House Price Crash Forum

Huge Public Sector Job Cuts On The Cards Over The Next Five Years, Says The Cipd

HOLA441

Apparently PS total employment is 5.783 million.

So 350k is nothing, I'd have thought 2m would be achievable without anyone noticing.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
remember 1980ish when the govt proposed the mines introduce automation to reduce costs and secure the future of the UK mining industry - unions put the boot in to that one also.

You have a faulty memory. It was proposed in 1974 ("The Plan For Coal") and had the full support of the unions.

Guess which mines were ultimately shut first by the way...

Edited by Cogs

HOLA443
Guest absolutezero

So 350k is nothing, I'd have thought 2m would be achievable without anyone noticing.

5.783 million out of how many?

Does that include the so-called private sector workers who depend on public sector contracts?

Edited by absolutezero

HOLA444
You have a faulty memory. It was proposed in 1974 ("The Plan For Coal") and had the full support of the unions.

Guess which mines were ultimately shut first by the way...

possibly my memory may be faulty. However, and I admit this is from misty memory, there was also a strike in 1974, when they effectively brought down the Heath govt?

and I'm not surprised which mines were shut first either

HOLA445
possibly my memory may be faulty. However, and I admit this is from misty memory, there was also a strike in 1974, when they effectively brought down the Heath govt?

and I'm not surprised which mines were shut first either

There was a strike in 1972 as well.

The plan for coal was ultimately what emerged from it all.

The deal finally struck was to open new mines in exchange for greater automation and productivity.

They also got their exceptional pay rise, 30+% instead of the "paltry" 16% they'd previously been offered!

I'd definitely agree they got too strong in the 1970s but that was a confluence of events, not least of all having the country by the balls over energy. Their position was obviously only going to weaken after that point, OPEC take note!

Edited by Cogs

HOLA446
I'd definitely agree they got too strong in the 1970s but that was a confluence of events, not least of all having the country by the balls over energy. Their position was obviously only going to weaken after that point, OPEC take note!

mmm - interesting point . cheers

HOLA447

Could probably cut 2m private sector jobs without much decline in output too, though i'm not sure it would be a good idea.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
Sure? How about axing anyone with 'project', 'team', 'manager' or 'administrative' in their job title? All dead weight, every last one.

Careful, engineering project manager here.

HOLA4411

We need to stop all medical research keeping old people alive for longer, we can't even afford to keep the army

of grey vampires going as it is.

All they do it sit at home all day with the heating on full, farting and wondering when to go to Morrisons for their

breakfast.

There must be some point when the NHS can't take it anymore.... new drug for this, new drug for that... they also

end up paying twice the market rate for it all too.

HOLA4412