House Price Crash Forum

Defects .v. Rent

The soakaway in our rental does not work properly, so when you get heavy rainfall it backs up and floods the patio with a not too sweet smelling gunge (not sewage, but effluent from washing machine and dishwasher). My landlord purports to be making progress on a fix but I want to ratchet up a fix. If I give him say 1 months notice for the start of the fix, and we get 1 month down the line, and we are no further forward, can I withhold a portion of the rent say 10%, until the work starts. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Report the issue to Building Control at your local authority.

You cannot discharge washing machine water into a soakaway, it is solely for the purpose of stormwater from the roofs of the property.

Washing Machine water is classified as sewerage and is indeed a risk to personal health, especially if you have children playing in the garden.

With regard to withholding rent, forget it, you will get blacklisted, the landlord never loses.

Having had problems with a landlord and repairs in the past, I would suggest calling the council Environmental Health Department (or whatever they're called near you. A call from them to your landlord/agency should speed things up enormously. By the way, laurejon is correct; if you withold rent (at all) you forfeit a lot of your legal rights, so don't do it.

Thanks for your help guys. I think I will give my landlord a months warning before contacting enviromental health.

Need to be a little careful as we are 3 months in to a 6 month term. If I am too agressive he may not renew which would be a real pain, as the family are now nicely settled to see out the crash!. On the other hand it is summer, I am paying #1100 a month, and I would like to enjoy the garden without a whiff in the air!

What do you reckon? :huh:

The soakaway in our rental does not work properly, so when you get heavy rainfall it backs up and floods the patio with a not too sweet smelling gunge (not sewage, but effluent from washing machine and dishwasher). My landlord purports to be making progress on a fix but I want to ratchet up a fix. If I give him say 1 months notice for the start of the fix, and we get 1 month down the line, and we are no further forward, can I withhold a portion of the rent say 10%, until the work starts. Any ideas would be appreciated.

your landlord is in breach of section 11 of the Landlord and Tennant Act 1985 which states the Landlords obligation to repair