House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Democorruptcy

I'm Sick Of The Uk, Any Recommendations From Anyone Living Abroad?

If you were seriously thinking about doing it you would have some of your own ideas. Have you never been anywhere outside of britain you want to live? Face it you are stuck here. Only people who are confident enough to leave their comfort zone can leave the country and you ain't one of them.

Guest redwine
We sold up in October 2007 and have been renting since. Now sterling is doing a bit better my gut feeling is to get out of here before the real rot sets in.

it is not easy to leave your "home" country despite "brown" politics BNP etc and it is not easy to leave your friends ,family etc

as they say in france "out of sight out of vue " not seen anymore and forgot about "

think about it

If you were seriously thinking about doing it you would have some of your own ideas. Have you never been anywhere outside of britain you want to live? Face it you are stuck here. Only people who are confident enough to leave their comfort zone can leave the country and you ain't one of them.

agree

besides where would you go? everywhere is flucked

you could go to Spain and see how they like you competing for there jobs with there millions on the dole, you could go to USA there in a worse state, same as France, germany, eastern europe, new zeland all flucked

run boy run

We sold up in October 2007 and have been renting since. Now sterling is doing a bit better my gut feeling is to get out of here before the real rot sets in.

I spent half my childhood growing up on a farm in New Zealand - Absolutley awesome. I call it Britain with palm trees. Go there at least 500,000 quid though. Houses arent cheap and kiwis negotiate like the Scots.......

I am considering the US next year - Dallas Texas as her indoors has family there.

House prices are about 50-60% what they are here, and jobs seem to be around - but are just as tight as here. Nice people, and culturally not as backward as some would like to make out. They also have plenty of energy and a clause that they can leave the Union if they wish. If that happens, I am informed land prices will go to the moon. Also, they have guns - lots of them. They may come in handy in any Mad Max scenario :ph34r:

I spent three weeks there recently & really enjoyed it. If the TFH's are correct, by next year it won't matter where you are in the West - it'll be global, although I'd fancy the Nordic countrys to come through better than us (nicer people generally - but the languages are a bu66er).

We have already made a move by leaving a built up area in England for our rental in rural Scotland.

Now it feels as though we should have moved further.

Why dont you go on a few cheap holidays to a few places and try and come up with a short list. The expats forum might also be a good place to hang out / enquire.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/

I am considering the US next year - Dallas Texas as her indoors has family there.

House prices are about 50-60% what they are here, and jobs seem to be around - but are just as tight as here. Nice people, and culturally not as backward as some would like to make out. They also have plenty of energy and a clause that they can leave the Union if they wish. If that happens, I am informed land prices will go to the moon. Also, they have guns - lots of them. They may come in handy in any Mad Max scenario :ph34r:

I spent three weeks there recently & really enjoyed it. If the TFH's are correct, by next year it won't matter where you are in the West - it'll be global, although I'd fancy the Nordic countrys to come through better than us (nicer people generally - but the languages are a bu66er).

I hear even Austin, GWs backyard is pretty progressive.

Osborne,

I looked at New Zealand before we moved up here but we wouldn't get enough qualifying points. They don't have the option to buy your way in like Australia does with the retirement visa.

Johnny,

Not taking more fact finding holidays while based further South is one of my regrets.

We have already made a move by leaving a built up area in England for our rental in rural Scotland.

Now it feels as though we should have moved further.

Welcome to God's own country - now please note SNP and lets take the oil and gas and leave England to sink into 3rd world Islamification....

Guest มร หล&#3

Depends on individuals and their circumstances. My life in the '3rd World' is way more comfortable than the one I had in the 1st World. However, I still work in the 1st World and have the income. Not sure it would be so nice if I didn't. But there we go.

Thailand

Nice home

Healthy diet

Spend time with daughter

Gardening

Exercise

DIY

Cooking

Still do the same job, but not on site, all design and tendering work

Nice people here

UK

Bunkabin (little cabin thing) on site, living around stockpiles of contaminated soil

Dreadful, life threatening diet

No family time at all

Only exercise was trudging around site

No kitchen to cook in

Worked 16 hours a day in ghastly, stressful conditions

Aggressive sometimes violent people, never a kind word

It would be different for everyone.

My 'comfort zone' is right here.

I lived in Turkey for a year, had a great time in summer, it was dead in winter, colder than you would think and wetter. Come to think of it the place was windy as well. The Turks screw anything and I mean anything, guys from the east side which borders Iran, Iraq and Syria readily admitted donkeys were not off limits! Being a Muslim country, their women could not even look at a westerner, much less date one. Property is cheap, but don't kid yourself, they will screw you over when you buy, rent or sell. What is worse, they do not want to see outsider working there. Wages 4 years ago were low, $2,000 a year as an national average.

I then I took the yacht to the Caribbean, now we are talking, superb all year round good weather. The Islands differ between them, personally I love Antigua, St Lucia and St Marten/St Maarten. For those without kids, consider a life on the ocean waves as crew. You can get fully qualified with the RYA as a yacht master (Captain) for c 8,500 grand see UKSA in Southampton. There are jobs for all sorts, deckhands, hostesses, Chef's, engineers in particular and Captains. The market is harder now with the recession. If this sounds like you, head for the The British Virgin Islands where 1/3 of the charter market is in the Caribbean. Sunsail / Moorings have 400 charter yachts there, some charterers want a Captain. You'll need a work Visa, they can take 5 months to get, but worth it.

For what it's worth, I left 5 years ago, never regretted it at all. When I visit the UK I find it very grey, grey people who hardly smile, (that's not a dig, just an observation) grey weather and a summer that appears to be elusive as ever. Friends say "it's been sunny for ages" I then find out they mean for 3 days LOL. Goods are very expensive, the UK is viewed as treasure Island by the manufacturers. I was in Canada last year, a Starbucks coffee equivalent 'Tim Hortons' is $1.27. I bought a 36" ride on mower in the UK 7 years ago, I paid the equivalent of $3,500, last year in Canada a 42" cut was $1,,200 and the best make $1,600. Incidental, a 4 bed detached on the ocean front near Halifax on the East Coast were $350k / $450k. Lake front $350k / $400k. The same house not on water but with 1 & 1/2 acres was $250k / $280k. What a country, what lovely people, the only downside, it's cold in winter for 8 months of the year. I am told Vancouver on the West Coast is pretty damn nice as well. I worked out where I was property was 1/6th the price of UK prices.

I had a Green Card for the good old USofA, I gave it back. Don't get me wrong, the yanks are very hospitable, I just found their values not matching mine at all. It's a very hard country. The health care system they have is disgustingly bad. A broken leg now costs $70k - $100k. You insurance will cost you a fortune and is normally stopped on renewl if you have a on going illness or claim. Its all about MONEY, MONEY, MONEY there. Don't get me started on the twisted TV news!

Having said all that, because of my poor health I am looking at buying somewhere on the south coast in Hampshire for summer and the health care, but I'll be abroad for the winter. All my family say don't come back, That's nice I thought, but they assure me it's all to do with the UK's *ucked economy, well that's what they told me!

agree

besides where would you go? everywhere is flucked

you could go to Spain and see how they like you competing for there jobs with there millions on the dole, you could go to USA there in a worse state, same as France, germany, eastern europe, new zeland all flucked

run boy run

tried spain its very difficult to get work that pays enough to live on , you can get very low paid work but even the spanish don't want that then theres also alot of eastern block immigrants out there now and it's not that much cheaper over there now either

Osborne,

I looked at New Zealand before we moved up here but we wouldn't get enough qualifying points. They don't have the option to buy your way in like Australia does with the retirement visa.

Johnny,

Not taking more fact finding holidays while based further South is one of my regrets.

I know 5 years ago if you had a Oz visa for 2 years you could then go to NZ.

I know 5 years ago if you had a Oz visa for 2 years you could then go to NZ.

That's interesting.

I am not looking for employment. I work for myself from home and all I need is a decent broadband connection.

Well I moved to the Isle of Man.

Not too different to the UK except the rain is horizontal in winter. But then I spend the winter at my house on a secure golf course in Nelspruit South Africa.

The Isle of Man government (IoM) has given us £200K in grants for the move and contribute towards running costs for two years.

Tax here is great. Basic rate is 10%, maximum rate is 18% capped at £100K. No Corporation Tax, No Capital Gains Tax and No Inheritance Tax.

Property is not cheap (London\SE prices) but they are falling. Currently a 4 bed detached is around £400K down from about £450K a year ago.

The majority of my work is international so being in the UK or IoM makes no difference apart from the connecting flights.

As there is no Capital Gains tax so I managed to liquidate the UK company and take the £2 million in cash out of the company tax free. Much better than the £1 million Entrepreneurs Tax rate of 10% on the first million and 18% on the rest.

Net loss to Gordon and Darling is around £500K a year in Corporation Tax, Employers and Employees NI payments and Business Tax.

Glad to have left.

Moving to the IoM maybe like moving back to the 1960's but it's not that bad. In fact I like it... :rolleyes:

Guest redwine
Depends on individuals and their circumstances. My life in the '3rd World' is way more comfortable than the one I had in the 1st World. However, I still work in the 1st World and have the income. Not sure it would be so nice if I didn't. But there we go.

Thailand

Nice home

Healthy diet

Spend time with daughter

Gardening

Exercise

DIY

Cooking

Still do the same job, but not on site, all design and tendering work

Nice people here

'comfort zone' is right here.

thailand had a "coup d'etat" in 2006 it was a country under "martial law" until 2007

standard and poor on the 14th of april 2009 reduced there credit rating from A plus to A minus

there seems to be a huge problem with child prostituion there as well as the heroin problem in northern thialand

you could never forget the big "wave" that hit thialand not so long ago they blocked bankok airport i think that the army just killed a few demonstraters

nice people there

I lived in Turkey for a year, had a great time in summer, it was dead in winter, colder than you would think and wetter. Come to think of it the place was windy as well. The Turks screw anything and I mean anything, guys from the east side which borders Iran, Iraq and Syria readily admitted donkeys were not off limits! Being a Muslim country, their women could not even look at a westerner, much less date one. Property is cheap, but don't kid yourself, they will screw you over when you buy, rent or sell. What is worse, they do not want to see outsider working there. Wages 4 years ago were low, $2,000 a year as an national average.

I then I took the yacht to the Caribbean, now we are talking, superb all year round good weather. The Islands differ between them, personally I love Antigua, St Lucia and St Marten/St Maarten. For those without kids, consider a life on the ocean waves as crew. You can get fully qualified with the RYA as a yacht master (Captain) for c 8,500 grand see UKSA in Southampton. There are jobs for all sorts, deckhands, hostesses, Chef's, engineers in particular and Captains. The market is harder now with the recession. If this sounds like you, head for the The British Virgin Islands where 1/3 of the charter market is in the Caribbean. Sunsail / Moorings have 400 charter yachts there, some charterers want a Captain. You'll need a work Visa, they can take 5 months to get, but worth it.

For what it's worth, I left 5 years ago, never regretted it at all. When I visit the UK I find it very grey, grey people who hardly smile, (that's not a dig, just an observation) grey weather and a summer that appears to be elusive as ever. Friends say "it's been sunny for ages" I then find out they mean for 3 days LOL. Goods are very expensive, the UK is viewed as treasure Island by the manufacturers. I was in Canada last year, a Starbucks coffee equivalent 'Tim Hortons' is $1.27. I bought a 36" ride on mower in the UK 7 years ago, I paid the equivalent of $3,500, last year in Canada a 42" cut was $1,,200 and the best make $1,600. Incidental, a 4 bed detached on the ocean front near Halifax on the East Coast were $350k / $450k. Lake front $350k / $400k. The same house not on water but with 1 & 1/2 acres was $250k / $280k. What a country, what lovely people, the only downside, it's cold in winter for 8 months of the year. I am told Vancouver on the West Coast is pretty damn nice as well. I worked out where I was property was 1/6th the price of UK prices.

I had a Green Card for the good old USofA, I gave it back. Don't get me wrong, the yanks are very hospitable, I just found their values not matching mine at all. It's a very hard country. The health care system they have is disgustingly bad. A broken leg now costs $70k - $100k. You insurance will cost you a fortune and is normally stopped on renewl if you have a on going illness or claim. Its all about MONEY, MONEY, MONEY there. Don't get me started on the twisted TV news!

Having said all that, because of my poor health I am looking at buying somewhere on the south coast in Hampshire for summer and the health care, but I'll be abroad for the winter. All my family say don't come back, That's nice I thought, but they assure me it's all to do with the UK's *ucked economy, well that's what they told me!

:lol:

(1) Why would you give something back that could be rather useful in the future ?

(2) I think you may be exaggerating just a little with the leg claim...