House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cashinmattress

Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Shelter Kill Policy Condemned

Animal Protection Groups Condemn Schwarzenegger Plans To Reduce Animal Home Hold Requirements: The Los Angeles Times has reported that California’s animal rescue system is to be the victim of government funding cutbacks during the recession. If a recent proposal is approved, California’s strays could be euthanised in as little as 3 days, down from the minimum 6 days they have to serve now.

A piece of legislation called The Hayden Bill that was made in the late 90’s states that dogs must serve this 6 day period before they can be euthanised. This legislation aims to increase animal adoption and reduce the amount of dogs put to sleep. A Legislative Analyst’s Office Report has said that there is little evidence to say that the legislation is worthwhile. The report claims the reported $24.6 Million annual figures could be better spent elsewhere.

Animal protection groups are understandably disagreeing with the assessment and are showing their opposition to suspending the 6 day mandate. These groups include: Humane Society of the United States, American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, State Humane Association of California and the Californian Animal Control Directors.

Animal protection groups are saying that cats and dogs will be the victims of recession if the plan goes ahead to cut funds. Jennifer Fearing of the Humane Society has said; â€If shelters are no longer reimbursed by the state for animal holding, they will be forced to cut services. The savings generated by suspending this 6 day mandate is a paltry 0.1% of the $24 – Billion deficit. These funds are the only state dollars that presently go to assisting local governments with the costly problem of pet overpopulation.â€

Jill Buckley of the ASPCA has said: â€Animal redemption and adoption rates have been steadily rising in California until the tidal wave of home foreclosures dramatically increased the number of surrendered animals.â€

The groups are calling for an alternative to the 3-day holding – a year long programme to help shelters survive budget cuts in the short-term. This includes promoting animal adoption over buying a pet.

And in this state a dog is as much as a fashion accessory as a handbag. Disgusting, a complete disgrace. And yes, I do know they are facing a fiscal crisis, but so what.

Dogs/pets are for life.

Sick.

And in this state a dog is as much as a fashion accessory as a handbag. Disgusting, a complete disgrace. And yes, I do know they are facing a fiscal crisis, but so what.

Dogs/pets are for life.

Sick.

Sorry but if they dont have money to feed / house the people do you really think they should be using money to feed animals? I'm an animal lover too, but common sense has to prevail.

they dont vote

I think they polled the cats, they said kill the dogs. The dogs voted to kill the cats. So the consensus was too kill them all. Democracy eh?

It's unbelievable how quickly our standards have slipped in just over 18 months. What's next killing cripples or anyone over 65?

Sorry but if they dont have money to feed / house the people do you really think they should be using money to feed animals? I'm an animal lover too, but common sense has to prevail.

I just am sickened by Californians and their spineless Governator.

There have been shaky financial points in my life, but I always sacrificed to feed and take care of my pets.

These folks are just shallow, soulless scumbags.

Logan's Run?

I pray to dear god we don't follow this route.

A lot of the policies of these politico's are now becoming bang out of order.

It's all very well to hypothesise about these type of ideas,until it happens to your family.

these people seem completely devoid of emotion.Maybe they ought to consider what the consequences of these policies would be if all of a sudden the downtrodden decided they had had enough and decided to experiment on them.

I'm not an animal lover and I don't have any pets, I would have thought a painless death would be better for these abandoned animals than starvation and neglect.

If no one wants them I'm not sure what else they can do. Charitable donations fall off in recession too, so it's not likely that turning to a charity for financial support will be of much help.

I'm not an animal lover and I don't have any pets, I would have thought a painless death would be better for these abandoned animals than starvation and neglect.

If no one wants them I'm not sure what else they can do. Charitable donations fall off in recession too, so it's not likely that turning to a charity for financial support will be of much help.

Why can't the governor spend some of his multi-millions on some kibble and vaccinations?

I think they polled the cats, they said kill the dogs. The dogs voted to kill the cats. So the consensus was too kill them all. Democracy eh?

It's unbelievable how quickly our standards have slipped in just over 18 months. What's next killing cripples or anyone over 65?

Not long for gubernator Schwartzumnegger then.