House Price Crash Forum

Dyson

Guest redwine

HOLA441
Guest redwine

My hoover a Tornado died last week after over 10 years of loyal service (with a bag)

the "mrs" wants a Dyson a bagless hoover

i was comparing the "data" between a hoover with a bag and a bagless and there's little difference between them apart from the price

Dyson's seem to me to be very expensive and i do not like there "star wars robot " look that they have

is it worth investing in a Dyson? the compare the price style web-sites say that its brilliant but so it should be for it's price

any thoughts ?

HOLA442

Salut Vin Rouge.

In the UK we have a Dyson: bought it many years ago, impressed with the engineering and personally, James Dyson's engineering genius.

It's OK for carpets: useless for most other things as it doesn't produce sufficient suck.

In France we have mainly a German thingy I bought very cheaply from Makro: it's like a five gallon oil drum, topped off by the motor etc. has more suck than a Remora! Can be used bagless (Internal filters) or bagged. Few carpets, totally tiled floors: and loads of old beams! very useful for beams!

I brought back an old Hoover Constellation from the office when we moved: I'd been given this as a Non-Runner by a friend; re-built it and kept it at home for decorating and the garage.

Now rebuilt again; and this old stalwart (bagged) is perhaps the vacuum of choice!

Again has more suck than a Remora.

Excellent for corners, coving, dado, stairs the rest.

We also have a Panasonic bagless cylinder which my wife wanted as a lightweight for stairs etc.

Totally useless: the filter blocks in no time flat: and has to be taken apart and blown out with compressed air. Used it about four times and when I can find ten minutes it's going on eBay!

As I said, the Dyson is sort of OK for carpets, as it has a rotary brush to get into the pile: that said, a decent vacuum with plenty of suck seems to be equally as good.

KISS is my main maxim!

À Bientôt !

HOLA443
HOLA444
Best is a Henry Numatic, bags are about 30p and last a while, it seems to be what every cleaner uses.

Costs £90 or so and lasts forever. My Dyson had the seal problem, filters clogging up, winder failed etc.

http://www.henryvacs.co.uk/

Bang on sir !

In the Henry guarantee it states that they are covered for contract use.

A client stopped me while I was busily sucking away with mine one evening and told me that an American version is called Hank.

Henrys kick @ss.

HOLA445
HOLA446
Guest redwine
Salut Vin Rouge.

In the UK we have a Dyson: bought it many years ago, impressed with the engineering and personally, James Dyson's engineering genius.

It's OK for carpets: useless for most other things as it doesn't produce sufficient suck.

, the Dyson is sort of OK for carpets, as it has a rotary brush to get into the pile: that said, a decent vacuum with plenty of suck seems to be equally as good.

KISS is my main maxim!

À Bientôt !

HOLA447
Guest redwine

merci de m' avoir repondu

sorry about the mix up in the post as you know the french don't have carpets so is it worth buying a dyson?

fair enough he did invent the bagless hoover but i don't know technically speaking he can really justify his high price?

HOLA448

I hate Dysons they are clumsy and over engineered IMO! If you look after any vacuum it will last for ages! Our cheap as chips hoover bagless is still alive (just) after 6 years. Bearings are dead so it is very loud but it works just fine!

I like Sebo vacuums they are very well built and robust but without the Dyson BS. Very powerful too! I also own an electrolux Euroclean which I guess is a commercial version of the henry - this is very good!

HOLA449

sorry about the mix up in the post as you know the french don't have carpets so is it worth buying a dyson?

fair enough he did invent the bagless hoover but i don't know technically speaking he can really justify his high price?

The Dyson's sell really well here in the US which is main reason I have never bought one. They spend a fortune on avertising, which works well here and therefore follows that its overpriced. A friend has one and it sucks but not in the way its supposed to. Should say it blows.

HOLA4410
Guest redwine
Got the Dyson DC-15 Animal (the ball with extra bits for pets) had it for at least 5yrs now maybe 7, never had a problem and would recommend it to anyone as a confirmed bachelor!

I believe the DC-25 is the replacement of the DC-15 so would get one of those if I had to get a vacuum.

Worth every penny and very robust!

a dyson DC-25 Ball costs over 500 euros not cheap for a hoover but if you can count on it why not!!

HOLA4411

Last month, our (very) cheap vacuum gave up - it was 8 years old.

We've replaced it with a Miele cylinder vacuum (a non upright jobbie), which uses bags. It has an adjustable head so you can use it for wooden/tiled floors (switch the lever and some tiny sturdy bristlesappear to raise the head just off the surface). It also comes with a turbo brush attachment for super duper cleaning - especially for pet hair etc (I sew, and have a tendency to leave/drop threads on the floor - this brush is great for lifting them). It wasn't cheap but it does the job very well.

I didn't want a bagless hoover, as I don't understand why you'd hoover all the dust up, then shake it out - releasing some of the dust back out, giving you more work to do....

I also echo the comments about the Henry cleaner - they last well, and do a good job. The extra long tubing makes it easy to clean a large area without shifting the actual hoover about. However - I felt it was a bit too bulky for our small house, and I wanted one I could balance on the stairs as I worked my way up them!

HOLA4412

Not for France, no.

Sans carpets then why would one need a rotating brush? (on the upright versions).

Keep it simple!

I dread to think how much Dyson spares might cost in France!

HOLA4413

I`ve had a Dyson, ok but not great. Essentially over priced.

At the school I work at all the cleaners use these.

Tough all metal body and suck like a b@st@rd ( for 850 watts ).

The Mrs who cleans part time thinks they`re brilliant.

I`ve got one in the house and one in the garage.

I`ve seen them on ebay for about £30.

HOLA4414

First Dyson was good - next 3 were awful, they were after he outsourced a lot of production - great idea, build quality woeful. We now have a Miele cylinder bagged thing downstairs (because it has all of the hard floor attachments) and an upright Sebo for upstairs. Both excellent - we also have an industrial wet and dry vacuum for proper 'mess'.

I just lost patience with putting new parts in the Dyson.... and they always seem to smell after about 12 months. Even if you strip them to their innards and wash and disinfect them all.....

HOLA4415
We also have a Panasonic bagless cylinder which my wife wanted as a lightweight for stairs etc.

Totally useless: the filter blocks in no time flat: and has to be taken apart and blown out with compressed air. Used it about four times and when I can find ten minutes it's going on eBay!

+1. They're utter crap, and mine also quits after 10 mins. 5 mins if you put the suction on max. Never again a Panasonic. Hepa filter model, btw.

:(:(:(

HOLA4416
Bang on sir !

In the Henry guarantee it states that they are covered for contract use.

A client stopped me while I was busily sucking away with mine one evening and told me that an American version is called Hank.

Henrys kick @ss.

Seconded.

HOLA4417

We have a factory second DC20 Animal bought via a friend who was a Dyson employee (damned if I can see why it was assessed as b-grade - looks fine other than some slightly too-swirly mouldings). At the price we paid (£100?) they are quite a good buy. Not sure about the VFM at full RRP.

The Dyson replaced a 20 year old Miele hand-me-down that did sterling service but finally ran out of suck and unembrittled plastic. We would have bought another one but for the good deal on the Dyson.

HOLA4418

We have a dyson 15 animal too and I love it to bits - really good with dog hair and the white skin it lifts from a matress - yyyyeeeeuuuuk!. Anyway sis has been thinking about getting one so I compared it to the animal 25. The main difference seems to be the way the attachments fit on. It was a weak point with the 15 - they would detach easily. The 25 seems to have sorted this problem out. If you are getting one from Currys or dixons - don't forget to use the online discount codes.

HOLA4419

Best vacuum I've ever had was a miele.... built like a brick.....house.

Dyson tried to sell his patent to the big boys but they didn't want to know because they made so much out of bag sales.... apparently.

HOLA4420

Haha, the bag/bagless switcheroo.

Hoovers used to be bagless. Well, they had a permanent bag you emptied.

Then they invented bags as things got 'disposable' (so they could sell the bags as ongoing thing like razorblades) so people didn't have observe their own dust and risk breathing it in etc. This was considered more hygienic.

As soon as these took over the market, they were stuck.

So they 'invented' the bagless hoover again. Convenient, eco-friendly, no fiddling.

They'll reinvent hoover bags sometime soon once market saturation is reached.

The madness of consumerism!

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Guest มร หล&#3

Best vacuum cleaner I ever had was one of those ones you buy at a builder merchants. No bag, just a sort of dustbin affair with a V8 engine on top. It would 'pump' coarse rubble!

Cost about £50 too.

Awesome thing. The intake pipe was about 3 inch diameter.

HOLA4423

I've had a cylinder Dyson for about 8 years - find it very good for both carpets and hard floors and light to take upstairs.

However the plastic bits are a bit flimsy. After a tiddly little plastic bit broke I had to buy the whole new part, not just the tiddly bit - cost £30 which really annoyed me. And another tiddly but vital plastic bit keeps falling off.

Not sure I'd buy another, not unless they sort out the flimsy plastic.

Do find the suction very good though. After reading something about dust mites and their poo in mattresses I applied Dyson upholstery attachment to ours. Don't want to make anybody feel ill but it was unbelievable what came out of a mattress that looked perfectly clean. And the dust mite 'dust' is a different colour from ordinary house dust so I knew exactly what I was emptying into the bin. (Please imagine puke icon)

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
I've had a cylinder Dyson for about 8 years - find it very good for both carpets and hard floors and light to take upstairs.

However the plastic bits are a bit flimsy. After a tiddly little plastic bit broke I had to buy the whole new part, not just the tiddly bit - cost £30 which really annoyed me. And another tiddly but vital plastic bit keeps falling off.

Not sure I'd buy another, not unless they sort out the flimsy plastic.

Do find the suction very good though. After reading something about dust mites and their poo in mattresses I applied Dyson upholstery attachment to ours. Don't want to make anybody feel ill but it was unbelievable what came out of a mattress that looked perfectly clean. And the dust mite 'dust' is a different colour from ordinary house dust so I knew exactly what I was emptying into the bin. (Please imagine puke icon)

Therein lies another problem with the Dysons - sometimes you just don't want to know/see what you've hoovered up, let alone risk breathing in while you shake out the contents into the bin...

Archived