House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
200p

Asda Cuts All Full Timers From 40hrs To 38hours A Week

Just recieved a phone call, Asda Supermarket has cut all full timers on 40 hours a week, to 38 hours a week.

I don't think it's national, just the one my relative works for. Staff are not amused.

---

Coincidentially; An, interesting quote I found earlier today relating to the parent company, Walmart.

marwalker - 15 Jun'09 - 15:49 - 66488 of 66490

Thought for the day.... ( not mine but walstreetpro1 on youtube )

In 1950 General Motors employed more people than any other co. in the U.S. At that time they were paid almost middle class wages.

Today the co. that employs most people is Walmark [Asda] ...... their wages are so low that almost 20 % of them receive state handouts in food coupons etc.

http://www.advfn.com/cmn/fbb/thread.php3?id=948390

Just recieved a phone call, Asda Supermarket has cut all full timers on 40 hours a week, to 38 hours a week.

I don't think it's national, just the one my relative works for. Staff are not amused.

---

Coincidentially; An, interesting quote I found earlier today relating to the parent company, Walmart.

marwalker - 15 Jun'09 - 15:49 - 66488 of 66490

Thought for the day.... ( not mine but walstreetpro1 on youtube )

In 1950 General Motors employed more people than any other co. in the U.S. At that time they were paid almost middle class wages.

Today the co. that employs most people is Walmark [Asda] ...... their wages are so low that almost 20 % of them receive state handouts in food coupons etc.

http://www.advfn.com/cmn/fbb/thread.php3?id=948390

That's £11.46 less in wages per employee per week.

Nothing to see here.

Given that most people only work 37.5 hrs a week I don't see this is a big deal considering a large number of companies (including my old company apparently) have put their workforce on 4 day weeks.

a company that can afford to have a guy standing at the door (as well as security staff) who says hello as you walk past.

Guest joeschmo

I can just hear the Guardian Editor now....hold the front page, take off the crisis in Iran and move it to page 2...ASDA workers loose 5% of their hours in some Northern town

Edited by joeschmo

Wouldn't they all be relieved?

It can't be much fun working at Asda after all.

yeah, i bet their more like school children more insterested in the fact that they dont have to work as much. Like going home at 2.30 instead of 3.30. My school did that once, middle school and it was brilliant!!!

Given that most people only work 37.5 hrs a week I don't see this is a big deal considering a large number of companies (including my old company apparently) have put their workforce on 4 day weeks.

And I guess better they lose a couple of hours as opposed to 40hrs of work a week? :ph34r:

And I guess better they lose a couple of hours as opposed to 40hrs of work a week? :ph34r:

True, I was one of the ones that was made redundant from my old job, it's only now that I can see that in some respects I was lucky because if I'd been kept on I would now be around £6-7,000 a year worse off as I'd only be working a 4 day week.

a company that plays a key role in the country's food supply chain in trouble?

what's the big deal?

Like it's got anything to do with being in trouble.

Sorry don't buy the trouble idea.

Husband works for a firm catering for the rich,very rich etc. No problem with income coming in,but now that a recession is on,they will use that as an excuse to make workforce redundant,screw those that are left,don't even think about a pay rise.

Its all about keeping the profits at the same high level as before the recession,by using the recession excuse.

Like it's got anything to do with being in trouble.

Sorry don't buy the trouble idea.

Husband works for a firm catering for the rich,very rich etc. No problem with income coming in,but now that a recession is on,they will use that as an excuse to make workforce redundant,screw those that are left,don't even think about a pay rise.

Its all about keeping the profits at the same high level as before the recession,by using the recession excuse.

the b*stards for trying to be profitable!

just think, if they didn;t try to make profits there'd be no recession. Up the revolution.

1982 is when it all came to the end when the powerful employers were allowed to create the new serfdom.

Watch listen and learn. ;)

How are you Charlie?....great to see you back. ;)

In this documentary Wal Mart are shown to blatantly reduce staff hours but expect unpaid overtime.

The employees meekly comply because the store has already caused all the smaller local stores to close and taken on the staff from them, meaning there are no other jobs to go to.

Highly recommended viewing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473107/

In this documentary Wal Mart are shown to blatantly reduce staff hours but expect unpaid overtime.

The employees meekly comply because they have already caused all the smaller local stores to close by shopping at the big cheaper store, meaning there are no other jobs to go to.

Highly recommended viewing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473107/

Fixed

That's £11.46 less in wages per employee per week.

Nothing to see here

I disagree - the lower the wage the bigger the impact. There are lots of people getting by on £20-30 per week of discretionary spending. Taking a tenner away from that is a big chunk.

I think we need to remember that the majority of HPC posters probbaly earn above the average wage (this is why we can fart about on the interent all day ;o)

Ive worked at or around minimum wage in the past so know this would sting more than a little.

the b*stards for trying to be profitable!

just think, if they didn;t try to make profits there'd be no recession. Up the revolution.

Trying to be profitable? You reckon they wouldn't be profitable without these cuts then?

And less chav bling for the kids of these Asda workers.

If you think anyone affected by this can afford "bling," you're woefully out of touch.

Edited by jmoid