House Price Crash Forum
Guest BoomBoomCrash

Is Working For Free Going To Become A Trend?

Guest BoomBoomCrash

If BA feels it can ask 40,000 employees to work for free, how long before other big businesses get in on the act? Seems like an easy way to increase profits...

1. Makes an announcement about the need to cut jobs

2. Announce that jobs can be saved if staff work for no pay for a month or so

3 Wait a few months and go back to step 1.

If BA feels it can ask 40,000 employees to work for free, how long before other big businesses get in on the act? Seems like an easy way to increase profits...

If people don't have the self esteem and/or alternative skills to stop it, then yes it will.

Working for free might be OK if you have minimal living expenses - e.g. your housing costs are next to nothing and you never eat. Unfortunately for most in the developed world, monthly outgoings have a nasty habit of requiring an income. I can't see this as a good indicator of economic recovery, particularly in light of the fact that economic success is measured by how much we consume.

In a word, no, I can't see this becoming the norm, as much as employers might like it.

It's a good job BA isn't in the business of anything dangerous like flying people or something like that.

Yes it'll happen more often.

Guest sillybear2

Quite possibly, it happened throughout Russia when they were in a state of financial ruin.

First step to watch is when the government starts paying its employees in coupons (as per California). Mugabe pays his soldiers and police in Western food aid.

State failure, 100% guaranteed.

Edited by sillybear2

This would surely only be relevant to salaried workers.

Will be interesting to see how many salaried workers who though they were better off that way find that when it's netted back they're gettingless than minimum wage.

Guest sillybear2
Is working for free going to become a trend ?

Errr....no. It's called slavery.

Don't be stupid.... you have to feed and shelter slaves.

3. Hope you get a load of people quitting having found jobs elsewhere.

4. Wait a few months and announce 10% job cuts anyway.

5. Wait a few months and go back to step 1.

Corrected

KPMG already did this - asked staff to either take unpaid leave or go down to 4 day weeks.

I guess the difference is actually asking them to work for free.

After school and with bog all job opportunities in my part of the world I offered to work for free for a company I seen that had just made some redundancies in order to get some work experience.

Two weeks in to it I got an interview and the guy offered me the job without even asking about skills based purely on the fact I was keen enough to work for nothing to get experience, so working for nothing paid off well there ;) That said very different situation and I was living with parents at the time and it beat doing nothing..

Edited by ratatat

Guest X-QUORK

It's a bloody disgrace to ask staff to work for free. Unpaid leave I can understand, but to ask them to work for nothing is taking a bloody liberty.

Before donating my monthly salary I'd want signed statements from every board member that they'd revoked the following: renumeration for the same period, annual bonuses, company cars, all benefits such as BUPA and pension payments. Following that, a full statement of money saved and how it is to be spent.

It's a bloody disgrace to ask staff to work for free. Unpaid leave I can understand, but to ask them to work for nothing is taking a bloody liberty.

Before donating my monthly salary I'd want signed statements from every board member that they'd revoked the following: renumeration for the same period, annual bonuses, company cars, all benefits such as BUPA and pension payments. Following that, a full statement of money saved and how it is to be spent.

I suspect they money saved will be spent paying the remainder of their work they're actually getting paid for.

I don't know about working for free - I would love to think that the solution might simply be for everyone to work less.

I haven't been offered the chance, but would be seriously tempted to accept a 4 day working week package, with commensurate reduction in salary.

I actually think that it would represent real progress, as opposed to the sort of progress we have seen the last 30 years or so which consists of longer and longer unpaid work and creeping erosion of workers' rights.

Guest BoomBoomCrash
I suspect they money saved will be spent paying the remainder of their work they're actually getting paid for.

Come again?

Guest BoomBoomCrash
I don't know about working for free - I would love to think that the solution might simply be for everyone to work less.

I haven't been offered the chance, but would be seriously tempted to accept a 4 day working week package, with commensurate reduction in salary.

I actually think that it would represent real progress, as opposed to the sort of progress we have seen the last 30 years or so which consists of longer and longer unpaid work and creeping erosion of workers' rights.

The vast majority of people work long hours because their pay is too low for them not to.

I know people who seem quite happy doing this already. They are salaried for 9-5 hours and insist on getting into the office at 8am and working until 8-9pm each day. This either equates to unpaid hours or reduces the hourly rate to less than minimum wage. When questioned some say it's necessary to keep their jobs. I don't get the logic.

a) Why work for someone who is prepared to rip you off daily.

B) Find someone who values your time and skills.

c) Live life for pleasure, not pain!

that cheecky smiley was meant to be b )

Edited by BudoBear

Guest BoomBoomCrash
In many areas of software development 'working for free' on open source projects is already an established trend.

Sure, but that is done a as hobby by enthusiasts. Also, the vast majority of OSS is now written and maintained by paid developers working for companies like IBM, redhat, Mozilla organisation, Intel, and so on.

Gordon just needs to build everyone a rent free council house and provide them with food stamps.

Working for free would be ok then I guess. :blink:

Think, I'd just claim jobseekers allowance though.

Work for free?

Are you kidding? :lol:

I don't get out of bed for less than 500 pounds.

And, yes, I work in the public sector, as a Grade 2 Diversity Outreach Consultant. Just has a whopping pay rise. Happy days!

Edited by Danny Deflation

The American `Intern` system is basically a way of getting free labour - wonder how long it will take before it catches on here ?

Already has hasn't it? Journalism, law etc.

Its basically a way of restricting access to certain careers to rich kids amidst various annoying equality of opportunity laws.

Anyone can do it [so long as your daddy knows the boss and you can afford to live for two years on no wages in London/New York]