House Price Crash Forum
cashinmattress

E-poll: Will House Prices Be Higher In A Year's Time?

e-Poll: Will house prices be higher in a year's time?

Barely a day goes by now without some pundit or another speculating that the housing market has bottomed out. There has certainly been some positive data lately, from increases in buyer registrations to mortgage lending improving albeit from a very low base. But have we really reached the bottom? With unemployment still increasing and mortgage rates rising fast, could prices begin to lucrch back downwards? So much depends on buyer and seller expectations that we want to know what you think. Vote in our e-Poll below and have your say in the field below that.

Lol. McSpamish, Sibley, Rinoa, & Valerius get clicking....hopefully it doesn't log IP so you can single handedly swing it back to your favour.

Excellent News all around.

The surest sign that prices are about to rise, is a poll where almost everyone believes they will fall further!!!!!!

:lol:

hamish mcknoob

how the hell can you think that keeping prices up so us noraml folk canot buy you greeedy person you.

i have read your crap for so long on here, get with the program, houses are not worth £10000000000000 that you wish they were.

Edited by ZR_Seanie

One house i noticed for sale appeared on ourproperty - sold for £75000. Quite a big reduction, it started off at £119995, then £109995, then £99995. Not a good area, but it was the cheapest detached house by some way, so im surprised it went so far under asking. Goes to show if you can haggle a big discount is achievable.

Then same housetype went for £188,000 at peak, so a good 60% or so off.

The surest sign that prices are about to rise, is a poll where almost everyone believes they will fall further!!!!!!

that's utter crap.

some of the things you say on here are sensible, and occasionally useful in reigning in the sillier bits of bearishness on the site... but by any reckoning, a situation where both buyers & sellers anticipate falling values can only have a downward pressure on prices.

a more sensible criticism would have been that we have no idea how many people voted in the poll [e.g. it wouldn't be especially useful if over half of voters came from this site]...

Guest Steve Cook
e-Poll: Will house prices be higher in a year's time?

Lol. McSpamish, Sibley, Rinoa, & Valerius get clicking....hopefully it doesn't log IP so you can single handedly swing it back to your favour.

Will house price be higher in a years time?

In real terms, not a chance. They will be much lower than today

In nominal terms, they will still most probably be a lot lower than today

I really can't decide. The market seems to be drifting upwards but it wouldn't take much to send it back down again.

My guess is that it won't be much different from now.

Mortgages are as cheap as they're going to get. The very low interest rates mean that actual mortgage-timespan total house prices (including interest) are often much, much lower than they were, nominally, even if asking prices and actual sale prices haven't fallen much.

Mortgages can only really go UP from here on in**, I reckon.

**This is the very first time I've ever used the term 'here on in' in print!!!!!

Edited by blankster

doublepost.

Edited by spivtastic

With 1.1million houses in Negative Equity provided they dont become forced sellers, means 1.1million houses that wont be going on the market as the owners wont want to realise the NegEq in one hit but rather service it by monthly instalments.

1.1Million homes removed from the market means less property to sell which could push prices up.

Just a thought but still a bear!

these homes [typically bought after 2005 and at the height of the bubble], would probably have been sold for speculative gain in recent years anyway...so soon after purchase. To satisfy pentup demand for specaulative buys and speculative gain on sales.

these properties not coming onto the market due to NE isn't really removing that much becuase the speculative mania amongst buyers is also experiencing a bit of negative equity aswell. :lol:

20millions homes in the UK, 1.1million removed from the market due to NE is 20% of the property market not for sale until prices recover.

Your maths is a bit foggy this morning!

20millions homes in the UK, 1.1million removed from the market due to NE is 20% of the property market not for sale until prices recover.

5.5% not for sale maestro ;)

So you lot actually desperately WANT the value of your houses to fall further?? Or is everyone here so well-informed that you all sold out at the top? Or are most posters here p!ss-pot poor and renting??

So you lot actually desperately WANT the value of your houses to fall further?? Or is everyone here so well-informed that you all sold out at the top? Or are most posters here p!ss-pot poor and renting??

Hello,

Yes, the vast majority of us here on this aptly named site Do wish for property prices to fall much further to sustainable levels.

Some of us DID sell at the top, some sold before the peak and some were just been priced out of the market, and quite sensibly refused to become indebted up to the eyeballs through liar-loans, 125% mortgages and 7x salary.

FYI- Yes, I am renting, and will buy again. Just not right now, we've got a way to go yet. ;)

Hello,

Yes, the vast majority of us here on this aptly named site Do wish for property prices to fall much further to sustainable levels.

Some of us DID sell at the top, some sold before the peak and some were just been priced out of the market, and quite sensibly refused to become indebted up to the eyeballs through liar-loans, 125% mortgages and 7x salary.

FYI- Yes, I am renting, and will buy again. Just not right now, we've got a way to go yet. ;)

Thanks for the pleasantly courteous response. Whilst I do own some properties in Scotland (thankfully debt-free), I currently rent where I live in England. As posted elsewhere here on this forum I want to buy here in England and have £250K as a deposit. I'd LOVE my own house again here, but am wary about buying in when prices likely have further to fall - certainly during the next year I would have thought. The dilemma is how long to wait. I'd trade losing another 5-10% in the next year or two in exchange for the pleasure of having my own place, but not 15-30%...... So a bit like you I guess ;)

I'm "option 2".