House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Godley

Bbc Relocation And Its Effect On Hpi In The Nw

With 1600 employees moving into Salford Media City in two years time, each with a £49,000 relocation package and a house to sell from down south I can see this having an impact on house prices in certain areas of the North West.

What are your feelings in this regard?

With 1600 employees moving into Salford Media City in two years time, each with a £49,000 relocation package and a house to sell from down south I can see this having an impact on house prices in certain areas of the North West.

1600, is a drop in the ocean,They will not be buying a terrace in Salford,They will be buying in Hale Willmslow ,and Alderly edge.2hrs on the train away from the smoke.

1600, is a drop in the ocean,They will not be buying a terrace in Salford,They will be buying in Hale Willmslow ,and Alderly edge.2hrs on the train away from the smoke.

Salford Quays?

Salford Quays?

You've been to SQ? I think it would work if it wasn't for the locals and being plonked in the **** end of nowhere and I can't see BBC workers flocking to live there. Do they live at the BBC in London?

Looked at flats back in 2005 (prices silly on the back of the possible BBC move even back then), we declined due to prices and it was like a ghost town on the several occasions we went up there. Not a lot of HPI (as far I can tell) in the established residential stock (St Lawrence Quay, Labrador Quay etc where we looked) in that time either. Always looks barren and desolate in typical Manchester weather.

If I, a mere prole, turned my nose up at SQ, I can't see the hypocritical BBC luvvies for all their multicultiethnicity claims wanting to live in the local neighbourhoods. I would predict some demand in the better city centre developments for the flash harrys and the posh out-of-town WASP-like areas - Prestwich, Didsbury and further afield for the grown-up types.

If Nicky Campbell or similar were to move into my neighbourhood, I would eat my hat, Kirstie style.

You've been to SQ? I think it would work if it wasn't for the locals and being plonked in the **** end of nowhere and I can't see BBC workers flocking to live there. Do they live at the BBC in London?

Looked at flats back in 2005 (prices silly on the back of the possible BBC move even back then), we declined due to prices and it was like a ghost town on the several occasions we went up there. Not a lot of HPI (as far I can tell) in the established residential stock (St Lawrence Quay, Labrador Quay etc where we looked) in that time either. Always looks barren and desolate in typical Manchester weather.

If I, a mere prole, turned my nose up at SQ, I can't see the hypocritical BBC luvvies for all their multicultiethnicity claims wanting to live in the local neighbourhoods. I would predict some demand in the better city centre developments for the flash harrys and the posh out-of-town WASP-like areas - Prestwich, Didsbury and further afield for the grown-up types.

If Nicky Campbell or similar were to move into my neighbourhood, I would eat my hat, Kirstie style.

I work in Salford Quays.

I think I agree actually, South Manchester will see the interest.

But, I do think that 1600 people moving into a relatively small area will have an impact, we have already identified that these people are likely to move anywhere from Didders to Knutsford.

I know the area well and have dealings with the BBC. I would imagine that some will buy flats in the area and try and keep two properties if they possibly can. `Luxury` Flats overlooking the quays were very expensive but empty a few years ago. Not sure where they stand since the peak though.

I work in Salford Quays.

Sorry, my question was a tongue in cheek rhetorical one as I thought you were asking about HPI in the Quays itself. IMHO there has always been a lot of froth in the prices and I don't see much scope for further increase as I don't see where the demand will come from. If I were young, free and single in this area I would live in the city centre and get the tram everyday. Obviously I would expect MediaCity to bring more local atractions for the Quays residents but I just don't see it becoming a residential destination. Happy to be proved wrong :) I certainly wouldn't want to drive there every day for my commute so maybe living there isn't so daft.

This "BBC move" has been debated on HPC for the last 3 years or so. :)

Honestly - to cover old ground - do not confuse the BBC's staff with highly paid presenters. I know, I used to do a lot of work for the Beeb. Most of their staff are on fixed-term contracts at exceptionally poor rates of pay. After 1 or 2 years of that contract, you are out the door. No job. No comeback. The long term staffers are also very poorly paid on average. The only thing in the past that would have pushed NW prices would have been the North/South divide in prices, but that has gone for the most part now. Trying to sell a house in London in two years will be just as difficult as trying to sell one in the NW. And, as we've discussed beforehand, those with families/friends/etc. - i.e. the ones who maybe took out a mortgage in the mid-90's before house prices went silly, so are flush with cash - are the least likely to move to the NW. They'll will just get a new job in The South, or failing that, just keep the family "darn sarff" and rent a flat in Manchester during the week. That's my two cents.

...Although I'm sure the NW EA's will still be trying it on: remember, this was one of the stupid stories that helped drive Manchester flats to insane levels a year or two ago; and today many of those flats are 30-40% down in price. :o

Still, if you feel brave, there's a BTL paradise in Manchester just waiting to be snapped up. :)

Cheers,

Nomadd

Edited by Nomadd

Are they still debating moving Coronation street to the quays as well? Some sort of co-operation deal between Granada and the BBC.

It`s only 2 miles from the current set but it is said to save Granada lots of money if it happens. Sell the prime central site?

Sell the prime central site?

A developer can build more flats on it, that's just what Manchester needs right now, more pretend lofts and lots of glass.