House Price Crash Forum
markinspain

Spain: Paradise Lost

Disagree. f*ck them all...every single person who bought a property this decade contributed to pricing me out the market...

If thats the way you feel you should have got your finger out 10 years ago.you have had the same chances as every one else.

Simply don't understand why anyone would buy property in a country where the property laws are made by the local bigshot.

Spain - it's just for Christmas. Not for life.

you aren't supposed to understand and there will be a lot more of info/programmes like this, wouldn't want everyone able leaving the uk would we?

Have to say I really enjoyed the show, and I liked Mandy. Wanted to hate her at the start but she was good.

My mum had a place very near to La Zenia and was incredibly lucky to sell it just two years ago (following the death of my father). Had I not 'had words' at the time, she'd have held out for more money and be still trying to sell.

The EA's were pretty much scum. Nicely presented in some instances, but scum.

I had a place further up the road in Cabo Roig sold it about five years ago.saw the writing on the wall after the place was robbed twice, and the girls on the game moved on to every roundabout all the way from Torrevjeca.

the guy who had a sales rep come round to his house in the UK and brought 'a place in the sun' to rent out without even seeing it said 'the salesman told me it would increase in value by 50%' :ph34r:

50%! Has he never heard of, if it sounds to good to be true, then it probably is.

If it was immediately going to jump up in value by 50%, why would they want to sell it to you or anyone! :rolleyes:

you aren't supposed to understand and there will be a lot more of info/programmes like this, wouldn't want everyone able leaving the uk would we?

So you're suggesting the corruption of Spanish planning law is a media fiction?

:blink:

So you're suggesting the corruption of Spanish planning law is a media fiction?

:blink:

no, more like when we see and hear more of how bad spain is and how corrupt france is and how expensive italy and crash dubai.....fewer will be looking to quit this sh1t hole and move abroad. Since it is only the able leaving our shores, ie those with money, and they are taking all their money out of the uk then it is not something that anyone in the pwoperdee sector or government wants to happen. I think we will see many more horror stories from abroad.

I think the common dream for those leaving for Spain is a desire for a fresh start. A lot of people reach a point where they are depressed, tired and cynical and reason that it is due to their surroundings. Moving anywhere seems like the solution to the impasse they have reached in their lives.

When they get to their new home it seems like the move worked for the first few months, but as they become habituated they realise the same problems and disatisfactions are there. You can leave home but you can't leave yourself.

The problem is not external to yourself but within. (Having said that it doesn't help if you do actually live in a shithole)

Ageing is the problem and people can't face up to the fact that they are getting older and are going to die soon, they run off and try to recover the feeling they had when they were younger, when things seemed fresh and positive, when there were things to look forward to.

If they are lucky they find a sweet oblivion before bowing out, but most just find a handful of dust.

'Et in arcadia ego'

Edited by GGGGGGGGarry

I think the common dream for those leaving for Spain is a desire for a fresh start. A lot of people reach a point where they are depressed, tired and cynical and reason that it is due to their surroundings. Moving anywhere seems like the solution to the impasse they have reached in their lives.

When they get to their new home it seems like the move worked for the first few months, but as they become habituated they realise the same problems and disatisfactions are there. You can leave home but you can't leave yourself.

The problem is not external to yourself but within. (Having said that it doesn't help if you do actually live in a shithole)

Ageing is the problem and people can't face up to the fact that they are getting older and are going to die soon, they run off and try to recover the feeling they had when they were younger, when things seemed fresh and positive, when there were things to look forward to.

If they are lucky they find a sweet oblivion before bowing out, but most just find a handful of dust.'Et in arcadia ego'

Lot of truth here. They not only find the handful of dust, they also inevitably become it...

If they are lucky they find a sweet oblivion before bowing out, but most just find a handful of dust.

'Et in arcadia ego'

Cor you have realy cheered me up :( have you ever thought of working for the samaratans

Cor you have realy cheered me up :( have you ever thought of working for the samaratans

The thing is I know where i'm going to end up and don't live in denial of it, at least not all the time. If you accept your mortality you can start to think how you should really live and what's important for a good and happy life.

Yes I think psychologists actually call this "the principle of habituation" - the more familiar you become with your environment, the more fatigued you become with it. I think it's part of the brain's coping mechanism - it's part of what allows us to do things robotically so we don't have to keep re-learning.

It's the Catch-22 of human existence - everything becomes routine eventually.

This is one video I will never forget..spanish ghost town -

A must watch IMO.

:ph34r:

Some of the Spanish videos there are worth a watch too . . . well if you like half-finished towns.

This development is obviously a national scandal. There's a forum in Spanish where the unlucky residents discuss topics such as, 'has your street been given a name yet?', the fire hazards of areas overgrown by weeds and which parts of town have working traffic lights.

ONLY if you are not in arrears

& ONLY if there is equity.

If you read all of my original link you will see it there.

http://www.marbella-lawyers.com/articles/s...ing-on-mortgage

EDIT:- It's also in your link!!:-

Firstly the borrower should – where possible – have not already defaulted in the payment of any mortgage installment. Secondly, the lender should not have commenced any formal repossession proceedings and finally the target property – vis a vis the mortgage debt - should not suffer from any negative equity. This broadly means that the currently appraised value of the property must not exceed the mortgage lending on it.

Heavens, don't folk read the links they post?!

EDIT2:- my apologies to 'the fruit', that was uncalled for. I will stand in the corner whilst I buy more $$$

Edited by Laura

David paid 250k euros and expected to make a 50 % return (125k euros) in just 4 years! He also expected the mortgage to be paid by renting it out to holiday makers, which didn’t happen because they go on alpharooms.com and book cheap quality hotels direct instead of renting a flat off a bloke called David.

At auction no one even wanted it for as little as 90k!

160k+ loss. :o

Over 64% loss instead of a 50% profit, from the man who thought it would be better investing in Spanish properdee from a glossy brochure rather than investing in a pension! :o

David paid 250k euros and expected to make a 50 % return (125k euros) in just 4 years! He also expected the mortgage to be paid by renting it out to holiday makers, which didn’t happen because they go on alpharooms.com and book cheap quality hotels direct instead of renting a flat off a bloke called David.

Over 64% loss instead of a 50% profit, from the man who thought it would be better investing in Spanish properdee from a glossy brochure rather than investing in a pension! :o

Too many people believed what they read in the papers. Cast you mind back to 2001/02 following the dot.com bust, the consensus was that you couldn't rely on pensions for a comfortable retirement and that property was the only safe asset class. This was rubbish of course as ALL assets are valued in relation to a market, no asset has an intrinsic worth (other than use value).

The general idea that pensions couldn't be relied upon, state, private, or occupational has now been received wisdom for the past 15 years and has been largely responsible for the misinvestment in property over that time period.

Some of the Spanish videos there are worth a watch too . . . well if you like half-finished towns.

This development is obviously a national scandal. There's a forum in Spanish where the unlucky residents discuss topics such as, 'has your street been given a name yet?', the fire hazards of areas overgrown by weeds and which parts of town have working traffic lights.

A much worse case is Seseña, a ghost town that was built on scrubland quite a way south of Madrid (near Toledo). I believe 13,500 apartments were due to be built, of which less than 3000 have been sold to private individuals, and about 2000 have apparently been bought by banks (including Banco Santander):

http://www.elpais.com/recorte/20080709elpe...cion_Pocero.jpg

Last week the main constructor pulled out and said they weren't going to complete it.

<<< INSERT LARGE PICTURE OF A TEA MUG >>>

no, more like when we see and hear more of how bad spain is and how corrupt france is and how expensive italy and crash dubai.....fewer will be looking to quit this sh1t hole and move abroad. Since it is only the able leaving our shores, ie those with money, and they are taking all their money out of the uk then it is not something that anyone in the pwoperdee sector or government wants to happen. I think we will see many more horror stories from abroad.

I do wish all those on this forum who think the UK is a sh*thole would just b*gger off.

And shut the door behind them.

And yes, I have lived abroad, for 15 years.

I think the common dream for those leaving for Spain is a desire for a fresh start.

I think you're right - but there's additionally the weather.

I had a place further up the road in Cabo Roig sold it about five years ago.saw the writing on the wall after the place was robbed twice, and the girls on the game moved on to every roundabout all the way from Torrevjeca.

God yeah, I remember the hookers on those roundabouts. My parents just used to laugh it off, but deep down they knew they'd moved to a dump with sunshine.

Horrid place.

God yeah, I remember the hookers on those roundabouts. My parents just used to laugh it off, but deep down they knew they'd moved to a dump with sunshine.

Horrid place.

I am shortly moving permanently to St Petersburg.

I thought Russian suburbs were a little lacking, aesthetically, until I saw places in Spain. Think I prefer a dump with snow anyday.

What you have to remember is that economically we are moving backwards in time to the period before leveraged debt. In UK terms that means dirty streets, knackered football stadiums and endemic strikes and disruption.

In Spanish terms, it means fishing villages and subsistence agriculture.

What you have to remember is that economically we are moving backwards in time to the period before leveraged debt. In UK terms that means dirty streets, knackered football stadiums and endemic strikes and disruption.

In Spanish terms, it means fishing villages and subsistence agriculture.

The Spanish are very good at cleaning the street outside their homes. ;)