House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
wurdoomed

Edinburgh Schools

Having studied the Aberdeen market for some 12 months, I now discover that I have to relocate to central Edinburgh. :o

A bit of a shock but I must admit that the hassle factor is tempered somewhat by my belief that at least property in Edinburgh has to be a good long term bet, as opposed to the long term prospects for the granite city.

My knowledge of Edinburgh is restricted to some excellent, hazy evenings in various hostelries, and I must admit I have not got a clue where the the best areas are.

The first priority I have is to locate good state schools for my little cherubs.

Controversial I know, but can anyone give me a ranking of say the top 6 primary and secondary schools so that we land in the right catchment areas. We intend renting to start but will hopefully buy when the market finally realises that the laws of physics apply in Embra also.

Only condition is that we want to stay within say 20 mins or so by car of Princes Street.

Tin hat firmly on.................

Evening.

I only know the North West of the City very well so I will give you a run down.

Nice Secondary state school. Probably Royal High.

As for Primarys, Blackhall, Clermiston (Used to be dodgy area but well thought of school), Davidson Mains, Cramond.

As for areas. Cramond, Barnton, Blackhall, Braehead, Cammo. All really nice areas. All good catchment areasfor Primarys. All within the catchment for Royal High (I think)

About 4-5 miles from City Centre. 10 minutes on fast bus at quiet times. 30 minutes on slow bus during rush hour.

Near the River Almond walkways, coastal walkways down near Cramond and Silverknowes. Only downside is the airport nearby. It is only a real noise problem for very specific areas though. Most you wouldn't even know. Good links to bypass,M8/9 Fife etc..If you are looking for a relatively quiet laid back family friendly area then North West Edinburgh (The posh bit ;) ) is a pretty good bet.

What sort of price, size of house you looking for if you don't mind me asking ? I can dig you up a few examples from ESPC in areas I know are nice.

I have no schools knowledge, but I hear that 20 mins by car is required to merely travel the length of Princes St these days (tram works etc) by the parallel routes of Queen St and George St, never mind travel to and from it......

A 20 min train journey from either East or West Lothian can get you right into the heart of the city at Haymarket or Waverley, assuming your work will be in the centre, and this could place you and yours in a far more 'rural' setting with the tentative promise of a higher quality school......

A 20 min train journey from either East or West Lothian can get you right into the heart of the city at Haymarket or Waverley, assuming your work will be in the centre, and this could place you and yours in a far more 'rural' setting with the tentative promise of a higher quality school......

In many such areas there is a much higher proportion of housing on rather high LTV and ratio to income mortgages. On the plus side more stressed owners, so perhaps bigger price drops for when you decide to buy. Also perhaps more forced sales and downward pressure on rents. On the down side more stressed owners, perhaps less solidity in price after you choose to buy (presumably you'll buy in the same are so kids stay at same schools?)

Evening.

I only know the North West of the City very well so I will give you a run down.

Nice Secondary state school. Probably Royal High.

As for Primarys, Blackhall, Clermiston (Used to be dodgy area but well thought of school), Davidson Mains, Cramond.

As for areas. Cramond, Barnton, Blackhall, Braehead, Cammo. All really nice areas. All good catchment areasfor Primarys. All within the catchment for Royal High (I think)

About 4-5 miles from City Centre. 10 minutes on fast bus at quiet times. 30 minutes on slow bus during rush hour.

Near the River Almond walkways, coastal walkways down near Cramond and Silverknowes. Only downside is the airport nearby. It is only a real noise problem for very specific areas though. Most you wouldn't even know. Good links to bypass,M8/9 Fife etc..If you are looking for a relatively quiet laid back family friendly area then North West Edinburgh (The posh bit ;) ) is a pretty good bet.

What sort of price, size of house you looking for if you don't mind me asking ? I can dig you up a few examples from ESPC in areas I know are nice.

Good advice from ccc.

Having been in the same situation 5 years ago from London we took a different tack which is the South West of the city.

Its a breeze compared to London. Identify a house, ring the council, actually they appear to have new maps:

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/internet/learn...hment_area_maps

Identify the secondary school you want first. Then job's a goodun!

If you dont mind slightly scruffy but good secondary schools, Boroughmuir and Gillespies I believe are both pretty good. Between those 2 its a choice of living in a flat (gillespies) or a house (Boroughmuir). We plumped for South Morningside and the primary is big but excellent apart from all the people who use it as a free training ground for the private schools a bit later. I think all the feeder primaries for these 2 are pretty good.

Choice seems to be a flat - marchmont (muswell hillbilly the expert!), terrace in Morningside - expensive, or bungalow or newish in greenbank or buckstone, a bit cheaper but still hilariously overpriced (I should know I just bought one!!). Then again you could ring Fred the Shred and offer him for his empty house in the Grange which is in the catchment for Gillespies Primary and Secondary I think.

This all just proves that the school system is completely unfair, if you can afford to buy your way into these areas you can access good education, and obviously if you pay more can access private education!

CCC

thanks for the Royal High tip, it pops us on rob's BBC table also, I guess the name gives it away a bit also.

Our STR fund can stretch to 600, for that we want either an excellent 4 bed Georgian flat or a 5 bed Victorian terrace/semi with parking. That said if we can get something suitable for 300K, and put the rest in premium bonds, we will. Regarding location we want to stay pretty central , it doesn't make financial sense but my wife doesn't feel she's in Edinburgh unless she sees the castle at some point during the day. :unsure: We would however rent for at least 6 months to see how the work goes.

We thought we'd discovered a wonderful Georgian semi overlooked in Portobello, but it is overlooked.... by hi-voltage pylons and a main train line.

TTD

I like the idea of train commuting to Waverly/Haymarket but see above re castle.

Jadoube

Agree 100% with your analysis, my only concern is that Brown will ensure that even the most feckless will be shielded from economic truths and therefore the forced sales may take longer than we have, that, and apparently the recession is over if you read the Daily Mail etc. and I suspect thats given those holding out a fillip.

roblpm

Thanks for the catchment link, invaluable. I know the areas you quote are over-priced however I do believe the fundamentals in Edinburgh are a bit more robust than Aberdeen where we have failed to find the right location/property/value in over 12 months. I also agree that all schools should be of a standard where catchment areas don't matter however we all know the reality.

Not so sure about Fred's pile, I note it got some exterior remodelling when the scandal broke and I suspect that they and the neighbours must live in fear of a repeat, besides, banknote wallpaper with his mug on it is less appealing than woodchip.

Thanks again all for your assistance

WD

Is the extra you'd pay for a house in a good catchment area more than what you'd pay sending the kids to private school? If you've more than one the answer's probably yes, but still 20-25% of kids in edinburgh go to private school apparently, highest proportion in the uk... city's minging with them...

Not so sure about Fred's pile, I note it got some exterior remodelling when the scandal broke and I suspect that they and the neighbours must live in fear of a repeat, besides, banknote wallpaper with his mug on it is less appealing than woodchip.

Shred Mansions seems to have subtle cameras installed in trees out the front now, so I suspect a repeat is unlikely. There is never any sign of life whenever I go past it, though. And I still think it’s a really ugly house by local standards – what ought to be the left-hand bay window at the front only has glass at the sides, and is just stone at the front, which looks very odd.

Is the extra you'd pay for a house in a good catchment area more than what you'd pay sending the kids to private school? If you've more than one the answer's probably yes, but still 20-25% of kids in edinburgh go to private school apparently, highest proportion in the uk... city's minging with them...

But Farquar must go to private school, one must associate with the higher classes (laughs like Queeny off Blackadder).

A good point. If you did send your kid to private school and bought a cheepie house, could you imagine your kids embarassment though when they want to bring Farquar over for dinner. Farquar would sh!t himself walking down Easter Rd by himself!

Edited by geed

Well good luck Wurdoomed. Good name BTW.

I can't believe you are letting your bird decide on the big things. I must be old school. :rolleyes:

Going by a few posters on this site - the central areas of Edinburgh are some of the 'stickiest'.

Cracking houses - but if you go further afield you can get a lot more for your buck.

Good luck. IMO - Rent for 6 months and see how you feel. PLENTY of big family rentals available in Edinburgh just now.

Having studied the Aberdeen market for some 12 months, I now discover that I have to relocate to central Edinburgh. :o

A bit of a shock but I must admit that the hassle factor is tempered somewhat by my belief that at least property in Edinburgh has to be a good long term bet, as opposed to the long term prospects for the granite city.

My knowledge of Edinburgh is restricted to some excellent, hazy evenings in various hostelries, and I must admit I have not got a clue where the the best areas are.

The first priority I have is to locate good state schools for my little cherubs.

Controversial I know, but can anyone give me a ranking of say the top 6 primary and secondary schools so that we land in the right catchment areas. We intend renting to start but will hopefully buy when the market finally realises that the laws of physics apply in Embra also.

Only condition is that we want to stay within say 20 mins or so by car of Princes Street.

Tin hat firmly on.................

We tried to find a decent house in a good catchment area for nearly 2 years before giving up and moving out to North Berwick, which has great schools and is only half an hour away on the train.

I know you want a place in Edinburgh so I agree with the other posts - Edinburgh South is your best bet (Morningside, Merchiston, Marchmont, Bruntsfield, Grange, Sciennes, Greenbank, Braids) for the best primary and secondary schools. You'll be paying through the nose for a house though!

One thing to consider is that many people send their kids to private schools in those areas, and the primarys (esp. South Morningside) are effectively feeder schools for the private schools. Worth bearing in mind if you don't want your kids to lose all their friends mid schooling! Or perhaps you are considering private as well?

One thing to consider is that many people send their kids to private schools in those areas, and the primarys (esp. South Morningside) are effectively feeder schools for the private schools. Worth bearing in mind if you don't want your kids to lose all their friends mid schooling!

Agreed re South Morningside. For this very reason we intend to buy in Bruntsfield or Gillespie's catchment.

Plus SM is a bit true-blue-tory for me :-)

I did my School in a far off antipodean land! I can never remember anything like catchment areas or "send my kids to better school" conversations. It is a shame that in Britain such emphasis is put on going to the "right" school. Many things in Britain are effected by the class society in which we obviously live in. It is a self fulfulling prophecy, by avoiding the so called poorer schools, we all strive to send our kids to the "better" schools...the poorer schools never get a chance and wallow in mediocrity, social divides increase etc... Of course this all drives up house prices also.

Where I come from it doesn't matter whether your a postman or a lawyer, whether you went to a private school or a state school, etc, etc...

Saying that I know my partner went to a private school and it appears her schooling was much better than mine, lots of opportunities, extra curricular activities and a general atmosphere of wanting to better yourself, something I can say I never experienced. So I can understand why Britain is slightly obsessived. Me, personally I did alright though but that was down to my innner character I guess rather my schooling education.

Thanks again for your advice guys; I suspected it might evoke mixed reactions.

Noodle Doodle

I can see the argument re buying in a cheaper area and using the money to fund private education but 1/ despite myself being a victim of the 70s’ comprehensive experiment I want my kids to use the state system and 2/ short of good school imploding the ‘value’ of the catchment remains in the house hence you have it both ways

Geed

I think you may be over-simplifying the motivations of parents that go private. I suspect they realise there is only so much you can do for your kids and getting them the best education available is a perfectly natural instinct. It’s a shame but motivated teachers/parents, good facilities and the like do make a difference. As you say yourself your partner went to a private school and her schooling was much better “ lots of opportunities, extra curricular activities and a general atmosphere of wanting to better yourself, something I can say I never experiencedâ€. Who could argue with that ?

Crotchster

Thanks for keeping schtuum, keep it up.

Thanks again for your advice guys; I suspected it might evoke mixed reactions.

Noodle Doodle

I can see the argument re buying in a cheaper area and using the money to fund private education but 1/ despite myself being a victim of the 70s’ comprehensive experiment I want my kids to use the state system and 2/ short of good school imploding the ‘value’ of the catchment remains in the house hence you have it both ways

Geed

I think you may be over-simplifying the motivations of parents that go private. I suspect they realise there is only so much you can do for your kids and getting them the best education available is a perfectly natural instinct. It’s a shame but motivated teachers/parents, good facilities and the like do make a difference. As you say yourself your partner went to a private school and her schooling was much better “ lots of opportunities, extra curricular activities and a general atmosphere of wanting to better yourself, something I can say I never experiencedâ€. Who could argue with that ?

Crotchster

Thanks for keeping schtuum, keep it up.

the names CRUTCHSTER get it right, ps watch out for undercover EAs like TTD, if you look back at his previous posts its obvious he is a home owner ( how disgusting ) and an undercover EA ( the way he defends remax i suspect he is an agent )spit spit puch :rolleyes:

Never mind TTD, YOU CAN ALWAYS RE JOIN UNDER AMOTHER NAME NOW THAT YOU HAVE BEEN FOUND OUT. ;)

"Get it right", or else what? You'll accuse him of being a Remax agent, too.....? Wow, that would really put the wind up him.

You could always rejoin under another name that folks won't mis-spell ......

What's 'puch' ???

Edited by TTD

Pyracantha set me straight in another thread, though -

"TTD, you are forgetting the whole point of HPC.co.uk is to act as a sounding board for our least favourite tiler to spout off about Remax. How dare you post about anything else. You deserve the wrath of his mighty intellect."

Of course, how silly of me to forget.

the names CRUTCHSTER get it right,

Crotchster

No, there has been no mistake. A quick squint of the OED confirms :

crotchster (krch)

n.

1. The resident amoebae found in the angle formed by the junction of two parts or members, such as two branches or legs, often the cause of a thrush like itch.

2.a. A persistent sniffer of the area on a pair of pants, underpants, or shorts where the two leg panels are sewn together.

Derivation from old English folklore e.g. "he was a crotchster in anyones language, i.e. a A pathetic, transparent property ramper / unemployed tiler, done over by Remax masquerading as a normal human being"

Seems like you tick all the boxes :o