House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

montesquieu

Why Isn't Everyone Up In Arms About The End Of Fm Radio By 2015?

Just talksport and absolute radio for moi.

I'd go as far as saying I prefer MW. Strange.

I love talksport, Mike Parry's a legend!!!

Shame they axed James Whale. It's crap in the evenings without his dulcit tones soothing my ears

is this just another interim technology like the mercury filled 'environmentally friendly' light bulbs?

surely internet streamed radio is the future , not this crap

The only good thing about DAB as far as I'm concerned, is that I can listen to England playing cricket on Test Match Special without the numerous interruptions for the news, shipping forecast, horse-racing, football scores etc. etc.

Sorry i'm lost on this, are you saying i'll be FORCED to buy a new radio for my car or home? I think i just won't bother. I think a LOT of people won't bother. I think losing that many listeners will be a big incentive for commercial radio to keep transmitting on FM. So we lose BBC. Nah, once they see the way it's going they'll switch back.

And anyway as has been said you can't turn off or ban a portion of the radio spectrum, they came with the planet.

I can't see this happening unless a lot more digital radios are sold, it's just a test the water move.

Turning off the analogue TV signal was justified by over 80% of homes having a digital TV receiver so could receive it. I wouldn't know the number of homes and cars that can receive digital radio (other than on the TV) but it will be a hell of a lot less.

When the question was asked about analogue radio switch off at the time of the announcement of digital TV it was said to be many years in the future because of the much lower take-up of Digital Radio. I cna't fidn a piece on it but I remember a discussion suggesting 20 years.

I can't see how this fits with the "green" strategy though, digital radios (and TV tuners) use way more elctricity and switching over will lead to the junking of several hundred million perfectly good radios.

Sorry i'm lost on this, are you saying i'll be FORCED to buy a new radio for my car or home? I think i just won't bother. I think a LOT of people won't bother. I think losing that many listeners will be a big incentive for commercial radio to keep transmitting on FM. So we lose BBC. Nah, once they see the way it's going they'll switch back.

And anyway as has been said you can't turn off or ban a portion of the radio spectrum, they came with the planet.

Yes, if you want to listen to the same channels that have switched off from FM and have moved to transmitting digitally, you'll be 'forced' to buy a new radio or radios.

You can ban the radio spectrum. The govt legislates who can and can't transmit in the various spectrum categories. If you don't have permission, you don't transmit. Don't know what the penalties are, I'll go google that now......

It's typical they force us all to change light bulbs "to save energy" and then also force us all to buy new radios which use up 10X more power (and are so complicated they will probably break after six months)

Whats the common factor here - industry lobbyists keen to sell more product.

Will we ever get a government who listen to what the people want rather than just pander to big business?

The only advantage of shutting down FM is that the government are keen to sell off the bandwidth to the highest bidder, as they did for mobile phones. Lets say it sells for 3 billion divided by 60 million population thats £50 each, it would actually pay them to bribe us all with a free £30 DAB radio just to get everyone to switch.

Its likely to be sold in narrow digital bands so unlikely any radio stations would be able to buy enough consecutive bands to be able to still broadcast in analogue.

Thinking about it now is probably a good time to write a letter to a few MPs/prospective MPs about this - in the run up to the election they just might notice if enough people were to write in about it.

+1 excellent comment

Yes, if you want to listen to the same channels that have switched off from FM and have moved to transmitting digitally, you'll be 'forced' to buy a new radio or radios.

You can ban the radio spectrum. The govt legislates who can and can't transmit in the various spectrum categories. If you don't have permission, you don't transmit. Don't know what the penalties are, I'll go google that now......

I don't think i'll be that bothered. I think like many people i'm just an occasional listener, only in the car, only if there is nothing else to listen to and for traffic reports. Like most modern cars i can't just put any new stereo in, they are more built in than before so a replacement will either look shite or cost a fortune. As the OP says no one is up in arms about this, that proves the point to me that most people are equally ambivalent to radio. If we don't care that much, we'll not be spending large sums upgrading to something that is not even the same but worse.

Yeah i realise they control the airwaves (i have a radio user licence for marine bands) i just mean that they'll always be there so the radio receivers we have will still be functional. Next time you're in a city go slowly through the frequencies and check out how much pirate radio there is, FM is FULL in London. Just a shame it's all drum and bass with some idiot making shouts out to his crew etc etc Maybe the loss of Radio 2 will spawn a new generation of middle of the road easy listening pirate radio :lol: All the politicians on Radio 4 make me think it's a pirate radio show already. boom boom