House Price Crash Forum

Ba Asks Staff To Work For Nothing

HOLA441

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8102862.stm

British Airways is asking thousands of staff to work for nothing, for up to one month, to help the airline survive.

The appeal, sent by e-mail to more than 30,000 workers in the UK, asks them to volunteer for between one week and one month's unpaid leave, or unpaid work.

BA's chief executive Willie Walsh has already agreed to work unpaid in July, forgoing his month's salary of £61,000.

"Yes, Willie, I'll happily just work for nothing for a month!"

If this isn't the sh*t hitting the fan, I'm not sure what is.

Edited by UndercoverElephant

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Guest X-QUORK

BA staff have today been asked if they'd be willing to bend over and take a shafting for one month by CEO "Big" Willie Walsh. Male cabin crew were delighted, however it's understood all other employees looked decidedly pissed off with the idea.

HOLA448
BA's cabin "service" is getting worse, so, seeing as how most them can't be bothered to do anything anyway, then why the hell should they get paid?

Getting worse? How is that possible - I stopped using them 10 years ago they were so bad then.

HOLA449
BA staff have today been asked if they'd be willing to bend over and take a shafting for one month by CEO "Big" Willie Walsh.

Will he be working for a month without pay?

This is a pretty dire situation. Still, never mind, I'm sure the tax payer will bail them out.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Will he be working for a month without pay?

This is a pretty dire situation. Still, never mind, I'm sure the tax payer will bail them out.

To be fair - yes. He's not going to take his pay for July I think it was. Same for the CFO IIRC

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

One month without pay for Mr Wille means nothing, for a staff member on £15-20k with a family it could sink them.

What a *anker. He should work 1 year without pay. If he can't afford then kick him out, as he's proved himself useless by getting BA into this mess.

Edited by yodigo

HOLA4419
BA's chief executive Willie Walsh has already agreed to work unpaid in July, forgoing his month's salary of �61,000.

A fairer way to do this would be for each employee to give up a fixed percentage of their annual salary- but that, of course, would involve some real sacrifice for the mamagement, which is taking things a bit too far.

HOLA4420
To be fair - yes. He's not going to take his pay for July I think it was. Same for the CFO IIRC

That's fair enough. One can only imagine the ructions had they failed to join in.

Reminds me of one year at my old place, when belt tightening was on the cards, stationary orders over a certain amount had to be counter-signed and we were told to expect a pay freeze. However one of the directors very soon after got a new Saab convertible. "No, no" I was told, he paid for that himself.

However, I knew the person who did the post (and in later years, with staff levels cut back, I did the post myself). I saw with my own eyes that the company was paying for the car.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
A fairer way to do this would be for each employee to give up a fixed percentage of their annual salary- but that, of course, would involve some real sacrifice for the mamagement, which is taking things a bit too far.

Surely a fairer way is to cut senior management salaries to zero as it is their poor management that has allowed this situation and not the "normal" work-force?

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Surely a fairer way is to cut senior management salaries to zero as it is their poor management that has allowed this situation and not the "normal" work-force?

Yes, it's interesting how the bonus culture is a one way street in that respect- massive rewards for doing the job right- but no downside for doing it wrong. The real question is why a CEO asking his employees to work for free has not yet resigned in embaressment- what the hell is this guy still doing in post?

HOLA4425

um, giving up a month's salary is the same as giving up 8.33% of your salary regardless of how much you make.