. There's never been a cheaper time to travel that I can remember. Of course, I hope the places I'm going to visit haven't yet started turning into hell holes. I used to visit NY a lot, but I hear muggings are up some 40% so I'd avoid going there.

increasing the rich poor divide further as the rich spend a low % of income on necessities and high % on luxuries. vice versa for the poor

I find it sad that people think like this, my cooking time is a lovely little oasis of calm in my schedule. I watch a bit of TV most days and would much more gladly up my TV time than my cooking time.

+1 As well as being cheaper and tasting better you get a bit of calm for yourself. Why would anyone not want to do this?

Sorry, where was this Real cost of living index hiding when we had endless threads over CPI and RPI in the past 4 years??

It was devised by The Daily Telegraph to pander to the morons who continually dispute CPI/RPI figures based solely on the particular things they've noticed rising. To fudge it to show that the "official" CPI/RPI figures were too low last year they had to put school fees in, now it's coming back to bite them. +10% was too hihg last year, -10% is too low this year.

Add up either CPI or RPI since 1997 and you'll find either is about right for what stuff cost then and what it costs now.

I'm pretty sure petrol was more expensive 12 months ago, that's the timescale that matters.

If you think rental yields are holding up, I'd keep that to yourself or you'll end up being Bannerised (libelled by a buffoon).