House Price Crash Forum
canny man

No Green Shoots At Ba

From tomorrow, people will be able to opt for blocks of unpaid leave or unpaid work, with salary deductions spread over three to six months, wherever possible.

Let me think about that a minute..... :rolleyes:

Absolutely incredible.

I knew this would happen.... middle and senior 'management' would use le credit crunch as an excuse to take extreme liberties.

We've already had a memo out in our company about the 'opportunities', amongst which are buying distressed companies and the fact that employees are less likely to vote with their feet.

Scum.

Guest มร หล&#3
From tomorrow, people will be able to opt for blocks of unpaid leave or unpaid work, with salary deductions spread over three to six months, wherever possible.

Absolutely incredible.

I knew this would happen.... middle and senior 'management' would use le credit crunch as an excuse to take extreme liberties.

We've already had a memo out in our company about the 'opportunities', amongst which are buying distressed companies and the fact that employees are less likely to vote with their feet.

Scum.

One of my firms, the MD was actively talking about using the credit crunch as an excuse to get rid of loads of unwanted. All the other directors nodding in solemn agreement.

Little did they know he was talking about all of them. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

The boss kept all his worker ants and still calls on me and a few other subbie's.

He says he enjoys going to work again now!

Edited by มร หลบเลี่ยง

I can just see the smiling faces in the Club cabin.

Well paid/expensed passenger - 'Excuse me, can I have another champagne please'

BA slave labour - 'why of course sir/madam, it's my absolute pleasure to serve - it's a hobby really'

WPEP - ' what's this green stuff on my fois gras?'

BASL - 'pistachio sauce sir, I prepared it myself a few moments ago'

One of my firms, the MD was actively talking about using the credit crunch as an excuse to get rid of loads of unwanted. All the other directors nodding in solemn agreement.

Little did they know he was talking about all of them. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

The boss kept all his worker ants and still calls on me and a few other subbie's.

He says he enjoys going to work again now!

You never know... they say every cloud has a silver lining! Maybe this will sort out the wheat from the chaff, ie those that do a good job from those that talk a good job!

I can just see the smiling faces in the Club cabin.

Well paid/expensed passenger - 'Excuse me, can I have another champagne please'

BA slave labour - 'why of course sir/madam, it's my absolute pleasure to serve - it's a hobby really'

WPEP - ' what's this green stuff on my fois gras?'

BASL - 'pistachio sauce sir, I prepared it myself a few moments ago'

That's disgusting.

Would anyone honestly work for free? Why? I would if it was community service, but not for some pr1ck ceo that wanted to make his quarterly statements look good and on target. Fvck 'em.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...l.html?ITO=1490

Struggling BA asks 40,000 staff to work for nothing in desperate fight for survival

By Ray Massey, Transport Editor

Last updated at 1:48 AM on 16th June 2009

British Airways boss Willie Walsh is asking his 40,000 staff to work for nothing to save the airline.

The astonishing plea comes as BA faces what Mr Walsh says is a 'fight for survival'.

The company has written directly to its 40,000 employees asking them to volunteer for up to four weeks of unpaid work.

Pay cut: Willie Walsh, Chief Executive of British Airways has asked staff to work for less money to help save the airline

Pay cut: Willie Walsh, Chief Executive of British Airways has asked staff to work for less money to help save the airline

Mr Walsh announced last week that he would work unpaid for the month of July - forgoing £61,000 in salary. His chief financial officer Keith Williams is also working unpaid for the month.

The appeal to staff goes much further than earlier requests for a pay freeze or unpaid leave.

It also undermines the unions with whom BA is negotiating a wider package of cost- cutting measures.

But it infuriated cabin crew. One said: 'BA now stands for "B***** all" because that's what they want to now pay us. That's the calibre of management we have at British Airways.'

Passengers face the threat of a summer of strikes as the airline goes into battle with unions this week for a deal to slash costs and sweep away what it sees as

restrictive practices. BA is understood to be seeking up to 4,000 job cuts - one in ten of the workforce - including 2,000 voluntary redundancies among the 14,000 cabin crew.

The call for unpaid work is set out in individual letters to staff, and in the BA in-house newspaper British Airways News under the headline Action Time.

It says bluntly: 'Colleagues are being urged to help the airline's cash-saving drive by signing up for unpaid leave or unpaid work.

'From tomorrow, people will be able to opt for blocks of unpaid leave or unpaid work, with salary deductions spread over three to six months, wherever possible.'

'The new unpaid work option means people can contribute to the cash-saving effort by coming to work while effectively volunteering for a small cut in base pay.'

BA adds that the action 'will help minimise the financial impact on individuals, while helping to immediately save cash for the business'.

It denied that those who volunteer-for unpaid work will be given preference when any subsequent redundancies are considered.

The company is also asking staff to consider temporary or permanent part-time work, short-term unpaid leave of up to four weeks, or long-term unpaid leave of between one and 12 months.

Chief executive Mr Walsh said: 'I am looking for every single part of the company to take part in

some way. It really counts. We face a fight for survival.

'These are the toughest trading conditions we have ever seen and there simply are no green shoots.

'Our survival depends on everyone contributing to changes that permanently remove costs from every part of the business.'

Mr Walsh has set a deadline of June 24 for employees to volunteer for unpaid work of one to four weeks. He has also set a deadline of June 30 for a deal with unions, who say he will impose terms if he cannot get prior agreement.

Leaders of all the main BA unions are meeting management this week for talks on permanent cuts on pay, conditions and the loss of up to 4,000 jobs.

The biggest conflict is with 14,000 cabin crew who are gearing up for a major showdown with Mr Walsh which - if it leads to industrial action and strikes - will mean chaos for tens of thousands of holidaymakers.

The Daily Mail has learned that BA ground staff have already rejected the company's proposals by six to one. Insiders say 2,987 voted No while only 487 backed the measures. One said: 'Even the groundstaff are squaring up to Willie for a strike.'

Pilots are also due to be balloted but are proving 'more flexible' and are even considering a pay cut.

BA has frozen pay and axed more than 2,500 jobs since last summer - including 780 management posts. It has revealed a record annual loss of £ 401million, which it blamed on rising oil prices adding almost £1billion to last year's fuel bill, and a major fall in passenger numbers.

Exactly.

But the BA staff are caught in a bind. In normal times (whatever they are) the best staff would say stuff you and go to a competitor - but they won't be hiring, or if they are it will be on significantly lower T's and C's as per Ryanair

Guest มร หล&#3
You never know... they say every cloud has a silver lining! Maybe this will sort out the wheat from the chaff, ie those that do a good job from those that talk a good job!

That's disgusting.

Would anyone honestly work for free? Why? I would if it was community service, but not for some pr1ck ceo that wanted to make his quarterly statements look good and on target. Fvck 'em.

Seriously. The old boy got shot of all his directors. I think the finance director still does 2-3 days a week. A few site guys went, but only the lazy, militant types.

I keep in touch with a couple of the old directors. Still no work

T is a real left-winger himself, so he does look after the little people. Funny old world.

I'm astonished that BA has remained in business as long as it has. After two bad experiences with them in 2002 and '03 respectively I had a 'never again' moment, and could write paragraphs about other people who've gone through a similar process and now avoid BA on principle. In my case I was bumped from an overbooked flight, and they failed to tell the next one that I'd requested a non-lactose meal (due to a genuine allergy, not a foible). 'Pizza or lasagne, sir?' asked the cheery stewardess shortly after takeoff on a 12-hour flight, during which I had to subsist on little packets of peanuts. Next year I was due to meet a Danish friend from a flight at Manchester. It was cancelled, and when I asked the information desk what had happened to her, they refused to tell me on the grounds of data protection (can't give out any information about customers, etc.). I eventually discovered that she'd been rerouted to Glasgow and given a train ticket; not good, given that she speaks virtually no English. This was from a phone call at 3am from the Danish embassy in London, which in turn had been contacted by the police station at Glasgow Airport to where my friend had gone in desparation. BA had taken her money and just dumped her there.

As long as KLM offers flights from my local airport to pretty much anywhere in the world via Amsterdam, it'll be a chilly day in hell before I ever contemplate using BA again, even if they're significantly cheaper then their competitors.

BA's obviously not a viable business anymore. "Working for free".........WTF. :blink:

Laughable, amature night businesses like BA should be put out of their misery.

Edited by Wait & See

Is this why he's paid big money to come up with ideas like this.

Just what does he expect his staff to live on, can you walk into Tescos and say I've worked for free this week can I have some free food?

If you work for free what does the tax man take, surely some of your free work time belongs to the taxman and you should be doing some govt work?

It's happening everywhere though. The recession gave everyone the chance for a huge squeeze. Except for the public service.

That'll change too though

As long as KLM offers flights from my local airport to pretty much anywhere in the world via Amsterdam, it'll be a chilly day in hell before I ever contemplate using BA again.....

Totally agree with the above.

You also have to compare the pleasure of using wonderful Schipol to cesspit that is Heathrow!

n my case I was bumped from an overbooked flight, and they failed to tell the next one that I'd requested a non-lactose meal (due to a genuine allergy, not a foible). 'Pizza or lasagne, sir?' asked the cheery stewardess shortly after takeoff on a 12-hour flight, during which I had to subsist on little packets of peanuts.

Oh, the humanity.

Interesting how the management never seem to include themsleves in these 'work for nothing' proposals.

IF a business/organisation/etc that I worked in had hit a bad patch, and working for nothing for a short while gave the business some 'breathing space' to get back on its feet, I'd support the idea only if everyone shared the pain - especially those in charge who would have been responsible for steering the ship into choppy waters in the first place!

There's just no sense of honour or integrity left in 'management' these days.

Edited by anonguest

It's depressing, but it's always a sign that a company is about to hit the skids when they either fire staff, or ask them to take pay cuts (in this case asking staff to work for nothing). I've known IT firms that got rid of consultants who were bringing in their income. On a wider scale, if the population takes home less money, then there's less money to spend on the firms' products and services. I don't claim to know the answer for BA - there's been too many years of well publicised bad decisions at the place - but I feel a little sorry for people who have to work there, knowing the long term future is probably grim. Who can save BA? Ryanair? (joke only)

Absolutely incredible.

Scum.

I don't think they are scum ... idiots perhaps... apparently BA cabin staff have been earning twoce as much as Virgin cabin staff for years.... BA should in that situation cut wages so that they are competitive but not head and shoulders above the rest.

Like our public servants I would think theres plenty of fat and wastage to cut at BA.

By the by management cutting the salaries of overpaid staff, or cutting working hours or reducing staffing levels during a recession is NOT a heinous act.... they are merely doing their job ... I wonder when some of the more vociferous workers will begin to understand that management have a duty to act for the benefit of their shareholders first in these sorts of things not in the the interests of staff for the sake of it....... happy correctly paid staff are necessary for a well run company BUT when times are tough action needs to be taken or the whole company goes down and everyone loses their job... why is it I wonder that some don't understand this. Cutting the expense account to ensure a companies survival does mean management are taking liberties or that they are scum.

Hey BA - guess what???

I always wanted a flight on that big white supersonic thingy - I CAN AFFORD IT NOW what with house prices dropping n'all.

So.... where do I sign to give you my money??? hmmmm???

Whats that????

You've cut the speedy birds up and given them away? Despite them being profitable? Wouldn't even sell them to that nice man Branston IFRC.

I always knew I'd get my day to point and laugh at you for what you did there!!

HA HA!!!!! you shower of sh1te!!!

You and that other bunch of inbreds (the telecom lot) somehow manage to cheapen the word "British". Don't ask me how that is possible, but you make the word even more tacky and worthless than it already is.

1. reduce cabin staff pay to sector average

2. pilots are just glorified bus drivers at the end of the day. Cut salaries to bus driver+10% levels

3. All staff tiers above cabin crew levels have salary reduced to cabin crew level+1% per current tier. Includes all management and directors. Pay kept at this level until company is profitable for at least 2 years.

Problem solved

1. reduce cabin staff pay to sector average

2. pilots are just glorified bus drivers at the end of the day. Cut salaries to bus driver+10% levels

3. All staff tiers above cabin crew levels have salary reduced to cabin crew level+1% per current tier. Includes all management and directors. Pay kept at this level until company is profitable for at least 2 years.

Problem solved

Statements such as this do nothing other than display your (obviously low) level of intelligence.

Go and ask any of the passengers who walked away from the recent Hudson river ditching if they think they would still be here if their aircraft had just had a couple of "glorified bus drivers" flying it.

I pity you, fool!