House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MOP

Newt Gingrich: Attack North Korea With Electromagnetic Pulse Weapon

Guest มร หล&#3
Gingrich: Attack North Korea with electromagnetic pulse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_JWBfh2ciE

Did he just talk about something he really wasn't supposed to talk about?

:ph34r:

Big nuke explosion way above ground or something, creates an electro-magnetic pulse that fries everything electrical/electronic.

Like missile launch systems, communications networks and toasters.

I guess he's talking about this: electromagnetic_bomb

Crazyassmomofukas

An electromagnetic bomb or E-bomb is a weapon designed to disable electronics with an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) that can couple with electrical/electronic systems to produce damaging current and voltage surges by electromagnetic induction. The effects are usually not noticeable beyond 10 km of the blast radius unless the device is nuclear or specifically designed to produce an electromagnetic pulse. Small nuclear weapons detonated at high altitudes can produce a strong enough signal to disrupt or damage electronics many miles from the focus of the explosion. During a nuclear EMP, the magnetic flux lines of the Earth alter the dispersion of energy so that it radiates very little to the North, but spreads out East, West, and South of the blast. The signal is divided into several time components, and can result in thousands of volts per meter of electromagnetic energy ranging from extreme negative to extreme positive polarities. This energy can travel long distances on power lines and through the air.

Fook me. Never knew such a thing existed. :blink:

And the thing is, you just know that it's fancy talk.

If they go ahead and deploy this stuff no doubt the effects will be felt for decades to come.

Big nuke explosion way above ground or something, creates an electro-magnetic pulse that fries everything electrical/electronic.

Like missile launch systems, communications networks and toasters.

The trouble with using a conventional EMP weapon is that the effects are felt over a wide distance.

The pulse can easily span continent-sized areas, and this radiation can affect systems on land, sea, and air.

A large device detonated at 400–500 km (250 to 312 miles) over Kansas would affect all of the continental U.S.

Link

That last example is a bit extreme since the bomb in question would be in low earth orbit.

Is there a way to precisely target an EMP pulse onto say, a single city, without collateral effects (short of utilizing James Bond's "Goldeneye" satellite weapon).

Thing is, any military with any sense will have shielded missile launch systems etc. The problem then is that, with all aircraft and petrol-engined vehicles disabled, they may decide that they have no choice but to go straight to the (literal) nuclear option.

Both sides have secret weapons so it might take a bit longer but what if NK has bio-weapons.

Uncle Sam has become the school ground bully with a big stick and don't want other to fight back using sticks and if they are so upset about nukes then they can always dump the 1000's they have already.

After Iran/Nk/Quba who's next

Are we to beleive the USA never did any missile tests

The misile defence system they are putting into poland is not seen as defencive by the russians but i'm sure halibuton will like it.

after 9/11 i know who the real enermy is and it's time the american people put a mussel on the dog.

hmm........ isn't an emp weapon a tactical nuke ?

looks like Newts come off the meds again

or he's pissed as ......

Guest anorthosite
Nobody found my fvckin' toasters joke funny?

We always find your jokes funny Mr P.

He was just plugging his often co-author book about a fictional EMP strike.

Every year somebody says pure EMP weapons will be working in under 5 years.

This is the science http://www.onesecondafter.com/pb/wp_194d9c...p_194d9c9d.html links to.

This site is devoted to a discussion of the real science and technology behind the Dark Angel television series, although many readers of the popular new book One Second After are here for the extensive information about nuclear electromagnetic pulse. This page is written by Jerry Emanuelson.

http://www.futurescience.com/X5DNA/X5DNA.html

Not to say it isn't a threat, but just frying the electonics instead of nuking somebody is the hard bit.

Guest มร หล&#3
We always find your jokes funny Mr P.

Now don't take the piss Stu, I've had too much coffee tonight and I'm very irritable.

Hold on . . .

I'll just put the kettle on! :angry:

Guest มร หล&#3
Have a slice of toast with it

I've no bread.

Thinking about pasta, but I'll probably just have bloody noodles again.

Both sides have secret weapons so it might take a bit longer but what if NK has bio-weapons.

Uncle Sam has become the school ground bully with a big stick and don't want other to fight back using sticks and if they are so upset about nukes then they can always dump the 1000's they have already.

after 9/11 i know who the real enermy is and it's time the american people put a mussel on the dog.

It's not the military capability of the US that's the problem.They are perfectly entitled to be completely bristling with arms enough to wipe out the entire planet if they like.

it's the political machinery that has been hijacked.

The US on the whole is a benevolent country,and doesn't try and enforce religeous beliefs on other folks in the world(although there is a certain loading-up of rather biased people in congress now making such a scenario entirely feasible)

if we had islamic jihad,or the spanish inquisition in charge of the US arsenal,I would be bricking it.

The US has several problems,and it's not just the rag-heads.

Communism is still very much alive as a doctrine....just see NuLabour!!,and there are factions within Russia,China AND THE EU who are pushing for a marxist-style state,and will use economic and combined military means to achieve this objective.

You can probably throw quite a lot of the other parts of the globe into the mix here too...especially some of the bigger south american countries)

the political infiltration is merely one part of this,and personally I don't think uncle sam will put up with it without it getting extremely messy within their own borders(to a certain extent I think that may also become the case here)

Fook me. Never knew such a thing existed. :blink:

Every notice the TV reception went funny when the hoover was on with the old CRT TVs? Similar thing but a lot weaker.

Is there a way to precisely target an EMP pulse onto say, a single city, without collateral effects (short of utilizing James Bond's "Goldeneye" satellite weapon).

no easy way

if there was a way to direct it the same technology could be used to shield it

Sure they exist. The idea is to neutralise electrical equipment, rendering technology useless via disrupting the electrics using a strong electromagnetic pulse.

I seem to recall something a bit like that in the James Bond film, Goldeneye, though may have imagined it... :unsure: